Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Really Think Archery Should Be Extended In Pa Atleast 2 Weeks Longer. It Seems To Me ,when The Huntin Gets Really Good, The Seasons Over.im Not Sure But In Other States Their Archery Season Runs Alot Longer And On Top Of That, You Can't Hunt On Sundays.i Think Thats A Bunch Of Bull ####.alot Of Guys Work All Week And Can Only Hunt On The Weekends.my Solution For This Problem Is Shorten Rifle Season To 1 Week, Extend Bow Season For 2 More Weeks And Let Those Poor Guys Who Work All Week Hunt On Sundays.i Really Don't Think This Is To Much To Ask, What Do You Guys Think????

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
The best week to be in the PA woods is the last week of archery, which is the second week of November. The bucks are on the prowl BIG TIME then in search of hot does and that is when they are at their most vulnerable. A week later and you won't see any signs of a respectable buck during the day cause they'll be holed up in some hell hole thicket with a hot doe and won't move unless she does. Only deer that will still be out roaming are the smaller bucks that weren't tough enough to earn a doe. If they were to extend archery season, which they unfortunately never will, they should open it up a week or two earlier so you could catch more bucks on a feeding pattern.

I don't see any real need to shorten the gun season, but I do see a HUGE need to have buck and doe separate again. As for Sunday hunting, I truly would love it, but if it doesn't pass, so be it, I've gone without it for 12 years now, so it's not like I'll be losing anything if it doesn't pass.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I Don't Agree With Ya And I'll Tell Ya Why.a Thicket I Hunted In The Last Week Of Achery Last Year Was Super Productive.on The Last Saturday I Saw 5 Different Bucks.i Never Got A Shot That Day But I Swore To Myself I Would Return To That Thicket With Archery Tackle Before The End Of Rifle Season.on Dec.9 My Buddy And I Returned To The Same Thicket With Our Bows And Video Camera.at 9am He Shot A 11pt Grunting And Chasing A Doe....all Captured On Film.i Do Agree That At Some Point Those Big Boys Will Get And Stay Bottled Up In Some Hellacious Thicket But You Can't Tell Me Those Big Bucks Are Gonna Bottle Up Right After The Second Week In Nov.the Last Week Is Awesome ,i Take It Of Every Year But Another Week Or Two Longer Would Be Key

·
Registered
784 Posts
I like having buck and doe together, makes it much easier for the working guys.

I think the big reduction in doe licenses this year is similar to having the shorter season, less licenses = less killed

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
If you want to change laws you need to have a better reason than, "Wahhh, I want to hunt that season. Their grass is so much greener than mine is."

I can't believe states still have blue laws. That would be enough to get me to move.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I am 100% in favor of sunday hunting. I go to a school where ocasionally they have classes on saturday and that leaves me with one evening the WHHOOLE week to hunt ONE EVENING. So Im in favor of an extra day. What is with the guys against it thougt I mean come on if you dont want to hunt on sunday...DONT GO OUT nobodys forcing you to be in a tree so dont let it effect other people. Most guys who oppose sunday hunters are the yoyos that only go out first two days of rifle and first saturday and thats it. It just burns me to know people are against such a thing. I cant wait till I move west! :angry: :mad:

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
You are aware that PA has more than one rut, correct? That buck that your friend shot was on December 9th which was during the second rut, I have seen them grunting and chasing that time of year myself. Secondly, don't fool yourself in to thinking that is a very common thing. There are A LOT less does in heat that time of year so half the time hunters wouldn't even be aware it's going on unless they happen to cross paths with a hot doe that has a buck in toe.

However, December 9th is not even in the 2 week window you are talking about to extend archery. Two weeks from the end of archery would take you up to the opening weekend of gun season which is still November. I would bet a TON of money that if you would have returned to that thicket the following weekend you wouldn't even know there was a mature buck in the area unless a doe dragged him out of the thicket.

Not trying to sound arrogant or start a pis$ing match, but there is a big difference between hunting the prime time of November when all does will come in to heat and waiting another 2 weeks and hoping one does. ;)

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
I think archery should just come in and stay in until the end of the late season. I'm up in the air about the sunday hunting issue.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I Agree With Alot Of Your Points ,but What You Said Earlier Was That The Bucks That Were So Hot That Last Week Of The Season, Will Pretty Much Bottle Up After The Last Saturday. That's Where I Disagree...another Week Or 2 Would Be Prime Time In My Opinion.it's Hard To Pinpoint The Peak Of The Rut, But You Just Can't Say Those Big Bucks Are Done Chasin After That Last Week Of The Season

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I think you get a lot more resistance against Sunday hunting from non hunters as compared to hunters. Seems like all the hunters I talk to would be in favor of it. Problem is over the fall and early winter months, a lot of people take to the woods to enjoy the leaves and hiking. Only day they feel safe to do that is on Sundays. Personally, dosn't really matter to me, but I certainly would not object to it. :thumbs_up

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
Aaaaaa, tomato tamoto lol, I'm in favor of extending it just like you say, regardless of whether or not our views are the same. I too see your points and they are well noted, you're just wrong :tongue:

LMAO, J/K bud, good luck this fall !!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I Do Hope Your Right About Not Having A Chance After That Second Week.. Now I Won't Be So Salty About Having To Quit After That Last Week!!! I Know, I'll Just Shoot A Buck This Year Before That Time Comes, Im Sure The Rut Will Hit At The Same Time For Both Of Us.....by The Way Im From Butler Wmu.1a

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
PA has some dumb laws that is for sure. My personal opinion is that archery should come in and stay in, never going out before gun season. Allow sunday hunting and shorten gun season to 9 days long. (sat thru following sunday)

I also think that big bucks certainly are not done when our season goes out. I've spent too much time in the woods between the end of archery and thanksgiving and have seen MANY big boys out and about during that time.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thankyou Heavyarrow, My Point Exactly..pa's Laws Suck,thats For Sure, And The Big Bucks Are In My Opinion Are Just Gettin Fired Up That Last Week!!!!!!!!!and We Gotta Hang It Up, I Hate That Time

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:
The best week to be in the PA woods is the last week of archery, which is the second week of November. The bucks are on the prowl BIG TIME then in search of hot does and that is when they are at their most vulnerable. A week later and you won't see any signs of a respectable buck during the day cause they'll be holed up in some hell hole thicket with a hot doe and won't move unless she does. Only deer that will still be out roaming are the smaller bucks that weren't tough enough to earn a doe. If they were to extend archery season, which they unfortunately never will, they should open it up a week or two earlier so you could catch more bucks on a feeding pattern.
Opening it up a week earlier would just put pressure on a week earlier, I don't think that would give any benefit.

As for the last week of PA archery. First, it depends on the year. SOme years it is the best, some years it is not. I have hunted PA MD and WV. MD and WV do not go out that week, and that is when I have seen some of the biggest bucks I ever have.
The biggest buck I killed in PA was the first day of rifle season. He was chsing a doe and rutting heavy. He was the worst smelling deer I have ever seen. I saw him chasing does 3 times the last two days of archery. He was still hot over a week later.

I don't see why bucks would hole up that week. They are still chasing does, escpecially if it has been a warm year.

Just my opinion.

I think it would be great, but I doubt we ever see it in PA because of teh revenue gun hunters bring and how much they would whine if archery when right up to rifle season.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Agree Silverback, The Weather Does Effect The Rut In A Big Way.last Year It Was Kind Of Warm The Last Week And The Buck Activity For Me Was Unreal,all The Big Bucks I Saw Were Late Morning To Early Afternoon. I'll Be In My Stand All Day On The Last Week This Year For Sure!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
PA.Bucks said:
I Do Hope Your Right About Not Having A Chance After That Second Week.. Now I Won't Be So Salty About Having To Quit After That Last Week!!! I Know, I'll Just Shoot A Buck This Year Before That Time Comes, Im Sure The Rut Will Hit At The Same Time For Both Of Us.....by The Way Im From Butler Wmu.1a

Butler, good lord that explains so much lol :tongue:

In all seriousness though, what part of Butler u from? I always fish Lake Arthur & Glade Mills, Butler is about 30 minutes from my house. I have inlaws that live off of Bonniebrook and I am very familiar with the area in general.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right Down Of Meridian Rd, About 1 Mile From Benbrook

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
My wish list?
Sunday Hunting (We won't see this for many years if ever for deer:thumbs_do )
Keep Antler Restrictions
Start the season Sept 15 end 3rd week in Nov not 2nd.

And maybe a training class for the guys who can't seem to tell the difference between a button buck and a mature doe. :confused: I'd go so far as to say, if you shoot a button buck you have to tag it with your buck tag.
That would slow the machine gunners down a bit.

Check stations sure wouldn't hurt either because they don't have a clue how many deer get shot in this state........formulas shmormulas. :thumbs_do They should just pick a harvest number out of a hat.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts