Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys carry extra broadheads in the field if so how many?

Also do you take extra arrows not in your quiver?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Do you guys carry extra broadheads in the field if so how many?

Also do you take extra arrows not in your quiver?

Thanks,
Chris
I have a 2 piece 6 arrow quiver and carry 5 arrows with BH and 1 with small game head. Never ran out or needed anything more.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
No sir. I usually take 3-5 arrows in to the woods with me and my opinion has always been if I can't kill anything with that many arrows then it's time to go home lol I understand crap happens and arrows can get broken and such but all in all I don't see the need.

Now if I were planning a 10 day do it yourself hunt in the middle of nowhere then yes I would most certainly have back ups for my backs ups back up :tongue:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I just take what is in my quiver on day hunts. If I shoot through all of them I should go home anyway. If I am going on a trip I would take more though.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I take 4 arrows/broadheads on day hunts. On week long hunts I have at least a half dozen more back at camp.

Lien2

·
Banned
7,286 Posts
I take 4-5 arrows, 3-4 with broadheads and one with a judo point to lay the smackdown on any small critters running about!

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
6 arrow quiver fully loaded. I keep extra arrows and heads in the truck.

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
6 arrow quiver, fully loaded with arrows and broadheads...extra arrows and broadheads stay at home.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Wow, I have only been taking in 3 arrows with broadheads.
Maybe I should rethink this. I never heard of somebody using more than 2 arrows. And mostly just as a finishing move if the deer is doing the shake and bake on the ground in front of you.

What are others experiencing? Are you carrying 6 because you are allowed to take more than one animal at a time? Here I can only shoot one then have to check it to get another Tag.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Maybe I should rethink this. I never heard of somebody using more than 2 arrows. And mostly just as a finishing move if the deer is doing the shake and bake on the ground in front of you.

What are others experiencing? Are you carrying 6 because you are allowed to take more than one animal at a time? Here I can only shoot one then have to check it to get another Tag.
You never know what might happen. I have the room in my quiver, so I fill it, and take it off once in the tree. I'd rather have too many and not use them, than have a Booner come by after I have missed three other deer and the arrows are stuck in the dirt, or I've shot 2 does and missed a buck and 3 is all I brought with.
On week long, out of state hunts, bringing 6 more is the min. In rugged terrain all it takes is one hard fall on my quiver to do damage to 4 arrows. Being many miles and hours away from any kind of town that might have an archery shop would put a quick end to a hunt if I don't bring extras, and that usually involves way more than I need. :)

Lien2

·
Registered
2,581 Posts

I have emptied my 6 arrow quiver when the hogs come in.

·
JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,079 Posts
Never enough for TXcookie

Last yr I shot more than once,,,, more than once:wink:

I always have 4 BH arrows on me! I use Stinger, Nuge Blades, and zwickie so if I wanna kill a small critter I cut them like I would a big one and resharpen later!

I usually load up my old hip quiver and leave it in the truck for back up!

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
5 arrow quiver equipped with 3 BH's and 2 SGH's normally. In the truck I have my bow case with another dozen arrows and my tackle boxes with an assortment of goodies. This is standard for me whether I need it or not.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
4 arrows with BHs, sometimes a 5th with a judo tip for day hunts around home. On a trip, a minimum of a dozen arrows and at least 6 BHs. But when I leave camp it'll be with just 6 BH tipped arrows. But as others have mentioned, if I take that many shots and I haven't filled my tag, I probably have no business being out there.

·
Banned
3,254 Posts
5 arrow quiver, 4 good broadheads, one old one for squirrels and such. Been a lot of times I needed another broadhead, not sure why anyone would only take one.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
sience i hunt basically right out back i take 3, sometimes 4 if i want to whack a squirrel.probably wont take small game arrows anymore though, shot a phesant one day this year and it "died" right on the spot at 42yds. 5 minutes later after laying there still, it takes off flying with my arrow still in it. never found it.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
If I need more than my 6 fully loaded BH tipped arrows in my quiver i am having a REALLY bad day or a REALLY great day:darkbeer:

I carry 6 because I'd rather have too many arrows than not enough and we pretty much havge unlimited tags. i have taken 3 deer in a sit and i know guys who have taken 5+

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
4 arrow quiver, 4 arrows with broadheads. that's all....have a 3 arrow quiver on my mathews. never needed more than two (spine shot the first arrow and needed the second for a finisher)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts