Archery Talk Forum banner

Favorite/Best time to hunt Kansas to kill a mature buck?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Depending upon the weather I prefer late October during pre rut......I’m strictly spot and stalk so when the bucks are cruising is the best for me, rut is good but there are a lot of extra eyes at that point.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
More big bucks are killed in the midwest around Thanksgiving than any other time. Depends what type of deer you want to kill. Immature bucks will be running every where the first 2 weeks of November with the 5 year old bucks locked down til about Thanksgiving. If you like killing young 140 inch deer go early November. Those are nice deer for inexperienced hunters or those who just want to fill their tag to justify the cost of a non resident tag. If you want a mature deer go the later part of November.

·
Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More big bucks are killed in the midwest around Thanksgiving than any other time. Depends what type of deer you want to kill. Immature bucks will be running every where the first 2 weeks of November with the 5 year old bucks locked down til about Thanksgiving. If you like killing young 140 inch deer go early November. Those are nice deer for inexperienced hunters or those who just want to fill their tag to justify the cost of a non resident tag. If you want a mature deer go the later part of November.
I'm thinking that this next year I'm going to try and plan my trip for around Thanksgiving like you mentioned. I've had great luck around the first few weeks of November like most, but haven't had any encounters with any giants like Kansas is known for.

·
Registered
770 Posts
After hunting Kansas Rut for over 15 years now I've started to like the second half of Nov. more. Believe it or not it can be better even during lock down. Seems like the Big boys are really going hard in daylight and seems to see new big boys show up too. Some of the biggest bucks are killed before and after thanksgiving week.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
I'm thinking that this next year I'm going to try and plan my trip for around Thanksgiving like you mentioned. I've had great luck around the first few weeks of November like most, but haven't had any encounters with any giants like Kansas is known for.
Kansas isn't really known for giants anymore. That ended about 25 plus years ago.

·
Registered
120 Posts
gross 193 3/8 green nov 14 2016 ,first sighting nov 5th pm 13 yds no shot to dark,second sighting nov 6th pm 13 yds no shot to dark,3rd nov 14 am shot 11yds [how do you spell giant] ,pics on SHANE CHUNNINGS ontarget7 sportsman web site,167 5/8 net BC 190 7/8 NT ,first arrow fired at white tail in 8 years, and yes I didn't fire one this year and that's ok by me

·
Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kansas isn't really known for giants anymore. That ended about 25 plus years ago.
Kansas might not be known for giants anymore like you claim, but it still produces great deer every year somehow. I look forward to my trip out there every other year and the hunting always seems to get better with tons of mature deer sightings. I wish I was around 25 plus years ago to see how good that it used to be.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Lol. Love big locked down bucks off thier stomping grounds the first few weeks of November. Just an opinion from a nr that made some fine tag soup that could’ve put it on multiple Immature deer scoring 140 this year.

·
Scout, Hunt, Kill!!!
4,261 Posts
^^^ That could be said about many Midwest states. Before people got on forums starting threads like this, or what public land area to hunt.

It is next impossible to kill mature deer in areas where they are very rare. A big part of our 2 and 3 year old bucks get killed from October 25-November 15 here in Western KY, every year.

If you know where a mature buck lives, I think the best time to kill him is October 23-November 6. I know that is a two week period, but if you know where his core is, he is very vulnerable in that time frame.

If you're going to an unfamiliar piece of public, I'd highly advise against the first two weeks of November. I'd be looking hard at the last two weeks for a chance at a 5 year old or better after lockdown.

I'd still take a late December/early January hunt over isolated standing beans in the snow over any November date.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Really, I never would have known that having started hunting here in the 70's.
You want a cookie because you know the reason or because you’re old?

I was simply agreeing with what you stated about Kansas not being the land of giants anymore but I guess, there’s always guys like you.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Surprised at the results.. I've never been to Kansas hunting, but one of my best friends hunts private land in central Ks. It has been obvious to us, the later half of Nov has been better. His big buck sightings are from 15-18th to thanksgiving, for bucks he don't know, covering lots of ground.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts