Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure I'm going to purchase a fall restraint vest along the lines of the HSS vest. I currently use just a belt-type thing which may eventually leave me hanging dead from a tree with a 12" waist. That would be really unpleasant for me and my loved ones.:(

Since my 2009 season just ended I have lots of time to do some research on what's out there. Does anyone use the HSS "Pro" series vest? Is it better than the standard version and why? I went to the HSS site and watched the video. It really looks simple to use. I've resisted buying a vest because I thought they were cumbersome and restrictive.
Also- what products besides HSS should I consider? Is there something as good but less money?

Lastly- Please don't blast me for starting a new thread since this has probably been discussed in here a thousand times. It doesn't bother me when other people do that!:)

Thanks.

·
IBA Hunter
556 Posts
The Pro series has more pockets and "stuff" than the Tree Stalker, but it is on the heavy side. Both are really easy to use though

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used the HSS pro series last year. Hated the velcro pockets but I think they changed them this year. I switched to the Muddy Outdoors harness this year, I like it much better. It's considerably lighter and it has a binocular harness built in.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Pro series has more pockets and "stuff" than the Tree Stalker, but it is on the heavy side. Both are really easy to use though
Heavy is the last feature I want. I sweat walking out to my stands as it is! Thanks.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the HSS pro series last year. Hated the velcro pockets but I think they changed them this year. I switched to the Muddy Outdoors harness this year, I like it much better. It's considerably lighter and it has a binocular harness built in.
Velcro pockets? I couldn't handle that at all! I'll look into the "muddy" system. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
i use the xtreme gadget vest by trophyline it has a suspension trauma seat built into it it comfortable and you dont realize your wearing it

·
Registered
101 Posts
The HSS pro series is heavy to pick up, but you don't notice it at all while its on. The pro is made of a mesh material, and while I'm sure it's cooler than solid fabric, it seems to get hung up on every rough spot on the tree and stand. Mine has hard plastic leg buckles that can be noisy but it's a few years old and I think they fixed that. Overall I think it's good but not great. I would check out a Muddy or something similar before buying another one.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Personally I prefer the Muddy or HSS, I use the Muddy on the outside for cold weather and the HSS for warmer weather. I don't like my HSS under my heavy coat because the tether keeps me from putting my hood on in the wind.

Regardless, I also recommend a climbing line or fall guy system of some sort to always keep you tethered to the tree. The tree will never let you fall to the ground as long as you trust it.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I thought the vest is to be worn over your other clothes, not under(?)
You can wear them either way, some guys prefer their camo jacket covers it up or they buy them to just fit with early season gear on and then they dont fit over their winter stuff. Either way they still work the same. I personally used a HSS and a Muddy and i now just use the Muddy like many others as it's much more comfy to wear since it doesn't cover you up so much.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would SERIOUSLY consider one of these!!! It is a DE-CELERATOR lanyard. If you fall...it is designed to slow descent...and TRUST ME...it works. I found one in black for hunting. We also use them where I work...which is how I found out they WORK!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts