Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am a UK resident who has shot with club equipment for the past 6 months and I want to drop some cash on a bow.

I took a trip to "The Longbow Shop", where I was well received by some fantastic staff and given a proper tour of the falco range.

But!!

I still have to make the choice between the falco trophy and force and the grip is the make or break for me between the two.

The high wrist grip on the force vintage wasn't as comfortable feeling, but felt more secure and suited to my rather large hands than that on the trophy. I was using a bow that was too short for me however, so it wasn't not as properly attuned to my form as I would hope the 70" will be.
Any advice?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I just checked out the pics of both bows on the Falco website.

The Vintage looks to have a deeper, more recurve-like, higher-wristed grip. The Trophy has the lower-wrist, more "traditional" longbow grip, though with the pistol locator.

You might want to try the "over the shoulder hoist" to see if the bow lays nicely in your hand. I take the bow in my bow hand and hold it up over my shoulder with a bent elbow and the limbs parallel to the ground . Relax. Feel how the bow naturally balances in your hand. Bend and straighten the elbow, lifting the bow up and down like you would a weight. See how the grip feels laying naturally and effortlessly in your hand. Note the difference between the two grips. One might begin to "call out" to you at this point.

I also simply hold the bow with both hands with arrow nocked in idle mode, as if waiting my turn to shoot. Shift it around a bit, pointing it downwards, sideways, up a bit, etc. and see how the grip feels in "idle". Does the hand like the mate?

My fingers are long on a skinny frame. Some of my grips on either longbows or recurves are quite huge, and some are quite thin. I actually like them all for shooting and most of them pass the "over the shoulder hoist" and "idle" test quite comfortably.

Whatever you are already used to will influence your status quo feel on a new grip, but since you have the luxury of comparing the two bows, take a bit more time and see if one or the other grip strikes your fancy the second time out in the shop.

Good luck ... both look like quite nice bows.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Hello!

I am a UK resident who has shot with club equipment for the past 6 months and I want to drop some cash on a bow.

I took a trip to "The Longbow Shop", where I was well received by some fantastic staff and given a proper tour of the falco range.

But!!

I still have to make the choice between the falco trophy and force and the grip is the make or break for me between the two.

The high wrist grip on the force vintage wasn't as comfortable feeling, but felt more secure and suited to my rather large hands than that on the trophy. I was using a bow that was too short for me however, so it wasn't not as properly attuned to my form as I would hope the 70" will be.
Any advice?
I'm no guru but i do have a bit of experience with shaping grips and recently aqquired a falco trophy carbon and here's my opines fwiw..

and i'm gonna go "pictorial" here so that maybe you'll better understand what it is i'm attempting to convey so bare with me here...

My ancient Bob Lee TD had a grip only a mother could love..and from one plane?..it felt like i was holding the wrong end of a baseball bat...and here it is beside a stock black plastic hoyt excel grip i felt was very user friendly and attempted to emulate...somewhat..

it also had this "two stage" angle to it's high wrist grip?..(if ya wanna call it that)..which at full draw pressure?..would cause my hand to slip upwards into the throat yeilding a "crushing feeling" to my bowhand...

so i removed the two stage hand crushing hump...

narrowed the club'ish feeling throat...

and wound up with this...

now...why did i show you all that?...simple...that's what it took to straighten out a commercially produced 1/2 butted pistol grip and get it to comfortably fit my hand and shoot where i look..without my hand sliding up the grip and getting crushed into the throat at full draw pressure..which i hated.

That said?..i played heck with this Falco Trophy Carbons old school, low wrist, longbow grip..cause there's about a thousand ways to get it wrong with about 999 of those wrong ways sending the string into my armguard at the shot?..and exactly one way to get it right...but when i found that (1) right way?..the grips sweet spot?..hate turned into love...as there's but one dead center fine line pressure point and as long as i get that running right with the lifeline of my bowhand with a deep grip?..she shoots to center butter smooth everytime.

Now...why did i tell you that?..simple...that "locked in" pistol grip configuration on the vintage force?..won't permit such leeway...as under full draw pressure?...it will tend to find the same home in your hand everytime wether you like it, love it or hate it...as there won't be as much versitility available and it will become a matter of reshaping the grip to fit your hand rather than just finding that sweet spot like the Trophy offers..but?..if that locator/pistol grip does in fact fit your hand perfectly?..without it getting crushed up into the throat at full draw pressure?...and shoots to center/where you look?..it would be hard to beat..especially with all that deflex that's been designed into the force riser...i myself will be aqquiring a force hopefully before years end..but i want to order one with that locator pistol grip as low wristed as possible...and rework it from there "if necessary".

all i got..hope it helps...and L8R, Bill. :cool2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the rather wonderfully informative set of posts guys!

Thin Man: I will, I am afraid, not have another chance to get my hands on the bows as I live 300 miles away from the store. I was handling the bows as you describe and attempting to make judgments in the fashion you described.

Jinkster: despite the reworking process job looking fantastic I really don't want to touch my new bow with a dremel! In fact the thought alone makes me slightly scared...

So, combining the advice I have been given with my thoughts and I arrive at this soloution.

Im gonna go for a force and see if I can get a handle that's just a little above the standard size; possibly about three or four mm larger on the 'y' plane and proportionally larger on the x. Then I recon it will just about suit my little larger than average hand nicely.

Now I think I will be choosing woods!!!!

So many thanks for the posts! Ill be sure to come with pics of the setup and cant guarantee not to lurk in the meantime! :dance:

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Bully for you! You are gonna end up with a fine bow and be the happiest man on earth (well, at least until you forget to wear your arm guard on a sunny day and slap the stars out of your arm with the string on the first shot ... did I mention that it really, really stings?)

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Bottom line?...i don't think you could make a mistake with either one as you already have an awareness of what i (and many others) know to be the most important part of any bow...the grip...address that matter accordingly with a custom order from falco?...and from all what i hear, see and know?..the force will turn out to be an awesome bow for you..good choice...good luck and yes..

i'm jealouse. ;) L8R, Bill. :cool2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts