Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a new shooter who is shooting hunter class. I only have one bow and I'm trying to avoid going from 68lbs down to 58lbs and re-sighting just for a weekend shoot.
Everyone I shoot with is shooting these ultra light fat arrows. Today I won my class but would have had 6 more points had my arrow been a smidge fatter.
Are there any arrows out there that would be an option for me? Specifically regarding fat arrows that would work with 68/30.5

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I say stick with what you have because you won your class. It sounds like you just need some more practice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I say stick with what you have because you won your class. It sounds like you just need some more practice.
Understood, and that's a valid point, however to me, it's not about winning its about shooting the best round that I can. If 20 guys showed up today instead of 12 I may not have won.
Practice will get me more than 6 points, but I'm about to get more arrows anyway so I'd like to get some 3D specific if possible.
6 points, or even two points for that matter isn't something that I'm willing to leave on the table.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Are you shooting standard diameter arrows now? .245 inside and around .295 outside? And are you just wanting something bigger for just 3D but has the same trajectory as your hunting arrow...or use the same arrow for both?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you shooting standard diameter arrows now? .245 inside and around .295 outside? And are you just wanting something bigger for just 3D but has the same trajectory as your hunting arrow...or use the same arrow for both?
Today I shot Easton Hexx 330s which I believe are .280

I guess I'm looking for something just for indoor range time and my 3D weekends.
I guess now that I think about it I'll likely have to re-sight whatever I get, but yes...similar trajectory would be great but just getting a larger diameter shaft

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Let us know what equipment you are shooting. Is there something wrong with the arrows you have now? Since you are still new at the matches, get better with what you have first. You might discover you just need more practice or a slight sight adjustment. Changing equipment will not get you better scores. Hard work and practice will get you a higher score in the long run, with the equipment that you have.

I have been back in archery about 3 years. I am now just planning to upgrade the used bow I bought when I started for something with a smoother draw.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Let us know what equipment you are shooting. Is there something wrong with the arrows you have now? Since you are still new at the matches, get better with what you have first. You might discover you just need more practice or a slight sight adjustment. Changing equipment will not get you better scores. Hard work and practice will get you a higher score in the long run, with the equipment that you have.

I have been back in archery about 3 years. I am now just planning to upgrade the used bow I bought when I started for something with a smoother draw.
PSE DRIVE NXT 30.5in DL with 68lbs on the bench.
CBE Tactic Micro 5 pin (CBE Engage Hybrid 5 pin to be delivered tomorrow)
I dont remember what rest I have but QAD cable driven? (Complete guess)
B-Stinger microhex 8" w 7oz out front. (Trying to find a 10" to put that out front and flip the 8 for a side bar)
Easton Hexx 330 w 50gr insert and 125gr tip
(Also have Victory RIP TKO 300s w the same sleeve and tip weight)

I bought this bow which is my first ever about 40 days ago. I'm averaging around 350 quality shots per week over 3-5 days ranging from 15 out to 50 yards.

I do currently struggle with shooting between my pins (20/30/40/45/50).
A majority of my "misses" are very minor but mostly come when I'm trying to shoot x3-x7 yards. Example 21 yds, 29 yds, 31 yds are dead on but guessing holdover on mid distance is producing a lot of misses (inches, but still a miss). That's why I've upgraded to the Hybrid slider.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Today I shot Easton Hexx 330s which I believe are .280

I guess I'm looking for something just for indoor range time and my 3D weekends.
I guess now that I think about it I'll likely have to re-sight whatever I get, but yes...similar trajectory would be great but just getting a larger diameter shaft
Okay so thats about 7.3 grains per inch or there abouts. So if you pick a fat arrow with about the same weight per inch,and make sure your components come out about the same. You will get similar trajectory. The fatter arrow will probably require some sight adjustment just by virtue of it being fatter.
A Gold tip series 22 is 7.3 grains per inch and is .338 od. and is a standard .300 spine. If you go with a pin nock system you will probably pick up some weight there and then just balance it out to match your hunting arrow with the point weight . And that's just an example.

Ultimately a sight and rest that allows some easy micro adjustment will allow you to go back and forth easier. When you have marks on them you can return to zero with either arrow. Sometimes you want to make small adjustments anyway to tweak it in for current conditions on the range.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You will also have to watch for vane clearance problems...you will probably have to use a lower profile vane then say a Blazer. Think about the overall diameter including vanes. Maybe you have some room to play with,maybe running close now ?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Ok to go with bigger shafts, but read into what you said. “ guys are shooting “fatter” shafts”, but yet you won. A 23 diameter shaft will most times give you better scores than a fat 26 or 27 shaft will because of “ forgiveness. Doesn’t matter if a shaft is bigger if it doesn’t tune and you miss your mark further. You still want catch the line. At your specs above mentioned arrows and even Gold Tip X-cutters are all great shafts. If speed limit class is 280 +3%, means you can shoot an speed up to and not over 288fps. I would build an arrow as heavy as possible with 120-140 grain points to get a speed of 289-285 FPS. Vanes I would go lower profile like a Q2i fusion x-ll vane. 2.1” long, .43” high and only weigh 5.8 grains each. I wouldn’t go any bigger shaft than a 24 or 25 diameter. They will tune better, group tighter, and hit behind the pin, especially at 30-40 yards. At your draw weight and length I personally would go with an x-cutter with at least 140 grain points. My specs are 336 ibo bow, with 65# limbs, 27.5” draw length and a v-TAC 23 arrow cut 26” ctc with (3) fusion 2.1 vanes , pin nocks , and a 150 grain point. Total arrow weight of 368 grains at 286 FPS. And bareshafts fly like darts at 30 yards and they group together tight and front weight keeps glance outs to almost 0.

·
Registered
Realm X / Reckoning
49 Posts
Keep in mind, bigger shafts catch the wind more. If you're shooting into a cross wind you'll get that big diameter arrow pulled further along the wind which can cost you more points. Some of the known pro guys are starting to shoot .166's.

·
<------Reese
Reckoning, GEN7X, Fast Eddie XL, Easton 6.5 Matrix, DCA IconX 625
15,631 Posts
Victory v-tac 23, Easton SuperDrive, GT, black eagle all make what your looking for. Just a matter of what you want. I’m really liking the V-Tac 23 for indoor and 3d... good tolerances, tough, fly great, easy to pull.
This is a solid list, but I would add the GT 22's also.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,791 Posts
i shoot black eagle ps26s and have been well pleased with them

·
Registered
Elite Valor 70# ,TR react trio pro, Element arrows, 20 percent Foc
224 Posts
Just save your first cbe sight for hunting take it off and tune your new sight to the 3D arrows

Reactions: DialedN_07

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,125 Posts
Just shoot what you have. It will make you a better hunter.

Reactions: Pyme and DialedN_07

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow. Really helpful answers everyone. Thanks so much. I definitely have a lot of homework and research in front of me.

I like the idea of a similar trajectory larger diameter arrow which would take less set up than adjusting EVERYTHING. Also, I didn't think about having two different sights for each application. That could certainly work.

Off to the depths of the internet to start compiling a list of these different recommendations.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you want a fat arrow that is suitable for hunting and 3D I’d consider a Easton xx75. Most carbon fat arrows are either going to be too light or too brittle for hunting IMO.

Speed is nice for 3D shooting but not as critical as some believe when it comes to shooting 35 yard max hunter class.

Picking up points with a fatter shaft for 3D is controversial. Skinny shafts are going to do better in the wind, fat shafts may pick up a point or two, maybe. Skinny shafts will pick up a point or two in windy condition. Kinda of a give and take.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you want a fat arrow that is suitable for hunting and 3D I’d consider a Easton xx75. Most carbon fat arrows are either going to be too light or too brittle for hunting IMO.
Agreed. I don't want to use them for hunting per say, I just would like a similar trajectory to my hunting arrows so I don't have to adjust everything constantly!
Good points!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
A few thoughts....

You're shooting 3D to practice for hunting, so shoot your hunting gear.

Second, if you're counting on a few thousands of an inch of shaft to make up your score, you're concentrating on the wrong things.

Lastly, and most importantly, relax, and enjoy the sport more. You said you just bought your first bow 40 days ago. Just relax and work on your basics for a while. No disrespect, but you're not good enough yet to be obsessed with "leaving two points on the table", when you're still changing sights, experimenting with stabilizers, and don't even know what rest you are shooting. You don't have your gear sorted out or your fundamentals nailed down solid; don't worry yet about trying to find little tricks that have just as many downsides as upsides trying to nab a random point here and there.

Reactions: Mr. Ken
1 - 20 of 25 Posts