Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ALWAYS used a climber in the past......

I picked a tree this year to hang a hang-on stand....

Im not crazy about the climb up to the stand.....

anyone like/hate the Fall Guy retractor?

I think it would make life alot easier, but im a little hesitant to trust my body weight and a 20'+ fall on a mechanism I have never seen before....

Opinions?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I love mine. In fact, I bought two for myself, and one each for my brother and dad. They're a bit expensive, but you can't put a price on safety. I did have one break, but it was my own fault because I dropped it from the tree. Otherwise, they're easy to use, and you can have two hands on the ladder, steps, etc. at all times. I think they're a good investment.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Bought one last year and two more this year. Fortunately, I haven't needed it yet. They are a little touchy in how little inertia it takes to lock it up. But I think that's a good thing. TIP: The caribiner is heavy and doesn't retract up well at the end of the day. I keep the heavy supplied caribiner attached to my harness strap. I then attach the string to a cheap aluminum clip on caribiner to feed the strap back up. (NEVER use the aluminum one for safety)
Also, in an archery magizine I received yesterday, there was an ad for a safety rope that you can lowere yourself down with. I may get one of these to try out. Might be less expensive.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks gonna get one I think.... any problems keeping it in the tree for the season?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I've been using one for 2 seasons without any problems. The safest way to get in and out of a treestand. 90% of falls occur while climbing not sitting.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
I've got a couple and use them in some trees with precarious climbs.
I've never had a full "test" on one of them, but during one pitch-black descent, I stepped on a dead branch and it broke. The strap went tight and I bear-hugged the tree. I was glad I wasn't climbing without it. Sooooo worth the money.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Fall Guy

i ALWAYS used a climber in the past......

I picked a tree this year to hang a hang-on stand....

Im not crazy about the climb up to the stand.....

anyone like/hate the Fall Guy retractor?

I think it would make life alot easier, but im a little hesitant to trust my body weight and a 20'+ fall on a mechanism I have never seen before....

Opinions?
Outstanding product, by far the best and safest out there. Love mine, and love the security.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Rope is good too.

I've seen them, the look good, but I use climbing rope and a prussik knot and its pretty much the same effect, and I think you can make three ropes for the price.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mines been in a tree for 3 years straight. Exposed to extreme heat and cold, rain and snow, birds and squirrels. Works as good as new. Get one and you won't be disappointed.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
I am happy with mine for up and down. But I use a short lineman belt once in the stand, (clipped to the same place for the climb for a set up where I face away from the tree / and clipped to one side of my waist for a set up where I face the tree) that way there is slack in it.

marty

·
Registered
556 Posts
Rope is good too.

I've seen them, the look good, but I use climbing rope and a prussik knot and its pretty much the same effect, and I think you can make three ropes for the price.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If you use a rope and a prussic not don't you still have to take your hands off to slide the knot as you climb or descent? I use a Seat O the Pants with the rope and prussic and my prussic is tight to slide. I would imagine trying to adjust it while climbing would be difficult. I was thinking of trying the Fall Guy system instead. Problem is I have 14 tree stands, going to be a little expensive to equip on all of them. I guess I can buy a couple for my favorite set ups and build from there. These will be on my Christmas list this year

1 - 12 of 12 Posts