Archery Talk Forum banner

Falsely accused poacher

4617 Views 90 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  jrozzi
Interesting video of a situation any hunter could find themselves in when jealousy from other hunters accuse you of poaching and officers overstep.

Video is 18:39 long.

Reactions: MIKEY CUSTOM-G
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

· Registered
3,831 Posts
EJP, When someone kills a big buck today, the jealously and accusations come from all over. Case in point. I killed my 18 point on a very small less than 20 acre farm. I was hunting about 100 yards from the farmers back porch. As I was climbing down, I heard a branch crack and there he was. I shot this buck about 8 yards from the tree. The arrow went through the deer and stuck in a tree right next to him. The deer spun around and looked at the tree, took a couple of steps backward and died right there.
The next morning the game warden showed up, with plenty of questions. I had already taken the deer to the taxidermist so I agreed to go with him to check the deer. On the way to the taxidermist the GR mentioned that he was told I killed the deer on the neighbors property illegally. At that point I told the game warden that we were less than a mile from where I killed the deer and I could show him exactly where the deer was standing when I shot him and where he died along with where my treestand was as it was still on the base of the tree. We went to the farm and he saw everything just as I told him. As he was getting ready to pull out of the farm the owner came home. The owner told the gw that he saw the kill from the back porch and got his tractor to get the buck out.
later we found out that the old guy that owned the neighboring property is the one that called the gw saying I killed his deer.
With all the jealousy and accusations flying around today, I suggest anybody that gets a huge deer to document anything you can because the crap is going to fly.
Its sad to think one can get so lucky, then have to face false accusations and possible legal fees, just for finally getting a good buck.😥
I guess your different, a GW shows up at my house asking questions… I’ll be polite and answer basic questions- but tell him/her to pee off for anything much more. This is America, your an American…. There’s boundaries set in this country for a reason, because we are the land of the FREE.

· Registered
10,048 Posts
I guess your different, a GW shows up at my house asking questions… I’ll be polite and answer basic questions- but tell him/her to pee off for anything much more. This is America, your an American…. There’s boundaries set in this country for a reason, because we are the land of the FREE.
Agreed.

"Yes officer, I'll be right out" Shut the door and go back to my recliner eating meatloaf and watching the game.

I've seen wardens act like this. Call first, don't go to someone's house interrupting their day. All on hearsay

· Registered
685 Posts
All over an animal!.....come on! If this is your life then you have a long journey ahead of you. And, yes you do have to talk to the law....and hopefully work with the law.
NO YOU DO NOT have to speak to any law enforcement or state attorney without an attorney present in your behalf. It's usually in your best interest to work with law enforcement but sometimes it'd best to shut your mouth and let someone else speak on your behalf

· Registered
20,548 Posts
I have a neighbor who is an anti-hunter. They have repeatedly made false claims to try and get me into trouble. Now, I only shoot where I know I have trail camera's running so I can prove day and times 🤷
I had a woman in down town Ann arbor Michigan jump in front of my truck then called the cops saying I was trying to run her over all cause I had a dead deer in back of my truck, luckily the campus security guard saw it and the lady got put in cop car instead of me. But that sure could of went south for me.

· Registered
416 Posts
yeah watch it earlier ...I know they try to write everyone a ticket ..but when they come across state lines
for ya ..they have a reason ..a whole lot more to the story ...one thing is the Game wardens are NOT
corrupt about the only law agency thats not.....not saying they cant be D's but dirty they are not ...
100% confidence they won't throw or plant a turkey in my jeep ..integrity they have and my trust
but I usually like none of their personalities ...only met a few that were cool to talk with ...
thankful for the job they do ...
I am glad you can trust the Wardens in your state, in the State of Maine sadly we no longer can. They will lie to to you and throw you under the bus here. They care more about giving the criminals the personal info of decent informants than getting their jobs done.

· Registered
3,955 Posts
when they were called game wardens and drove green/brown jeep cherokees without sirens, dressed in simple outdoorsy looking green/brown uniform, and just had a sidearm and no body armor/etc, then it was a bit different

now, they are pretty tactical and identify more as LEO

also, you don't know the particular conservation officers involved, so making a blanket statement about ethics that applies to an individual is probably not sound
Yeah, but if you remember about 10 years or so ago, in Illinois I think, that dude that was trespassing/ hunting with an ar rifle took out 11 hunters and others total from the tree stand as they approached him. Game Officers have to protect themselves these days, and it’s not just hunters they worry about. It’s also the drug labs and growers they run into unexpectedly. Have had experiences on both sides with game wardens. Regardless, they are needed just like normal LEO’s.

· Registered
4,597 Posts
Yeah, but if you remember about 10 years or so ago, in Illinois I think, that dude that was trespassing/ hunting with an ar rifle took out 11 hunters and others total from the tree stand as they approached him. Game Officers have to protect themselves these days, and it’s not just hunters they worry about. It’s also the drug labs and growers they run into unexpectedly. Have had experiences on both sides with game wardens. Regardless, they are needed just like normal LEO’s.
absolutely....just recalling a simpler time....i'd probably want all the gear now too

· Registered
698 Posts
I had a woman in down town Ann arbor Michigan jump in front of my truck then called the cops saying I was trying to run her over all cause I had a dead deer in back of my truck, luckily the campus security guard saw it and the lady got put in cop car instead of me. But that sure could of went south for me.
Good idea for a dash camera to show the police. Contact a lawyer for a false police report.

· Registered
2,345 Posts
I have a neighbor who is an anti-hunter. They have repeatedly made false claims to try and get me into trouble. Now, I only shoot where I know I have trail camera's running so I can prove day and times 🤷
Or you could stack up their false claims and sue them for harassment, abuse of state resources, etc…

· Registered
698 Posts
Repeated false claims could get them in trouble. Contact a lawyer for defamication of character, false police reports, etc.

· Registered
20,548 Posts
Good idea for a dash camera to show the police. Contact a lawyer for a false police report.
This was years ago. But yeah dash cams are not bad idea. We have them in work trucks for when ppl want to slam of brakes and us hit them and sue the company and for a few other reasons also but that was a big reason in Detroit.

· Registered
1,081 Posts
I have 11 years on the job all thru the 1990’s.
The best thing the citizens of WV can do is petition their State Legislators to introduce a bill to ban all non resident hunting. I remember Kansas done that around 1989-90.

I have seen this before first hand. But, on the hunter’s side too, thats what you get for seeking the limelight, look at me, pictures all over. You should hunt for yourself. Put the thing down in the truck bed, go home, process it, end of story. Close the barn doors, go chop firewood.
Trouble on both sides of this story.
Lol sooo because he took pictures he should have to hire lawyers take time off from work to prove his innocence. All law enforcement involved should be fired. How could you Ever trust their testimony in court. EVER. They tried to fabricate something against someone and lost. And by your statement I think someone should look into you and any testimony you may have given. Sounds like you might be the kind of law enforcement that makes stuff up if you are having a bad day. Hopefully no one ever does something like this to your family. But if they do tough shizz

10,326 Posts
NO YOU DO NOT have to speak to any law enforcement or state attorney without an attorney present in your behalf. It's usually in your best interest to work with law enforcement but sometimes it'd best to shut your mouth and let someone else speak on your behalf
You are correct....you do not have to speak to anyone but if you choose to keep silent and not work with law enforcement then it is not in your best interest as you stated. I live on the border where I have law enforcement all around me 24/7 due to the "immigration" issues that we do not have going on right now. I own a ranch that is used occasionally by drug smugglers when they are moving the "mules" through. I am very good friends with the Game Warden and all law enforcement officers and I back the blue 100%.....I have nothing to hide. That is where I come from.

· Registered
685 Posts
You are correct....you do not have to speak to anyone but if you choose to keep silent and not work with law enforcement then it is not in your best interest as you stated. I live on the border where I have law enforcement all around me 24/7 due to the "immigration" issues that we do not have going on right now. I own a ranch that is used occasionally by drug smugglers when they are moving the "mules" through. I am very good friends with the Game Warden and all law enforcement officers and I back the blue 100%.....I have nothing to hide. That is where I come from.
I never once said I did not back law enforcement or any thing of the sort. I agree that the vast majority of the time it's best to be upfront and honest with any law enforcement. Generally speaking the ones that hide, play games, and all out delay are guilty of what they are being accused of, but it's VERY important to know your rights and the law in case you find yourself in a predicament such as what this original post was about which was being falsely accused of poaching. the gentleman I quoted said you must/have to speak with law enforcement which is false you absolutely do not have to.
While not animal related many years ago I had dnr's as well as the state fire marahall crosshairs on my back, it's not a good place to be, especially when one of them has a personal agenda.

· Registered
Mathews Atlas, Easton carbon arrows, Iron Will broad heads
8,888 Posts
The best thing the citizens of WV can do is petition their State Legislators to introduce a bill to ban all non resident hunting. I remember Kansas done that around 1989-90.
[/QUOTE]

That’s a great idea, as long as other states prohibit WV hunters from hunting in their state.
I don’t recall what Ks did 30 plus years ago but NR can hunt there today, on a draw basis I believe.

· Vendor
28,416 Posts
EJP, you are correct. We are different. If you get a game violation, you pay the fine and move on. If I get a game violation, since I make a living in the hunting industry, the fines will be the maximum. They will say I should know better and they will make an example out of me. Then it would be all over the internet and my business would suffer.

I had absolutely nothing to hide. So why be a Richard cranium. He had a job to do that we pay him to do. Once I knew exactly what was being questioned and why, I knew I could prove beyond a shadow of doubt, I did it 100% legally.

It was handled professionally by the GW. He was polite, and said he had to follow up on an accusation. He did his job and apologized for any inconvenience.. The whole thing was over in less than an hour, didn’t cost me a dime, no charges were ever filed. Sometimes it helps to cooperate. 😉

· Registered
3,831 Posts
EJP, you are correct. We are different. If you get a game violation, you pay the fine and move on. If I get a game violation, since I make a living in the hunting industry, the fines will be the maximum. They will say I should know better and they will make an example out of me. Then it would be all over the internet and my business would suffer.

I had absolutely nothing to hide. So why be a Richard cranium. He had a job to do that we pay him to do. Once I knew exactly what was being questioned and why, I knew I could prove beyond a shadow of doubt, I did it 100% legally.

It was handled professionally by the GW. He was polite, and said he had to follow up on an accusation. He did his job and apologized for any inconvenience.. The whole thing was over in less than an hour, didn’t cost me a dime, no charges were ever filed. Sometimes it helps to cooperate. 😉
But you caved into pure defiance of what our legal systems one basic rule is - innocent until proven guilty. You sought to prove your innocence. Im an American.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts