Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started some local 3D shoots and have been having a blast. However the conditions are very windy as most of the shoots happen to be in areas where high and cross winds come through the range. What are you favorite arrows for dealing with windy conditions? I’m considering using Gold Tips Pierce line of arrows. Any thoughts on micro diameter shafts?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I like micro shafts myself for outdoor 3d and hunting. I shoot vaps myself. I haven’t had very good luck with gold tips tolerances. I like to shoot them with 160gns out front. The more foc ive used the less deflection I get when the 12 ring gets crowded. We have a 120yd shot at our spring shoot every year. I’ve shot that target in 20mph winds multiple times with friends that use standard diameter shafts. I’m on avg 5/6” closer with slightly tighter groups. It’s really not much vs standard diameter but there is definitely a slight advantage in the wind. I’ve also found that with a heavy helical fletch they hold their flight path tighter over long range with heavy winds. Basically eliminated the parachuting I was seeing out past 60yds with offset blazers.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If your shooting known yardage add more point weight and shoot a larger diameter arrow. High FOC greatly helps in wind drift.

If you are shooting unknown yardage then yes, look at a skinny fast shaft with small vanes.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Black Eagle PS23

·
Ice Cold
11,925 Posts
I primarily shoot micro diameter shafts for 3D and I’ve done pretty well with them. If the courses were all less than 50 yards I’d go with a 23 diameter probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Impartial Archer
18,805 Posts
Personally I would like to see a test because IMHO I can't see the micro arrows helping as much as people think. The fletching is still there and by far is the biggest surface area for the wind to hit. It doesn't seem like 3/32 of inch of shaft will matter near as much as a vane 2 inches high and 2 - 4 inches long.

Then if you are a hunter and shoot a fixed blade...….even more surface area...…..

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Personally I would like to see a test because IMHO I can't see the micro arrows helping as much as people think. The fletching is still there and by far is the biggest surface area for the wind to hit. It doesn't seem like 3/32 of inch of shaft will matter near as much as a vane 2 inches high and 2 - 4 inches long.

Then if you are a hunter and shoot a fixed blade...….even more surface area...…..
Multiply that 3/32" by the length of the shaft and you'll see that you're talking about more surface area than your entire fletching.

·
Premium Member
Reckoning 35 for 3D, RealmX for hunt, PSE SupraFocusXL for spot . Axcel, ARC release, Victory.
2,128 Posts
I've been shooting GT Nine.3's 'cause there's 300fps limit in competitions where I go and I get those go nicely in there.
Still 397Gr arrow and ICE-vanes to reduce wind drift, but actually haven't seen much difference under 16-17mph wind between ICE, Blazer or AAE MAX vanes in same arrow.
Haven't have problem's in our competitions what actually mostly are in forrest and maximum distance 60 yards.

Have shoot in same conditions at VAP.166 and Nine.3 out at crosswind.
There's a difference for 54 yards, what I mostly shoot, but it's not that big.
U can estimate and take correction before shot.

Now when I go WA-class bow, what's under 60pounds, my 2 arrows will be Black Eagle's PS22 and Victory's 3DHV.
I can get them close to same weight easily and depending on wind I will pic an arrow.
With Spot-Hogg's Edge swap blade rest I can change them even in same competition if wind rises or I go to open fields.
We'll see how it goes and if there is any reason to switch arrow between shot's. It's possible anyway...

·
Registered
26 Posts
My setup handles the wind awesome. And here in Vegas our range is windy more days than not. I shoot a Black Eagle X Impact with Victory SS insert/outsert, gold tip GTO nock, four fletched right helical with AAE pro max vanes. Low profile shaft, high FOC, spins tight. It's a monster on penetration too for hunting purposes. Best all around setup I have come up with for my uses.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Shooting spots anyway, I haven't shot anything yet that flies better than my A/C/E's with AAE shield cut 2" vanes. The barreled shape is what I think does it. But even shooting way overspined and heavy 470's/100grain points out of a 32 lb supra max, they still group pretty decent at 50 meters. At full poundage (about 40lbs), I can almost shoot competitive groups at 50m with them. In fact, for me, the main problem with my setup in the wind is the bow far and away more than the arrow. With nothing but a 10" stab on it, the wind really tosses it around unlike a full-on freestyle setup with a ton of weight on it.

So I need all the help I can get outdoors and the A/C/E's so far work the best.

But full disclosure on the problems: the main problems with the A/C/E are the nutty cost and fragility of the shaft. A good whack on something in the target, or a robin hood will practically snap the back end off the shaft. And at the cost for a dozen of them, mistakes really get expensive pretty quick.

But if you can afford that, they work great outdoors.

lee.

·
Semper Fidelis
1,282 Posts
Multiply that 3/32" by the length of the shaft and you'll see that you're talking about more surface area than your entire fletching.
Exactly

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate everyone’s input! Given the fact that the longer the distance, the more the flight path of that arrow has a possibility of affecting its intended impact point. I’m not an arrow guru, but I do understand that with all things considering, every little bit helps!

·
Registered
800 Posts
For 3d , using a micro arrow, make sure bow is tuned with bareshafts and then use the shortest low profile vane you can. Smaller the vane , less wind can interfere with your arrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts