Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an Extreme Angler, a Bow Fisherman. I have been since my teens.
Now, every time I go to my local spot, a lake 2 miles from my home, usually with my 7yr old son, I get sneers or nasty comments from these Pin-Heads,
the "Catch & Release" fisherman. I just usually tell them that I spent the $53 for my licenses.
Today, the 1st guy sneers at me and asked me if I shot the "Coi fish". I told him I exterminate Carp! And reminded the Fly Fisherman, that Carp eat all of the Game fish eggs and reduce the population on the lake of Bass, Talapia, and Trout. All of which are stocked annually.
An hour later, this "Hippie" guy that smelled, as in unwashed, :pukey: approached me and my son and warned me that Archery was no allowed at the park or lake area. I walked over to the local posting of Rules and Regs and sure enough, it says, 'no archery or golfing at the park area.'
I explained to my, new found friend, complete with his Led Zeppelin tattoo, that I'm Bowfishing, not shooting Archery, which is another sport entirely. And assured him that I had called the State Game and Fish and was given the OK to Bowfish anywhere in the state, in park that are Public waterways.
He didn't like that much and told me that I was committing a "Safety Violation".
I then walked away as I was done wasting my time with this guy. I'm as much of a fan of Led Zeppelin as the next Baby Boomer/Generation Xer, but I had to draw the limits. I ignored him and he chased off another family there after chewing their ears about me being "Dangerous". :secret:
They finally got in the car and left.
Turns out, when I was on the other side of the lake, this guy says to my son that if he didn't catch a fish soon before I got back from the other side, that he was going to "hit you with my fishing pole!":mg:
He laughed about it, as my boy tells me, and packs up his gear and leaves.
Needless to say, the next time he and I meet, he's getting an ear full about talking to other peoples children!
Any of you other Bowfishers deal with this crap???

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
That is completely uncalled for. Arrogant *******. :angry:

:izza:

I'm an Extreme Angler, a Bow Fisherman. I have been since my teens.
Now, every time I go to my local spot, a lake 2 miles from my home, usually with my 7yr old son, I get sneers or nasty comments from these Pin-Heads,
the "Catch & Release" fisherman. I just usually tell them that I spent the $53 for my licenses.
Today, the 1st guy sneers at me and asked me if I shot the "Coi fish". I told him I exterminate Carp! And reminded the Fly Fisherman, that Carp eat all of the Game fish eggs and reduce the population on the lake of Bass, Talapia, and Trout. All of which are stocked annually.
An hour later, this "Hippie" guy that smelled, as in unwashed, :pukey: approached me and my son and warned me that Archery was no allowed at the park or lake area. I walked over to the local posting of Rules and Regs and sure enough, it says, 'no archery or golfing at the park area.'
I explained to my, new found friend, complete with his Led Zeppelin tattoo, that I'm Bowfishing, not shooting Archery, which is another sport entirely. And assured him that I had called the State Game and Fish and was given the OK to Bowfish anywhere in the state, in park that are Public waterways.
He didn't like that much and told me that I was committing a "Safety Violation".
I then walked away as I was done wasting my time with this guy. I'm as much of a fan of Led Zeppelin as the next Baby Boomer/Generation Xer, but I had to draw the limits. I ignored him and he chased off another family there after chewing their ears about me being "Dangerous". :secret:
They finally got in the car and left.
Turns out, when I was on the other side of the lake, this guy says to my son that if he didn't catch a fish soon before I got back from the other side, that he was going to "hit you with my fishing pole!":mg:
He laughed about it, as my boy tells me, and packs up his gear and leaves.
Needless to say, the next time he and I meet, he's getting an ear full about talking to other peoples children!
Any of you other Bowfishers deal with this crap???

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I'd file a police report. Threatening a child is not okay. Then, let him make the first move, but not the last, if you see him again. Get it on record.
Don't leave your 7 year old by himself while you are on the other side of the lake.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd file a police report. Threatening a child is not okay. Then, let him make the first move, but not the last, if you see him again. Get it on record.
Don't leave your 7 year old by himself while you are on the other side of the lake.
Yes, I won't make that mistake again.

·
Oklahoma bowhunter
1,525 Posts
I would hate to say that I can see how anyone could see you with a bow and shooting an arrow (archery) and think you were in the wrong by shooting the bow, even if you were engaged in a "totally different sport" that involves archery.

Those "Pin heads" you refer to are helping fund outdoor recreation and conservation just as much as you are. Just because a guy chooses not to engage in the same activities or beliefs as you do, doesn't mean he is an idiot or moron.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Those "Pin heads" you refer to are helping fund outdoor recreation and conservation just as much as you are. Just because a guy chooses not to engage in the same activities or beliefs as you do, doesn't mean he is an idiot or moron.
I agree. I am as much of a diehard bass fisherman as a deer hunter. With Bass I always catch and release. I do know that many bass fisherman around me who catch/snag carp kill them and toss them in for the turtles to eat. The carp eat bass eggs as someone else said so why does it matter if you bow fish them or fish for them with rod and reel?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
We had a lady call the cops on us cause we were bowfishing on a river, (well river run-off) pond type thing in the middle of nowhere where some people river fish. The cops came because we were discharging projectiles from a moving boat in her words. The cop tells the lady, they're fishing and everything is legal. She tells him to get a real job?

Ignore them, they don't know what the hell they're thinking and just assume its illegal.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Just got back from bow fishing we were running the boat past this fancy new house with two rich looking woman sitting on the deck. Thought we were in for a earful but they just asked a few questions and said good luck.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
I would hate to say that I can see how anyone could see you with a bow and shooting an arrow (archery) and think you were in the wrong by shooting the bow, even if you were engaged in a "totally different sport" that involves archery.

The person he was refering to is an idiot! To threaten a child because he can't catch a fish. The other should respect the type of fishing that anyone is doing. To give the "stink eye" to any other sportman is crap!

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,332 Posts
I'm a flyfisherman, and I rarely ever keep any fish.......unless I'm camping and I want a Brookie dinner.

So, what were we talking about?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

:thumbs_do
Wow, thanks for defending poor judgment and bad behavior!
Too bad that they, the Pin Heads, don't feel the same about me or my family!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I agree with both sides.. unfortunately

All I did for years as a kid until I was 20 years old was fish for trout.. loved it. Then I had a shotgun couple of years and got tons of good eating ducks and two deer. About 15-17 years ago I got absolutely hooked on bowhunting for deer.
If people just could understand that we are ALL sportsmen/women, this thread would not be a problem. 30 years ago, I would have sided with the fisherman only, and now I see both have the right to have a good day! The person that started this thread had a quality reason to be upset. That fisherman had NO right to talk to the 7 year old at all unless the 7 year old was hurt or needed help.
Both sides have the same right to fish.. regardless of how the fish is caught, rod or bow. It's obvious that some areas are catch and release and not suitable for bow-fishing

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing that I should re-state, is that I'm not blaming the other Anglers that are "Catch & Release". I made it sound like I held ill feelings for them, I don't at all.
I'm just pissed at these local yokels, for giving me a hard time about Bowfishing and the Hippie guy, just went over the line by far! To him, I'm sure it was a joke, but it was inappropriate.
Just to clear up my intentions...Peace to all my Fishing Brethren!:angel:

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
I walked over to the local posting of Rules and Regs and sure enough, it says, 'no archery or golfing at the park area.'
I explained to my, new found friend, complete with his Led Zeppelin tattoo, that I'm Bowfishing, not shooting Archery, which is another sport entirely.
This is the part that has me confused. Sounds to me like the guy was correct. Bowfishing is "archery" no matter how you want to spin it. I've come across more than one CPO that was confused on matters similar to this and gave poor advice. You might want to double check the legality of what you were doing with the PROPPER authorities.....the ones that apparantly wrote and passed the regulation that archery is not allowed there....JMO.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I did before I went there. I called our local state Game & Fish, like your DNR folks in the mid-west. They were kind enough to refer me to the regs, which page it was on and the pdf online with all the info.
Pretty much, I can take the big fish, Cat fish, Carp and Talapias.
I'm wanting to keep sharp, no pun intended, for my 1st Hog hunt in TX this month!:teeth:

·
Oklahoma bowhunter
1,525 Posts
:thumbs_do
Wow, thanks for defending poor judgment and bad behavior!
Too bad that they, the Pin Heads, don't feel the same about me or my family!
I referred to any individual and especially any individual that were aware of the rules that were put in place and how I could see why an individual would inquire about your archery activity. If you consider that defending poor judgment and bad behavior then so be it.

Skeptic pointed out exactly what I was talking about and rdj-pencilart is in the same shoes I am.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
It wasn't that the guy inquired it was what he did AFTER AZLongbow informed him that what he was doing was legal.

:izza:

I referred to any individual and especially any individual that were aware of the rules that were put in place and how I could see why an individual would inquire about your archery activity. If you consider that defending poor judgment and bad behavior then so be it.

Skeptic pointed out exactly what I was talking about and rdj-pencilart is in the same shoes I am.

·
Registered
39 Posts
:D
but why do they have to be A**** about it? They got a problem refer it to the Park Ranger or local law enforcement to clear it up....

I can see the first point, since our perspectives tend to be skewed without adequete information, and it too far from the truth in that bowfishing IS technically archery I suppose...if bowfishing is legal and in the regs, simple matter to repaint something that says (exempting bowfishing with legal state licenses)

but one person helping to fund outdoor recreation being rude and threatening to a child because he doesn't agree with how the forum member is funding outdoor recreation is BS to me. Reminds me of how gun owners split into vocal groups against each other, when should be united, depending on their interest in certain firearms. I agree with an above poster stating sportsman are sportsman. I hate to fish, but i'm not going to poo-poo on all the guys getting boats and fishing gear at Bass Pro yesterday. Reminds me of the gun clubs I belonged to. I didn't shoot skeet, paid my dues and an active member of NRA. But my group and I got poo'd on in meetings and by members because we were in the USPSA league, and they didn't agree with us 'Rambos'. Regardless we had more shooters at our monthly meets, therefore bringing in more cash to the club monthly than skeet did in two months. Elitism within a group or association isn't a good thing.

I don't agree with something, doesn't give me call to crap on someone else's views or interests and especially not be rude and talk smack to a child. I notice he didn't talk smack to the adult with the bow!

I asked me wife (police officer of 17 years and a supervising sgt) and she said you definatly had cause to file a report of threatening a child, and provide information like description, plate # etc.

my .02, and which wasn't asked for :D

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I dont have a problem with bowfishing but some bowfishers give you all a bad name just as with hunting and other things. One place I and a lot of others fish the bowfisherman throw all there carp and gar all over the bank and you can hardly stand to even go down there when it gets warm for the aweful smell of rotting fish this I do have a problem with cause they are ruining my enjoyment of my sport. Now I know that not every bowfisher does this and i think they should enjoy there sport as much as I enjoy mine. The other way around those guys should have left you alone and let you enjoy your sport just remember things go both ways. The thing with your kid I would have a major problem with and you had every right to be really pi**ed....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I saw the Hippie guy today and was pleasant to him and said good morning, and he started in again about the Archery and Bowfishing being dangerous. My boy was not with me. I told him again, that I called the city parks and rec. and was given the OK to Bowfish as long as I'm taken the approved fish, and not shooting targets on the hills around the park. He started raising his voice to me and I told him that I thought it was inappropriate to say that he would "jokingly" tell my 7 yr old son that he was going to hit him with his fishing rod if he didn't catch a fish before I got back!
At 1st he denied it happened and then said that he was joking. I asked him to please not to talk to my son again, unless I was with him and it was about fishing. I told him I understand that it was joking but that he IS a stranger and my son was scared of him after that "joke".
I got no apology to pass on to my boy. We'll see next time we are all at the lake together, maybe he'll just say it to him rather than me.

As it turned out, he still held a grudge and bad-mouthed me to every other Fisherman at the lake this morning, that would listen. One guy came by me and said to me, "That guy's crazy and babbled about sh** for 10mins about how you don't need a Fishing License at that particular lake?!?!".
Turns out this guy doesn't even have a State or City Lic. and is pulling fish out of there on a daily basis!
Needless to say, Game & Fish will be getting a call this Monday morning.
I got his plate # and description. I'm not trying to be an A-Hole about it, but come on, this guy's breaking the law and then complaining about me Bowfishing, for no other reason than he doesn't like it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts