Archery Talk Forum banner

what rest is best for hunting

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I liked my biscuit for a few years, I went to a limb driver last year so I could shoot fobs and I wouldn't go back to the biscuit for anything. Yea they're nice because they have total containment but there are many drop always that have total containment. I also found dropaways easier to tune and for most people will be more accurate because they are less sensitive to the shooters follow through.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I shoot both right now, and as far as accuracy at hunting distances there's not enough difference worth mentioning. With that said, I couldn't be more pleased with my Ripcord and actually bought a second one already for the next bow I buy.

Oh, and I can't shoot my fobs through a biscuit, that's another reason I won't stay with that style rest.

·
Registered
838 Posts
My primary is a fall-away with a HHA sight and my back-up is a whisker biscuit and 5-pin.

·
Bears Den Precision
3,634 Posts
I too shoot both (Limb Driver on the Reezen and a WB deluxe on the Z7). There are advantages to both, but when it comes right down to it, the WB is by far the best "hunting" rest in your poll. Here is why, no moving parts, nothing to go wrong! Now, we all know Murphy's Law, and sure as you know what, the time I have the buck of a lifetime in front of me would be the time the draw chord would break, slip, or moisture would ice up in the moving parts. I will more than likely be getting another WB deluxe for the Reezen as both will serve different purposes for hunting.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I prefer a drop a away. I've used a bunch that are out, right now my favorite is the LD ProV. I do keep a biscuit in my little tackle box for those just in case moments.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
If you are just going to hunt and not shoot any competitive archery then I would go with the biscuit. It is more fail-proof but if you shoot very much they beat up your fletchings.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
fall away

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
i shoot fobs, so a drop away is a must...i have the original LD, and when that goes south im getting a tt smackdown pro(like the lower limb attachment better), but if i wasnt shooting fobs, id have a WB on my bow..it is a realy good rest, i just cant use it with the set up i want

·
Anti Fanboy
44,090 Posts
I went through the WB craze a few years back. Yes I liked it but only in terms of the containment.

Every deer I drew back on heard it unless the wind was blowing fairly hard. It was too late for them though and they were all calm.

But when it was real quiet out esp on a cold morning, the WB was way too noisey for this ole boy. I can easily see where a deer under pressure would be out of there and in a hurry too.

I went to dropaways and havent looked back. Never had a dropaway give me any problems during a hunt.

Personally, I shoot better with a dropaway esp from up in a treestand on difficult shot angles like these.

Skeet.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I prefer a drop away. but a WB will work fine if you will be using your bow for hunting and backyard archery.

·
Archery Addict
3,693 Posts
This poll will be biased.....Archery Talk people tend to be a bit more experienced then most average archers. Simplicity of use and Idiot proofness (my invented word) of the Whisker Biscuit is why it shines. Right or wrong we have ourselves convinced here at AT that a WB is a kids/rookie rest. I bet there isn't a rest company in existence that wouldn't want to hold the WB patent. For what it is, it is probably one of the best rest in existence for hunting. No, I do not use one...

·
Anti Fanboy
44,090 Posts
This poll will be biased.....Archery Talk people tend to be a bit more experienced then most average archers. Simplicity of use and Idiot proofness (my invented word) of the Whisker Biscuit is why it shines. Right or wrong we have ourselves convinced here at AT that a WB is a kids/rookie rest. I bet there isn't a rest company in existence that wouldn't want to hold the WB patent. For what it is, it is probably one of the best rest in existence for hunting. No, I do not use one...
I can agree with some of that but not all. And if I still hunted spot and stalk in the thick stuff like up in Alaska, I would no doubt be using a WB.

But for my happy hunting grounds and my style of hunting, I find a dropaway superior.

Interesting enough, one of the not so local shops here says WB still out sells any other rest on the marked in their shop.

But I think its more new comers to bowhunting than the actual guys thats been at it for a few years.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Trophy Ridge Revolution

·
Archery Addict
3,693 Posts
But I think its more new comers to bowhunting than the actual guys thats been at it for a few years.
Newcomers tend to just want it simple because the whole Idea of a bow initially is overwhelmingly complicated. A WB outsells drop-away 2 to 1 in my shop.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have never used a WB but used one of those Octane Hostages. I had to replace the bristles often because the arrows would burn them down. Does the WB have that same problem? I really like the QAD drop aways and now I just ordered the limbdriver pro v for my MR5.

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,356 Posts
i am strictly a hunter and have shot both. i am currently shooting wb for the simplicity of set up, and the price, for 2 bows i can set them up cheaper and for me i'm not shooting any differently. to each their own. i may switch back for something different at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Been shooting a Hostage rest for about 6 months now with no visible wear on the bristles. We shoot 2-3 times a week in the backyard (Maybe 20=50 arrows) and a 30 shot 3D shoot weekly.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts