Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
people in my family refuse to let my bestfriend hunt our property. he has been my freind for about 6 years . we exclusively bowhunt only. the family only shotgun hunts the two illinois gun seasons . he would only hunt with a bow . thier reason is he might shoot the big buck. i say," so what i only bowhunt and if the big guy gives me a shot i will make an attempt to take it. along with anyother deer that walks within bow range ". my friend lives in town and has no land nor the money to buy or rent his own place. there are thirteen gun hunters from the family and one bowhunter (myself) so i am alone on 120+ acers for the entire season oct.1 to jan. 14 except for 7 days -gun season . why???????????? let me know how you feel so I can have a point to argue for my friend or see my families point

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I take it the family hasn't shot a bow, and can't quite relate to the "Universal Family" of archers? If I can't get the family into archery, even though I've been persistant in the attempts to do so, I'd invite my buddy just to see what the family would be willing to say to his face, with me standing there....then, I'd go shoot some arrows with my friend! If he "hits the big one", I'd ask him to offer it to the family, but only if they will at least provide the charcoal for the grill! Figure out the compromise!

·
Registered
839 Posts
:confused:

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
2 blue ducks said:
people in my family refuse to let my bestfriend hunt our property. he has been my freind for about 6 years . we exclusively bowhunt only. the family only shotgun hunts the two illinois gun seasons . he would only hunt with a bow . thier reason is he might shoot the big buck. i say," so what i only bowhunt and if the big guy gives me a shot i will make an attempt to take it. along with anyother deer that walks within bow range ". my friend lives in town and has no land nor the money to buy or rent his own place. there are thirteen gun hunters from the family and one bowhunter (myself) so i am alone on 120+ acers for the entire season oct.1 to jan. 14 except for 7 days -gun season . why???????????? let me know how you feel so I can have a point to argue for my friend or see my families point
Sometimes, people say things that hide the true-er reason or meaning. I'm not pointing to your family members or anything, but humans have a funny way of working ... sometimes.

If your family is ONLY afraid of your friend taking the 'big buck', is there any way to identify that buck (pictures, descriptions etc) and get your friend to sign an agreement that he would not shoot this buck? This is assuming that 'THAT' is the real reason behind your family's refusal to let your friend hunt on your land.

If that's not the actual or only reason, then you'll have to find out what is and work out some sort of solution that meets in the middle. Since the land does belong to your family and they have final say, be prepared to find alternative solutions (legal and ethical of course) even if they refuse to agree no matter what.

All the best.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Christopher Lee said:
Sometimes, people say things that hide the true-er reason or meaning. I'm not pointing to your family members or anything, but humans have a funny way of working ... sometimes.

Thats kind of what I was thinking as I read the post. Usually when people have a hidden reason behind not wanting something to happen the best way to find out is to counter their current reason with every logical thing you can think of. After you do that, the real reason is going to start to become more apparent when the logical reason they were giving you starts turning into small excuses.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
You said it with your own opening statement.
Family VS friends?
Pretty stupid question really.
Glad your not related to me,none of my people need to ask a question like that:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Chris:

There are many reasons why this may be.. some good.. some bad...

One thing I can think of is that, maybe there is a pack among the older family members.. Look at it this way.. If they allow you to bring a friend... There are 20 more family members... then what happens if 20 more want to bring a friend? Then there are people who you do not know all over the property. Where is the line drawn? What other friends would be hurt that they are not allowed? Were there issues in the past? There may be friends who start bringing friends… etc.

Another is: 120 acres is a good size piece of land, but not that big if the land about is closed. A few hunters can push the deer right off and onto other property. I know, it happens on my place. (Mine is smaller)

There always are other things like liability...

Possibly you and your friend could agree to NOT shoot the big guy, but reality is that the best managed lands are those that leave little guys and take mature bucks.. BUT, if only one little guy is taken… likely no big deal.

Have him offer to help clear brush, plant trees, etc. in exchange for being able to hunt.

Not sure what to tell you.. Find state land that you and he can hunt.. I am not buying there is no other place within 20 to 30 miles he and you could hunt… There has to be state land or land where a farmer will let you hunt.

Finally, Blood is thicker so do not get mad, try to understand.. It is as it is…

And do not listen to those that attack you here.. maybe they have no friends… I do not know why some are so aggressive… I know I get asked a lot about my very small piece of land..… it is tough to say no… and to say yes…, but over the years I have finally decided that FRIENDSHIPS and GOODWILL are far better than a big rack.. I got tired of being an a..hole to all about a possible rack… Even better I hunt with these people now and are friends with them. I get more than I give… So letting selected, trusted, people hunt the property works for me.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
13 gun hunters in your family...on 120 acres?

Seems there's not a lot of room for your buddy IMO.

·
Registered
18,882 Posts
OK, so you bring a friend, and everyone else is allowed a friend, and now there are 26 people hunting. Some of them will bring their friends I'm sure, so now you're pushing 30 people.

The gun hunters only get a week, so it would be pretty disappointing to hear people have been tromping around the woods before they were even ble to walk out.

Because of the numbers involved, this property should definitely have a no-friends rule.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
i got news for them. if there's 13 people running around the woods with guns, more than likely nobody will see the "big buck"

that's not hunting.....it's shooting!!!

·
Registered
960 Posts
No offense personally, but you could tell your family not to be so greedy. So what if he kills THE big buck? Wouldn't they feel good helping out a friend and be happy for him? Hunting is about more than getting THE big buck.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I admire you for wanting to share with a less fortunate fellow hunter. However, you need to honor the family wishes. I would see if they would allow him to shoot a doe before gun season and maybe a buck after gun season. good luck.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We only have 80 acres so its family only. But I like Bellows Idea. Agree to take a doe the first year or two and see where it goes from there.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks everyone for your time . I have some new ideas and a differant perspective for the families land

·
Registered
131 Posts
My money is on the slippery slope theory, cuz gawd, what a mess if every person brought a friend hunting. Heck, they'd probably give you the boot if you weren't family. That is too many deer hunters, and if you doubled it... Insane.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
LEADWORKS said:
No offense personally, but you could tell your family not to be so greedy. So what if he kills THE big buck? Wouldn't they feel good helping out a friend and be happy for him? Hunting is about more than getting THE big buck.
Exactly. I cannot believe all the GREED in this thread or the WORLD for that matter.:frown:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If it is simply that he may get a good deer, I would tend to agree that they are being selfish. Even if he gets The Big One no one's hunting is ruined

As was stated above, if they only get 7 days I can see them not wanting the *family* hunting spoiled by people they do not know. Maybe they are worried about driving the deer away. If so, then just try and educate them - bow hunting has always been pretty low on the "pressure" when there are few people in the woods (unlike farearms, you are generally so quite that few deer ever even know you are killing them even if you are shooting regularly). And, of course, it should be family only during the family time.

Another possible solution is to divide the land up between you. I hunt with my father and two other people on about 70 acres. We (my father and I) have the small field and above the upper road. We share between the upper and lower roads, and they have the big field and below the lower road. They like to bring thier grandsons from time to time (when they were children they had no restrictions, now that they are adults they do not get any special treatment) and we sometimes bring a friend. They are really only allowed on our designated areas and no one seems to mind.

We do not have this as a formal agreement, it's just the way it has always been. You may need a formal agreement, and the friend may be able to purchase bow hunter rights on areas for the other siblings (think of it as a bowhunting only lease).

It may not work - they may just be so set against it there is no way. Instead of asking "can I" (since the answer was no), ask "Is there any conditions you would accept". Since it is family I wouldn't ruin it - though you may also point out the unsafety factor of hunting alone (I refuse to hunt alone - too many things can happen and as remote as you usually are you need someone around you).

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Count your blessings, Be thankful you have a place to hunt and be careful you don't shoot too many big bucks or you may have a problem yourself. I have seen a similar situation develop. The no friends rule is the only way to go. Wait till your family gets bigger and you will see other problems develop. Enjoy things as long as you can, don't brag and certainly don't tell if you hit a deer and can't find it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts