Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of great archers on this site, so I was curious as to what your farthest bow kill is. I don't care if it's from a tree stand, ground blind, stalking or off the back deck. Give some details such as exact distance, location of hit and distance traveled after the shot. I'll start with mine: I shot my first buck when I was 15 years old. I was walking into my stand in the snow when I caught movement past my stand. I watched a little 5 point walk directly past my stand and then continued walking once he had disappeared. I climbed up and had just pulled my bow up when that dude came strolling back by. By the time I nocked an arrow he was past me, walking straight away. Being young and dumb I came to full draw and as soon as he showed me his ribs I aimed high and let it fly. I heard the tell-tale thud and the buck took off across a creek and layed down halfway up the hill. My dad and I went back after dark, about 4 hours after the shot and the deer was still alive and took off running again so we went home and waited longer. We went back in the middle of the night and found him about 250 yards from where he had been hit. I hit one lung and liver at 47 yards. That was 13 years ago and I've never killed one from that distance since then.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
As my sig suggests..... I pride myself on gettin' 'em in tight! Pointblank, slamdunk, range is what gets my heart pounding!

My farthest shot to date is a 45 yarder.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree 100% man! Out of my 24 bowkills, only 3 were longer than 30 yards. Most have been between 15-27 yards.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine was a 179" buck @ 56yds, and ran 30yds and crashed!!
Dang man! 56 yards is a poke under any circumstances, especially with a monster like that standing out there! Way to hold it together and lay the smack down!

·
Registered
456 Posts
53 yards, he came out of the tree line into the field and fed parrallell with me for 10 min. I drew my bow and let down twice till i got my nerves settled enough i could make the shot. 10 ringed him and he dropped 60 yds later in sight in the field. It was my farthest shot but i practiced that shot many times. droid pics 1225.jpg

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Mine was 44 yds he went maybe 25 yds. Got him thru the heart. All the others except for one have been inside 25yds

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bblue21, that's a great deer. I don't care if someone smokes a deer at 80 yards as long as they've practiced enough that the shot isn't complete luck. I practice out to 60 yards everytime I shoot and feel confident hunting to 50 but I'm going to extend my range this year so maybe I can join you fellers in the 50+ yard club! But I'd be thrilled to keep drilling them inside 30!

·
Registered
456 Posts
it was the farthest deer ive shot but IMHO no where near the most exciting. Theres just nothing like watching that buck from afar and then seeing him turn and walk to your tree like hes on a string. Shooting them close is what really gets my blood pumping. (but i can say i did feel extremely satisfied after i made the 50+ yd shot)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
call bs on this if you want. i used to know a man. that shot a bow with his teeth. he ran a local bow shop. he shot a doe at 97 yards. he showed me where it happened. i cant say he would lie about it. but decide for yourself.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Doe kill at 42 yards, she travelled a bit tho even tho she was double lunged. Her hide covered the hole and she bled like a muscle hit after 75yards. She went 175 yards. Every other kill of mine has been inside 25 yards. Total kills for me is in the 30's. I like them close.

·
Registered
750 Posts
58 yds, deer went less than 100 yds. Would have rather taken a 20 yds shot but it was not ment to be. That was 5 years ago and I was shooting alot, 400/500 arrows a week. I would not take that shot now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
54 yard doe kill is the farthest for me. shot her in the heart and she went about 40 yards

·
Registered
451 Posts
I killed my javelina two years ago at 71 yards. My buddy had just smacked his and the herd busted up. We were on a hill across a steep wash from the herd. After he hit his, they buggered out of a cave and up the opposite side and one boar stopped at the top to look around. His mistake. I had time to range him and gather myself to make the shot. He was quartered away and was standing perfectly still. I put my pin just in front of his back hip and watched the arrow sink in that exact spot. The arrow came out his opposite front shoulder and he piled up 30 yards away. That's my longest shot to date. Conditions were perfect for it, though. No wind or anything.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Farthest shot for me is a tie between the speed goat in my avatar and a mulie doe. Both during the season of '10. The antelope was decoyed in, 70 yards give or take (no time to range him) I put the pin on him and let it go, he was quartering to me a little and it hit him tight to the scapula, took a weird deflection inside him and came out behind his diaphragm. Took out a lung and his liver, he never really ran, he stumbled around for a few seconds, made it about 25 yards and layed down, he was out in about 30 seconds.
Later that year I had a mulie doe, ranged at 70, took the shot, I don't know what happened but the arrow took her in front of her front leg in the neck. There was snow and a heavy bloodtrail because I hit her in the juggler. She went about eighty yards and piled up. After that experience I decided to impose a maximum range on game, I now practice out to 80 but during hunting season my farthest pin is to 60, thre probably won't be many circumstances that could tempt me to shoot past 50.

·
Premium Member
26,859 Posts
42 Yards,Double lunged a Big 8 pt last fall with the 2 blade rage,complete pass thru,he dropped within 20-25 yards.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
33 yards shooting a right handed bow left handed because i was tired of standing in my lock on , so i sat down and put my left hand practice to work... shooting a whisper creek innovator pro, at 61# with 392 gr axis 400 with 100 gr razorback,,, clean pass through

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
25 yards and he ran 100 yards.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts