Archery Talk Forum banner

Falsely accused poacher

4618 Views 90 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  jrozzi
Interesting video of a situation any hunter could find themselves in when jealousy from other hunters accuse you of poaching and officers overstep.

Video is 18:39 long.

Reactions: MIKEY CUSTOM-G
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

· Team #9
9,762 Posts
yeah watch it earlier ...I know they try to write everyone a ticket ..but when they come across state lines
for ya ..they have a reason ..a whole lot more to the story ...one thing is the Game wardens are NOT
corrupt about the only law agency thats not.....not saying they cant be D's but dirty they are not ...
100% confidence they won't throw or plant a turkey in my jeep ..integrity they have and my trust
but I usually like none of their personalities ...only met a few that were cool to talk with ...
thankful for the job they do ...

· Registered
222 Posts
i hope he wins his lawsuit! teach the liars a lesson in doing job with integrity. or better yet lose their jobs and banned from law enforcement employment. i really cant imagine what the other side of the story could be.

these examples are why people dont trust police in this country. too many power hungry idiots getting these jobs. they should be screened better imo.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
I have 11 years on the job all thru the 1990’s.
The best thing the citizens of WV can do is petition their State Legislators to introduce a bill to ban all non resident hunting. I remember Kansas done that around 1989-90.

I have seen this before first hand. But, on the hunter’s side too, thats what you get for seeking the limelight, look at me, pictures all over. You should hunt for yourself. Put the thing down in the truck bed, go home, process it, end of story. Close the barn doors, go chop firewood.
Trouble on both sides of this story.

· Registered
9,494 Posts
I doubt a well known attorney would stick his neck out if the LEOs had not acted as such, he risks being disbarred. With the tip lines most states now have, pretty clear to understand that all someone (a jealous hunter) has to do is call in and state "yeah, there is this guy from NC and he killed a big buck in such n such place and may have been poached", with the pressure to catch poachers, especially when trophy animals are involved, they are probably going to seize just because they are conducting an investigation. Earlier this month I made EVERY effort to dot all the "I" s and cross all the "t"s when it came to Two Time. First thing I did was call the DNR, didn't move Two Time or even flip him over to see what was on the other side of him. I also got the sheriff involved, which one of the ICOs then contacted and I was told a sheriff was coming out. I had given my gate code to the DNR in the beginning and 2 hrs later 3 Indiana Conservation Officers showed up, 2 had recently graduated from the academy and were training. Over the course of the calls I reiterated that I wanted to make sure all my bases were covered, and I believe I did, I was issued a permit by the ICO and the taxidermist came out to my house to cape him out. In the back of my mind I am still aware of the fact that once he gets home I could fall under scrutiny, so it wouldn't surprise me. Luckily, over the 3 seasons I have had been hunting Two Time no neighbors had ever asked if I was getting pics of a huge deer and I had shared info/pictures with only one buddy who has his own properties in other areas. One never knows what may happen when bucks are involved.

· Registered
3,831 Posts
I doubt a well known attorney would stick his neck out if the LEOs had not acted as such, he risks being disbarred. With the tip lines most states now have, pretty clear to understand that all someone (a jealous hunter) has to do is call in and state "yeah, there is this guy from NC and he killed a big buck in such n such place and may have been poached", with the pressure to catch poachers, especially when trophy animals are involved, they are probably going to seize just because they are conducting an investigation. Earlier this month I made EVERY effort to dot all the "I" s and cross all the "t"s when it came to Two Time. First thing I did was call the DNR, didn't move Two Time or even flip him over to see what was on the other side of him. I also got the sheriff involved, which one of the ICOs then contacted and I was told a sheriff was coming out. I had given my gate code to the DNR in the beginning and 2 hrs later 3 Indiana Conservation Officers showed up, 2 had recently graduated from the academy and were training. Over the course of the calls I reiterated that I wanted to make sure all my bases were covered, and I believe I did, I was issued a permit by the ICO and the taxidermist came out to my house to cape him out. In the back of my mind I am still aware of the fact that once he gets home I could fall under scrutiny, so it wouldn't surprise me. Luckily, over the 3 seasons I have had been hunting Two Time no neighbors had ever asked if I was getting pics of a huge deer and I had shared info/pictures with only one buddy who has his own properties in other areas. One never knows what may happen when bucks are involved.
Why did you do all of that, for that deer? I dont get it…

· Registered
20,548 Posts
yeah watch it earlier ...I know they try to write everyone a ticket ..but when they come across state lines
for ya ..they have a reason ..a whole lot more to the story ...one thing is the Game wardens are NOT
corrupt about the only law agency thats not.....not saying they cant be D's but dirty they are not ...
100% confidence they won't throw or plant a turkey in my jeep ..integrity they have and my trust
but I usually like none of their personalities ...only met a few that were cool to talk with ...
thankful for the job they do ...
Bang one of their wife's and see what one will do.

· Registered
Osage self-bow, river cane arrows and stone points
206 Posts
I have a neighbor who is an anti-hunter. They have repeatedly made false claims to try and get me into trouble. Now, I only shoot where I know I have trail camera's running so I can prove day and times 🤷

· Registered
4,597 Posts
when they were called game wardens and drove green/brown jeep cherokees without sirens, dressed in simple outdoorsy looking green/brown uniform, and just had a sidearm and no body armor/etc, then it was a bit different

now, they are pretty tactical and identify more as LEO

also, you don't know the particular conservation officers involved, so making a blanket statement about ethics that applies to an individual is probably not sound

· Registered
732 Posts
Game and Fish don’t make it any easier on them either. Now there is digital tags. Just validate on your phone and you’re done. But the problem is when transporting. Everyone is use to seeing the tag attached to the carcass. Now it just looks like your poaching when you see no tag. 🤦‍♂️

· Registered
9,494 Posts
Here is the thread.

· Registered
Mathews Triax
366 Posts
I have 11 years on the job all thru the 1990’s.
The best thing the citizens of WV can do is petition their State Legislators to introduce a bill to ban all non resident hunting. I remember Kansas done that around 1989-90.

I have seen this before first hand. But, on the hunter’s side too, thats what you get for seeking the limelight, look at me, pictures all over. You should hunt for yourself. Put the thing down in the truck bed, go home, process it, end of story. Close the barn doors, go chop firewood.
Trouble on both sides of this story.
Banning all non resident hunting is about the most douche bag thing any state could do.

· Vendor
28,416 Posts
EJP, When someone kills a big buck today, the jealously and accusations come from all over. Case in point. I killed my 18 point on a very small less than 20 acre farm. I was hunting about 100 yards from the farmers back porch. As I was climbing down, I heard a branch crack and there he was. I shot this buck about 8 yards from the tree. The arrow went through the deer and stuck in a tree right next to him. The deer spun around and looked at the tree, took a couple of steps backward and died right there.
The next morning the game warden showed up, with plenty of questions. I had already taken the deer to the taxidermist so I agreed to go with him to check the deer. On the way to the taxidermist the GR mentioned that he was told I killed the deer on the neighbors property illegally. At that point I told the game warden that we were less than a mile from where I killed the deer and I could show him exactly where the deer was standing when I shot him and where he died along with where my treestand was as it was still on the base of the tree. We went to the farm and he saw everything just as I told him. As he was getting ready to pull out of the farm the owner came home. The owner told the gw that he saw the kill from the back porch and got his tractor to get the buck out.
later we found out that the old guy that owned the neighboring property is the one that called the gw saying I killed his deer.
With all the jealousy and accusations flying around today, I suggest anybody that gets a huge deer to document anything you can because the crap is going to fly.
Its sad to think one can get so lucky, then have to face false accusations and possible legal fees, just for finally getting a good buck.😥

· Registered
Headshots only
1,861 Posts
EJP, When someone kills a big buck today, the jealously and accusations come from all over. Case in point. I killed my 18 point on a very small less than 20 acre farm. I was hunting about 100 yards from the farmers back porch. As I was climbing down, I heard a branch crack and there he was. I shot this buck about 8 yards from the tree. The arrow went through the deer and stuck in a tree right next to him. The deer spun around and looked at the tree, took a couple of steps backward and died right there.
The next morning the game warden showed up, with plenty of questions. I had already taken the deer to the taxidermist so I agreed to go with him to check the deer. On the way to the taxidermist the GR mentioned that he was told I killed the deer on the neighbors property illegally. At that point I told the game warden that we were less than a mile from where I killed the deer and I could show him exactly where the deer was standing when I shot him and where he died along with where my treestand was as it was still on the base of the tree. We went to the farm and he saw everything just as I told him. As he was getting ready to pull out of the farm the owner came home. The owner told the gw that he saw the kill from the back porch and got his tractor to get the buck out.
later we found out that the old guy that owned the neighboring property is the one that called the gw saying I killed his deer.
With all the jealousy and accusations flying around today, I suggest anybody that gets a huge deer to document anything you can because the crap is going to fly.
Its sad to think one can get so lucky, then have to face false accusations and possible legal fees, just for finally getting a good buck.😥
Found me a new exuse for shooting dinks!

Yea, I passed a 160 class last week for fear of the legal fees. Shot this 105 pound 4 pointer to stay under the radar.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts