Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am right handed but left eye dominate. I was hard-headed and started and continued with right handed bows. I always struggled a little bit seeing a distant target.....not so much up close. As the eyes get older, I am starting to lose this battle overall. About 2 years ago, I stopped wearing my contact lenses and started using my eyeglasses. That helped, but it’s showing itself to be a short term fix.

What are my options if I want to continue shooting right handed? Any gadgets to help or should I just admit defeat and start looking into left handed bows?

Thanks for any tips you have to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
If you use a scope you might try this. I did and it works great for me. If you’re a long time right handed shooter, and getting older, switching to left handed at this stage may end up being an expensive exercise in frustration. This is an inexpensive solution that’s worth a try. I would consider switching to a left handed bow at this stage as a last resort, only after you’ve tried this or some of the other devices that are designed to deal with cross eye dominance.
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/coffey-double-vision-blocker.html

·
Registered
427 Posts
From what you've said, it doesn't sound like eye dominance is really the issue. You've just described poor eye sight. Is your vision in your left eye any better? If you can see better out of your left eye then maybe it'll be worth the switch, but otherwise I don't see the point.

(I'm cross dominant as well, or at least was. See mez's post)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what you've said, it doesn't sound like eye dominance is really the issue. You've just described poor eye sight. Is your vision in your left eye any better? If you can see better out of your left eye then maybe it'll be worth the switch, but otherwise I don't see the point.

(I'm cross dominant as well, or at least was. See mez's post)

I am left eye dominate. My right eye is my weak eye and has always needed correction to prevent a lazy eye issue. When I wear corrective lenses or glasses, it goes away.

My left eye is definitely my dominate and stronger eye. I just always preferred to muscle through it because I can’t stand the thought of doing anything left handed. Throwing a baseball left handed is comical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I wear safety glasses when I shoot and am cross-dominant. I put a piece of tape on the lens over my left eye that blocks my central vision at full draw. This way my weaker eye takes over and everything lines up much easier.

I just did a multi-discipline shoot this weekend (25yd handgun, 50yd rimfire rifle, 50yd muzzleloader, 100yd centerfire rifle, 30yd archery, and 16yd Trap). I left on my "archery" glasses with the tape on the left lens and everything I shot with open sights was easier to line up.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,045 Posts
PM sent. Thx

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I am left eye dominant and right handed. I just do what I do with a gun since I was young. I close my left eye. I only need to see the target anyways. Anything with a front and rear sight for me is a one eye only deal. I Don't need my left eye on a rifle, why would I need one on a bow?

Closing my left eye is like breathing... it is natural for me.

I can open both eyes after I acquire the target and my right eye will stay dominant for that shot, but I don't like see all that non-essential garbage with my left eye open. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
One of the mathews pro ladies that was shooting at lancaster last year is cross dominant and she attached a blinder to the sight to block her dominant eyes vision to the target.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Why do do you want to lose half of your vision by shutting you left eye? In my family I’m the only that’s left handed, left eye dominant. My two kids, and wife are "cross eyed". Right handed, left eye dominant.

My family couldn’t hit water from a boat right handed. Left handed they can hit what they want. You’re losing 50% of field of vision by shooting with your left eye closed. Doesn’t matter if you’re shooting spit wads on the school bus or shooting powder burners. If you use your dominant eyed you will shoot more accurately.

In my experience teaching archery alone 20% are left handed whether they know it or not.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,768 Posts
I'm left handed and left eye dominant and shoot a bow right handed and shoot dang good. I just learned to have my right eye take over and it was pretty easy for me. Squinting my left eye and aiming with the right fell in place. As I continued shooting a bow my right eye just takes over. Kill deer with pretty much ease, placed and won in several archery events, 3D, Indoor, Outdoor and Field.

I shoot all firearms left handed, placing and winning in Trap, 200 Meter Silhouette with pistol, Precision pistol and rifle. Now quit shooting firearms except for hunting and plinking.

69 years old this last March. Wear glasses to read.....

·
Registered
19,045 Posts
OP main complaint is his right eye is losing vision & not really about dominant eye.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts