Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have been wanting to put a fall food plot in on my families land for a couple of years now and finally I think this year is the year. I have went ahead and killed all the weeds and am going to disk it. Couple questions for you guys, what mixes are you all using? I was planning on using turnips and possibly clover, the area I’m going to be planting is right under an acre. Also what fertilizer do you all reccomend since the land hasn’t been farmed in a long time. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Get a soil test ASAP. I would check out the fall foundation mix on food plot forum. I’m planting peas, oats, rye and clover.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
1) Soil test

2) Lime based on soil test ASAP. Lime takes time to correct soil pH and its already August

3) Assess size of the plot, anticipated deer usage, goals for the plot, amount of sunlight, etc. Do you want this to be a year round plot or more of a fall kill plot? An acre is decent enough size that you can generate some serious tonnage of forage.

Clover is always a staple for deer but if you want to be hunting it mid to late season you may want to include something else. Think peas, bassicas, oats, rye, turnips, wheat, or anything else that tolerates cold.

Add fertilizer based on soil test when you plant. Depending on your soil composition a lot of seeds will boost growth from a shot of nitrogen a couple weeks after germination also. Best of luck!

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
there are 100s of these threads, why not do a search first on FOOD PLOTS, I'd post but i'd be repeating what i've said 50 times already. I'd bet there are 50 pages worth of information already on AT.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
there are 100s of these threads, why not do a search first on FOOD PLOTS, I'd post but i'd be repeating what i've said 50 times already. I'd bet there are 50 pages worth of information already on AT.
or you couldve saved your breath and said nothing at all, beings has somebody else has already answered his question with good advice.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
or you couldve saved your breath and said nothing at all, beings has somebody else has already answered his question with good advice.
Sure, sound advice but I don't ask take the opinion of 1 person and jump. Like I said, search FOOD PLOTS for 1000 replies.

BTW, I'd use pellet lime and put it down now. I'd use 19-19-19 as well. Alex, where was your advice? On the 1000 other posts right?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Sure, sound advice but I don't ask take the opinion of 1 person and jump. Like I said, search FOOD PLOTS for 1000 replies.

BTW, I'd use pellet lime and put it down now. I'd use 19-19-19 as well. Alex, where was your advice? On the 1000 other posts right?
didnt give any, as someone else already did. opened it up, saw basically what i wouldve said, so i didnt reply, instead of being a dick to someone asking for advice. saw your reply though and decided you were worth being a dick to.

·
Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,624 Posts

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
didnt give any, as someone else already did. opened it up, saw basically what i wouldve said, so i didnt reply, instead of being a dick to someone asking for advice. saw your reply though and decided you were worth being a dick to.
I wasn't being a dick, I was just being honest and helping the dude out. Like i said before, I sure as hell wouldn't take one person's advice. No one mentioned Pelletized lime, so I guess you what you saw and agreed with wasn't everything. No mention of type of fertilizer or pellet lime. When someone asks about something, most threads beat the horse to death. I just eliminated that...no one else had the balls to. this world is so PC it's sickening.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I wasn't being a dick, I was just being honest and helping the dude out. Like i said before, I sure as hell wouldn't take one person's advice. No one mentioned Pelletized lime, so I guess you what you saw and agreed with wasn't everything. No mention of type of fertilizer or pellet lime. When someone asks about something, most threads beat the horse to death. I just eliminated that...no one else had the balls to. this world is so PC it's sickening.
okay but my whole point was you were already typing - rather than say what you did why not type the same amount and just give him the advice? its whatever - not worth arguing over. sorry i brought it up.

·
faller downer
2,654 Posts
Here is a link to all the information that you'll ever need for the fall combination that works best for me. You won't be disappointed if you go this route.

[B]http://forum.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=505[/B]

you'll learn alot by reading these guys^^^^^ and pay attention to the type of Fert to use. triple 19 does you no good for Brassicas such as Turnips, Clover, radishes, Chicory etc etc but would certainly use it for winter wheat.

I also support the idea of a soil sample but you will not fix any of the problems quickly P & K take time to incorporate as does lime. Pel lime will help but not much..its not the easy button some think it is.

I'm not sure what you have seed selling wise like a Co -op or whathave you but I'd maybe suggest a Bag of Biologic Maximum to get through tthis winter then frost seed clover, chicory next late winter/ early Spring..just my 2 cents

Good luck and study the link

·
faller downer
2,654 Posts
Don’t disk if your going clover and turnip. Seed it ASAP. If rain is in the forecast add a couple bags of 13 13 13. I would add rye sept 1. Good luck! I top sowed my fall mixes Sunday and they germinated in 24 hours. I have never disked or tilled a foodplot just broadcast before a rain.

why pay for nitrogen that the Brassicas ( clover,Turnips)wont use?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Don’t disk if your going clover and turnip. Seed it ASAP. If rain is in the forecast add a couple bags of 13 13 13. I would add rye sept 1. Good luck! I top sowed my fall mixes Sunday and they germinated in 24 hours. I have never disked or tilled a foodplot just broadcast before a rain.

Just plain bad advice for MD, western or eastern... way early for both clover or turnips.... clover will burn up right after germiniation and really needs a nurse crop. Turnips will be too mature before hard winter.

·
faller downer
2,654 Posts
Just plain bad advice for MD, western or eastern... way early for both clover or turnips.... clover will burn up right after germiniation and really needs a nurse crop. Turnips will be too mature before hard winter.
MD being Maryland ? really?Herer in Mo its prime time to get them(both) in I'd of thought with winter hitting earlier up there you'd want them in ASAP..Also we are putting Clover in soon for the winter.. as long as you dont get 90's and a drought that clover will pop up... sure coulda fooled me

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
MD being Maryland ? really?Herer in Mo its prime time to get them(both) in I'd of thought with winter hitting earlier up there you'd want them in ASAP..Also we are putting Clover in soon for the winter.. as long as you dont get 90's and a drought that clover will pop up... sure coulda fooled me
Up there?

August is by far our hottest and driest momth. September can be extremely brutal as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts