Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a my first long bow :smile:, and unfortunately the bowyer that I'm ordering from doesn't make arrows. I've looked online and I've come across lots of arrows, but they are usually at 32". Then there are the aluminum arrows which give me a headache because I have no idea what the 4 digit numbers mean (i'm guessing it's something about the gauge of the shafts).

I would appreciate any assistance in getting a hold of some arrows aluminum or wood. Also, the bow i'm ordering is going to be 50# instead of the recommended weight of 40# because of the longer and presumably heavier arrows.

Thanks!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Fyi

The four digit code for the aluminum arrows is broken down into two parts:
The first two digits are the diameter of the shaft The second two digits are the wall thickness. You can alternate between wall thicknesses and diameters to get an arrow that is best spined for your bow/draw length. Good Luck and have fun with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My draw-length is 33inches, so i was adding 2 inches which is what i should be doing, right? Or is it only 1 inch? Still 34 inch arrows...:mg:

I'm 6'5" btw and i've got long arms. I think i remember hearing that someone shot them on a youtube vid from an english warbow or something.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
AMO (ATA) draw length is measured from the deeepest part of the grip to the nock point on the string at full draw + 1 3/4". So if your truely a 33 inch draw your bow would measure 31 1/4" from the nock point to the deepest part of the grip. On a longbow a 33 inch arrow would probably be in front of the riser. The problem your going to have is getting the correct spine on an arrow that long with the weight that low. Check Eastons web site and see what they reccommend

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Easton Legacy arrows are very popular with the traditional shooters. they offer quite a few shaft sizes that are 34 -34 1/2 inches in the Legacy series. You should be able to find a shaft that would work well for you. Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so I checked on easton's site and they have the xx75 legacy arrows
that are 2512 and are 34 1/2 with a spine weight @ 29" of 299. But they are not listed next to the arrow in sizes--only in the chart below. couldn't find them on lancaster either...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bump.
anyone know where to find long arrows? i emailed a couple companies that produce wooden arrows, and i am still waiting for a reply...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts