Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Here is another example about knowing what you are doing. Give Willie M. or Minnesota Fats a broom handle and a cube of chalk. You will probably get beat.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
If its a dual purpose bow just keep what you got. If you want a target bow, buy the fattest arrow you can get that hits a reasonable speed. Im currently shooting Gold Tip 30X but have shot Black Eagle PS27s. Victory makes a new VTAC 25 thats only 7.2 GPI. That bad boy will fly fast and cut lines. Probably my next arrow.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
The Impartial Archer
18,950 Posts
I'm a new shooter who is shooting hunter class. I only have one bow and I'm trying to avoid going from 68lbs down to 58lbs and re-sighting just for a weekend shoot.
You can't go to a fat shaft and not resight & retune the bow. I use to do what you are doing but I had to sights that were preset and the arrows were the same OD. 23/64ths. One weighed about 400 grains the other 500. So I didn't have to retune and just swapped the sights which was easy because they were dovetailed bases and the same brand.

Best case you have to move the sight as a group (if you have a multipin and stay with the same weight) and then shoot a bow that is not tuned for one OD or the other.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You said you didn't want to make sight adjustments just for a weekend shoot, but you want to have to retune your entire setup to shoot fatter shafts? Seems kind of counter productive.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Honestly id stick with what you have. I shot fat shafts for years in 3d and actually saw my scores go up when i dropped down in shaft size simply from wind drift and deflections off other arrows. My highest 3d scores in open were with victory vaps and my highest in hunter class were with standard diameter black eagle carnivores. This season i will be shooting 28" 70# and am set up with the new easton 6.5's in 250 spine with 175 grain tips

21 - 25 of 25 Posts