Archery Talk Forum banner

explain this please

2028 Views 32 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  outback1
Can anyone offer a technical explination for this. Todays hunt:nw ohio
Time 4:15 pm
temp 22 degrees
eq- hoyt vipertec @ 28" 65 lbs
goldtip 3d pro with NAP shockwave 100 g expandables

Had a nice 8 pt following a doe, I watched as they crossed the creek and made there way up the ridge where I was at 15' in an oak. The doe pegs me as she comes up the hill but pays no attention, the buck paused for a minute and stared but he didnt pay any attention either, they both pass me and start down the hill hill behind me. she's probley 25 yds out and he's behind her at 12 yds from my stand. He's 1/4 ing away at 12 yds( perfect) so I draw and settle my pin on the last rib ( thinking this will blow right threw him) I let the pin settle and pulled threw the shot (Crack) it sounded like some one hit a grandslam at tiger stadium. The buck trotted away to the top of the ridge, stood for 5-6 minutes before crossing an open snow covered feild to anouther little section ( the entire time I'm waiting to see him crumble).Do'esnt happen, no blood anywhere!!! my arrow is laying as if some one just dropped it in the snow( layng flat) with no insert or broadhead on it!!!! now before you assume I shot a arrow without a broadhead let me tell you I actually looked at the broadhead when I got settled in my stand. I cant figure what the hell happened any ideas??? thanks, I know it dos'nt matter now but I dont want to repeat this again.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no branch

I forgot to mention, there was nothing between us...open space!!!. Could of I hit a rib dead center and could the impact be enough to somehow cause the insert and broadhead to stay in a rib and let the arrow fall to the ground??
It was a perect shot. Well meaning there was nothing between us the angle was good and the shot went off perfect. this puzzeled and wondering if I should switch back to a fixed blade muzzy. this make twice the I have not had good luck using expandables, the first, two shots in the same deer, the broadheads broak off at the threads after the shot, I got that deer anyways. no this...I'm really leaning twords a different arrow combo and a fixed blade set up.

· Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no miss

djscott said:
I forgot to mention, there was nothing between us...open space!!!. Could of I hit a rib dead center and could the impact be enough to somehow cause the insert and broadhead to stay in a rib and let the arrow fall to the ground??
It was a perect shot. Well meaning there was nothing between us the angle was good and the shot went off perfect. this puzzeled and wondering if I should switch back to a fixed blade muzzy. this make twice the I have not had good luck using expandables, the first, two shots in the same deer, the broadheads broak off at the threads after the shot, I got that deer anyways. no this...I'm really leaning twords a different arrow combo and a fixed blade set up.
thanks but again there was'nt anything between us. I just read where expandables arnt that great on quatering away shots, they work good on broadside shots but...thats not what I had. I think I'm switching back to a fixed blade. I think what happened was I hit a rib and it was cold and the aluminum insert shrunk due to the cold. opon hitting a solid bone the energy somehow allowed the insert and broadhead to stay in the rib and the arrow to fall to the ground...of coarse I'm guessing here.:confused: thanks for the imput guys.

· Registered
502 Posts
Ribs, actually, aren't solid bone. If you hit in the rib cage it will make a low pitched hollow thump sound. Maybe you hit the pelvis or shoulder... but if you didn't find a drop of blood in the snow, I'd say you probably didn't hit the deer.

· Registered
1,203 Posts
Two years ago I shot AT a p&y 9 pointer at 30yrds. Broadside shot, When it hit him, it sounded like a proverbial 2x4 breaking. When I got down to inspect the arrow, it was actually laying in the weeds with the broadhead missing and the insert missing. Broke off right behind the insert. There were only two specks of blood period. I figured It hit the front short leg bone and snapped. we never found anything else at all. Sorry for your encounter. i hate when this stuff happens.

· Registered
4,229 Posts
sounds like heavy bone

Sounds like you could have hit the vertebrae. They will stop your arrow in its tracks and leave no blood. Perhaps a weak arrow with a small crack caused the breakage.

HUNT SAFE !!! . . .:)

· Registered
81 Posts
I don't know about hitting vertebrae, i've hit two deer in the spine, once with a 45 pound recurve, and once with the 55 pound recurve that I now use-both dropped the deer in their tracks. The second time (the one in which I used a 55 pound recurve) my Muzzy crushed the backbone and entered the body cavity). Although I was mad that the deer had ducked the arrow and ended up with it in its back, I was pleased with the performance of the Muzzy. I've never tried mechanicals because I believe that they just have a little too much room for weakness, especially in the joints and blades, and my bow probably does not have enough power to make them expand reliably. However, I can understand that the quallity ones would work really well. Sorry to hear about your experience though, it must have been a bummer.

· Registered
1,045 Posts
another thang bout muzzies i shot a small doe yesterday well i shot the arrow was goin to the chest then she ducked and turned and the arrow caught her in the back of the head entered in the right ear and out the left eye it went all the way throug just fletching sticking out well she dropped in her tracks but the muzzy put her down at 35 yards out of a darton storm 60 pounds 383 grain gold tip muzzy 3 blade hundred grain at about 250fps a second but you talk out loud crack that was the loudest but i hope u figure ur story out
u don't believe me i have pics but they are gettin developed:thumbs_up :confused:

· Registered
4,229 Posts
RecurveArcher said:
I don't know about hitting vertebrae, i've hit two deer in the spine, once with a 45 pound recurve, and once with the 55 pound recurve that I now use-both dropped the deer in their tracks.
You said you hit the spine. I assume you mean spinal cord. Spine (spinal cord) and vertebrae are 2 different things. Obviously there are many shot scenearios and shot angles that can hit vertebrae and not hit the spinal cord.

Lets add it up again:

1) 12 yard shot
2) from treestand
3) maybe shooter uses 20 yard pin
4) maybe shooter doesn't remember to aim low
5) maybe shooter also shoots a tad high
6) maybe deer also drops down a little
7) shooter hears a loud crack
8) shooter finds no blood

Sure sounds like a vetebrae hit to me.

HUNT SAFE !!! . . .:)

· Registered
80 Posts
Sounds like either a shoulder or leg bone or a limb, log laying on the ground. Either way sounds like the insert wasn`t glued good. You hit something hard that caused the BH to be left in whatever you hit but the arrow bounced back. My guess is that with snow and no blood...log or limb on the ground.

· Registered
518 Posts
ive put a walmart 3 blade broadhead and a cheap carbon practice shaft clean through a 55 gallon barrel without breaking the insert loose.

now my brick wall, that can cause some problems.

· Registered Elker
7,992 Posts
Leg bone maybe? Only time I have ever really heard that crack noise was when I hit an elk dead center on the femur. Never found the arrow, amazing actually considering the terrain. He ran a little funny at first then when he got to maybe 80 yards or further he began to limp funny. Hardly any blood except for where we caught up to him a couple hundred yards and he stood in one spot for a while but still minimal blood at best. After maybe 300 or 400 yards we did find a good sized piece, 4" or 5", of his femur.

And yeah we got him. Ran him down. Ended up circling backsomewhat but an arrow through the lungs dropped him .30 miles from original hit.

· Registered
8,821 Posts
I missed a yote in some brush a few weeks ago and found my arrow laying flat with no insert. I then found the broadhead and insert sticking in the bottom of an oak. The arrow bounces back about 6 feet or so facing the direction of the shot. The arrow itself shows no damage. You hit something solid but yet absorbing ,,, bone or root. Do some looking around.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.