Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
General question first...I understand that externals give you a longer "set life" than using the internal batteries only and I assume it is logical 4 AA are better than 2 AA. Is 2Cs better than 4 AA? Is 2 Cs better than 8 AA? Whats the order here?

Are these wired in parallel?

More specific question...What battery set up would you put together in order to get +/- 6-8 weeks using the S600? I am using a 1040 case. Is this possible with the limited space?

Are some types of batteries better than others for long life?

Thanks in advance from another Newbie.

· Registered
392 Posts
If you will put Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables inside the camera and 2 c cell Duracells for externals you should get 90 days run time easily unless you are getting 100 pics a day. Easiest way to think in battery terms is 1 c cell =2 aa cells so 2 c's is like 4 aa's....1 D cell is like 2 C cells so 2 D cells is like 4 c cells or 8 aa cells. Depending on the board you are using determines the amount of external power you can do. I know I can do a S600 with a Simple Sniper board and 2 C cells with no problem at all. To power the 600 you want to keep groups of 2 batteries. So DO NOT USE A 4 CELL HOLDER !!! You will get 6 volts from 4 cell holder. Get 2 of the 2 cell holders and wire black to black and red to red!!!!

· Get Out
1,046 Posts
More specific question...What battery set up would you put together in order to get +/- 6-8 weeks using the S600? I am using a 1040 case. Is this possible with the limited space?

Thanks in advance from another Newbie.
You can get a set of C externals in the 1040 with an s600/ yeti combo. Here is a build I am finishing today with that set up.

· Registered
6,055 Posts
Here is the trouble. When you hook alkalines in Parallel you are taking a risk of batteries exploding or leaking. Alkalines are not rechargables and one weak battery can cause that weak battery to be charged by a stronger battery. The overheating can cause the battery to explode or leak. So it is far safer to run 2 c or d batteries instead of four aa in parallel. I have a real hard time getting people to understand this. I seen this happen more than once. You buy a set of batteries and you think they are good because they are new. Well it only takes one bad new battery to cause these issues. Never think just because they are new you have good batteries. I use c batteries in most of my builds.

· Pay It Forward
27,098 Posts
Here is the trouble. When you hook alkalines in Parrelell you are taking a risk of batteries exploding or leaking. Alkalines are not rechargables and one weak battery can cause that weak battery to be charged by a stronger battery. The overheating can cause the battery to explode or leak. So it is far safer to run 2 c or d batteries instead of four aa in parelel. I have a real hard time getting people to understand this. I seen this happen more than once. You buy a set of batteries and you think they are good because they are new. Well it only takes one bad new battery to cause these issues. Never think just because they are new you have good batteries. I use c batteries in most of my builds.
Well said!

Joe

· Registered
480 Posts
I run nothing but AA rechargeable batteries. I would rather put 3 sets of 2 in parallel with each other and save money over time. To add to what Charles said, you run the risk of acid in the unit from back charging the externals, or wasting battery power. For example, if you put 2 AA rechargeable batteries in the camera and then 2 D external alkaline batteries in there and come back a month later. You have the option to either throw away the D's because the unit says the battery is at half power, or leave it in there and hope it lasts. With rechargeable AA's you just swap them and call it a day. The initial cost to run a bunch of AA rechargeables can be substantial, but over time you save compared to throwing out C's and D's all the time. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for in life. Don't waste your money on $ store batteries.

· Registered
333 Posts
. Well it only takes one bad new battery to cause these issues. Never think just because they are new you have good batteries. I use c batteries in most of my builds.
Ok so how do you tell if your new batteries are good??? will takin a reading on each one tell you if they are or not? or do you have to wait for some use before knowing???

· Registered
333 Posts
sorry to take over this post but I want to know sometthing I just pulled all my batteries out and checked all the voltages, can you tell me which ones are still ok still will work and which should be thrown away here we go
4 tenergy AA rechargables 1.37 each (just off charger this morning
6 D energizer\durracell brand new out of package 1.49
6 rayovac C 1.34 (I believe these ones have been used for externals or something already, but is 1.34 still usable or not?
3 durracel Cs 1.38

· Pay It Forward
27,098 Posts
Not a bigfoot - but a Yeti...

same principle would work with the BF - tube - shelf over the tube - batts on the shelf....

Joe

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I run nothing but AA rechargeable batteries. I would rather put 3 sets of 2 in parallel with each other and save money over time. To add to what Charles said, you run the risk of acid in the unit from back charging the externals, or wasting battery power. For example, if you put 2 AA rechargeable batteries in the camera and then 2 D external alkaline batteries in there and come back a month later. You have the option to either throw away the D's because the unit says the battery is at half power, or leave it in there and hope it lasts. With rechargeable AA's you just swap them and call it a day. The initial cost to run a bunch of AA rechargeables can be substantial, but over time you save compared to throwing out C's and D's all the time. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for in life. Don't waste your money on $ store batteries.
So does utilizing all rechargeable AAs also eliminate the risk of acid leaking from alkalines that Charles described? This set up would be the best scenario?

· Pay It Forward
27,098 Posts
Anytime you're wiring up batteries in series or parallel - there is always a chance for these issues, you just minimize it by running all rechargeable - I use Enloops in my cams and standard alkaline in the reserve sets and whenever I change batteries, I change them all - I have only had one battery issue and that was when I changed the rechargeable and not the reserves - we all have a brain-fart once in a while:embara:

Joe

· Registered
6,055 Posts
Running all rechargables in the cam works real nice. Here is where things get foggy. Not all nimh batteries are the same. the original nimh batteries will self discharge themselves in two to three weeks. Now you can get hybrids like the eneloops. these bateries do discharge but at a much slower rate. They say it takes about a year. They are more expensive. Here is a link to some.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tenergy-Centura...708329423?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item3cb36d67cf

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.