Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please don't flame me on this (big grins), but, I just got's to know...

Mr Viper has been extremely kind in his analysis and recommendations, for which I for one, am very thankful.

Quick Facts, 62" Polaris (21 inch riser), 35lb limbs, shibuya DX plunger, true pull length 26 inches, industry standard (add 1 3/4), what 27.75 or almost 28 inches. Age 57, standing 5'6". Was sold Easton 1916s Jazzes cut to 29 inches nock to insert. Originally using 65 grain points (measured on my reloading scale). Shooting Indoor 20Yard league. Second league (Winter), averaged 230 (low 218, ouch, high 250, yeah). Generally shoot high 220s to mid 230s using the 65 grain points.

Mr Viper recommends 1816s Platinum Plus cut to 29 inches, and I'm about to acquire some (apparently minimum is a dozen) (found some in an old shop in town, fletched and inserts for about what I can get from Lancaster). Very cool. The owner is out of town, so I have to wait (sad face).

Both Viper and the shop owner recommended I continue shooting the 1916s for now (at least until I can get tuned for the 1816s). We changed the points (screw in) to 90 grainers on the 1916s and this has helped somewhat since I notice less fishtailing and the groups have improved (at least at 20 yards). I tried some 100 grainers, but, they didn't seem to help as much. We're dialing in and I'm excited. Spring league is coming up and I'll use the 1916s at this point, with no Summer indoor league, I can play elsewhere.

Now for the idiotic question, when I switch over to the 1816s and tune, and, this is really an academic question, what kind of flight pattern would I get out of the 1916s if the bow is tuned for the 1816s?

Do I just retire the 1916s (have only eight, so no real loss). Do I donate to a local school, given the generally light bows and overspining? Kind of curious as to others' thoughts on this issue.

Got to love this forum...lots and lots of very good information and the willingness to help others is an absolute pleasure.

·
Registered
20,770 Posts
Dano -

IF (big IF) you can actually get the 1916s to TUNE (notice I didn't say fly) correctly, then 1816s would show weak with the same tune.

I figure you're going to need the 1816s sooner or later, so you might as well bite the bullet. However, I would hang on to the 1916s. When you do upgrade your equipment, or increase weight, having a stiffer set of arrows to "test" isn't a bad idea.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See, I knew there would be an answer...thank you, sir.

Oh, and with your help(and a tip of my hat), I have convinced my wife that a good aniversary present (May) would be a set of 1816s.

·
Registered
20,770 Posts
Dan -

Love it when a plan comes together...

:eek:ccasion1:

Viper1 out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts