Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.. i want to get into tournament style 3-d shoots, but don't know the first thing about em. I hunt with a bear assault, its my only bow but i'm a decent shot. Are there tourneys for hunting rigs or are they all for the fancy target bows with pimped out paint jobs (that i'm extremely jealous of ha!) Lets use this post to answer some questions that some might be too embarrassed to ask =)

· Registered
919 Posts
I've got some....How are 3-D shoots scored? How many rounds, are there rounds? Divisions?
That kind of depends, is the club using ASA or IBO scoring. If you go to either website(ASA or IBO), you can find out the scoring format. Most all of our local clubs use ASA, 5, 8, 10, 12, 14. Also it all depends on how many targets the club wants to set out, generally 20, 25, or 30 depending on where you are shooting.

As far as classes, you have them all at most places. Cub(kids), Traditional, Hunter, Open, and Open Money are the classes we have at my home club.

Hope this helps.
Brian

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
from the novice to the pros, big or small there is something for everyone at 3D shoots. might want to shoot novice or hunter just remember to have a good time!
so are novice and hunter classes you can shoot your hunting rig in or is it strictly target bows? or a mix? does it even matter what you shoot?

· Registered
919 Posts
so are novice and hunter classes you can shoot your hunting rig in or is it strictly target bows? or a mix? does it even matter what you shoot?
Hunter class is strictly hunting rigs. Novice I believe,(don't make me swear to it), it is the same. Once you get into the target bows is where Open class and Pro classes come into play. Now at our club you can shoot in Open or Pro with your hunting rig, the yardage is just more than hunter class.

· Just beat Terry Club
9,369 Posts
Hunter class can be shot with any type of bow. You'll find some guys in there with a target bow but shooting a hunter setup. (12" or less stabilzer, fixed pins,....check ASA guidlines) You'll find some shoot the fatter target arrows as well. When I first got into 3D I shot hunter with my whisker bis. hunting arrows and competed. I soon realized that i was "stacking the deck" against myself with this set up so I went to a dropaway rest and fatter arrows to grab more lines (not intended to hunt with--just for 3D shoots). Still shoot basically the same set up other than my stabilizer is 14" now so I shoot in the unlimited division.

Bottom line. Don't let the word tournament scare you. Bring you hunting bows, camo arrows and whatever you got and enjoy yourself. 3D is not just for fancy bows and pretty shirts.

· Registered
919 Posts
Hunter class can be shot with any type of bow. You'll find some guys in there with a target bow but shooting a hunter setup. (12" or less stabilzer, fixed pins,....check ASA guidlines) You'll find some shoot the fatter target arrows as well. When I first got into 3D I shot hunter with my whisker bis. hunting arrows and competed. I soon realized that i was "stacking the deck" against myself with this set up so I went to a dropaway rest and fatter arrows to grab more lines (not intended to hunt with--just for 3D shoots). Still shoot basically the same set up other than my stabilizer is 14" now so I shoot in the unlimited division.

Bottom line. Don't let the word tournament scare you. Bring you hunting bows, camo arrows and whatever you got and enjoy yourself. 3D is not just for fancy bows and pretty shirts.
^^This^^ also, good explanation Bob

· Just beat Terry Club
9,369 Posts
i shoot a single pin HHA are these sights allowed? or are they just not a good idea?
Depends on the club. Some will say it's a hunting sight and let you use it. Others will say well it's is adjustable so you have to shoot open. You can always shoot a practice round if they want you to shoot open and just not enter your score.

· Registered
102 Posts
Just go shoot some practice rounds. Shoot from the stakes (distances) you are comfortable. Most of us practice in the backyard from known distances. 3 d shooting will improve your yard judgeing skills as well as your shooting skills thus making you a better shooter in the field. Google 3 d shoots to find clubs and schedules in you area. I use shootarchery.com but I think they are regional and may not include Ohio. Alot of clubs allow you to shoot practice rounds during the week or on off weekend when they don't have tournaments. But as Bo Bob said don't let the word tournament intimidate you. You can just shoot a practice round on tournament weekend as while. It is normally cheaper and you feel no preasure that why. Talk to folks and ask question while at the range, you will find that the majority of the shooters are friendly and eager to help you. Get out there and start having some fun.

· Registered
200 Posts
Best thing is to find a archery club near you and go from there . Once you find a club , just find out the dates of the tournaments and show up . 3D is the best practice for bow hunting you can do , it sure has helped me out just from being able to judge yardage alot better !!

· Registered
81 Posts
This might help explain some things that have been asked. This is a link to a local organization that has several shoot locations around my area. You can click on the rules and you will see that there are many classes from young to old and from novice to expert.
http://downeastarchery.homestead.com/deac.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.