Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it was 100 degrees today (thank God for the 40 mph winds), and I found myself standing in front of the bears with my son at the Omaha zoo. As i'm standing there looking at this critter it donned on me, "I get a shot at one of these this fall...and maybe a timberwolf with it as well, how the heck am I going to get all this back!?" So as soon as i got home I started scouring the web looking for info on recommended cooler size to transport a bear. Pretty much every thread I have read this even has folks going way off tangent and leaving the OP without a concrete recommendation. I have an RTIC 45 right now and already planned on taking it along for "human" food, but would that be big enough to bring a bear back? I plan on keeping the hide, skull, and meat.

I'll be driving to my destination so size isn't really an issue, to an extent. This is my first time crossing the boarder and first ever bear hunt. Spent the last 2 years getting gear lined out and this seems to be the last detail i need to pin down.

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
298 Posts
if it's boned out that 45 will be plenty big enough... you don't need to put the hide in the cooler, just salt it real good and put it in a plastic bag so it doesn't dry out too bad... then when ya get home, straight to the taxidermist or the freezer.. however, myself... I'd take 2 coolers... one for the beer... one for the bear...

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I just shot this brute in nb . It weighed 420. In the fall its very possible to get a bear of that size..i use two 150 qt igloo coolers. My outfitter has a frezzer, so i put it in quatered. Just remember the way it freezes rock solid is how it has to fit in.

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've never hunted bear before, but Id find it very very hard to believe that a deboned bear will fit in an RTIC 45. I just used mine yesterday and had a tough time fitting in a few waters, maybe 10 bottled beers and a decent size piece of Tupperware. I really like the cooler but I had to use another for my bbq items. Anyway, just saying...a 125 lb (field dressed) deer might fit in it deboned, but I have my doubts a bear would.

I'd at least suggest one of these.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Xtreme-120-Quart-Cooler/44018551?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228031836131&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=74803600368&wl4=aud-310687322322:pla-104599764528&wl5=9007497&wl6=&wl7=9007513&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=44018551&wl13=&veh=sem

·
Registered
16,149 Posts
I used one 150qt on a 305-350lb bear but we deboned the meat, the head and cape fit in there also. Also used same. Cooler size for two bears that were processed and both kids and head fit in cooler both bear were in the 150-170lb range tho

·
Have Bow, Will Travel
446 Posts
I've been on several bear hunts and can second what bowmanmt and bowtech2006 have put forth.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Yep if you have the room, go with the 2/ 150 qt igloo. I dont like the colmans because theirs doesnt have a closing latch. You can pick up at Academy Sports the Igloo 152 qt for about 75 dollars

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/igloo-maxcold2-qt-cooler#repChildCatid=25760 A few other places also have them at the same price.. These are the best value out there. Yes sometimes the latchs break, but you can replace very inexpensively, and they also sell the SS latches now for replacement issues. I store Florida wild hog sausage fully frozen for my 2 day trip[ north.. still rock hard when I get home

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Don't use a cooler. Buy a smaller sized chest freezer. Carry it like a cooler. Get the meat deboned, even cut up if you have the time. Get it at least crystal ice or even frozen. It will make the whole ride home. I do it like that every year and have perfect meat every time ,

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I used one 150qt on a 305-350lb bear but we deboned the meat, the head and cape fit in there also. Also used same. Cooler size for two bears that were processed and both kids and head fit in cooler both bear were in the 150-170lb range tho
You put two kids in a cooler???!!! :nervous s

·
Registered
16,149 Posts
You put two kids in a cooler???!!! :nervous s
Lol yeah it was to late to edit. Kids, hides/cape , but im sure alot of parents have wanted to put them in there to keep quiet lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bigger is better. I would take two coolers 85+ size. A big bear hide with skull and a wolf hide with ice will take up one cooler alone. I wouldn't salt the hide unless you plan on fleshing it first. Just put it in a cooler on ice and keep it cold, water wont hurt the hide as the ice melts. I would separate meat from hide if you plan on eating just for cleanliness sake

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies guys really appreciate it. Wife caught me looking at coolers and said she had a RTIC 65 on the way for fathers day.

Meat in the 45 and bear in the 65...wolf is another story i guess.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
736 Posts
You might be able to fit a cub in a 45... We shot a 320 lb bear this spring and he fit deboned in a Yeti 110. Was a tight squeeze, so the bigger the better. Couldn't fit the head and hide in it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts