Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at Stan releases but am not sure what to get because there's soo many makes and models by lots of company's also. What's your favorite release and why?

·
Genesis 21:20
22,536 Posts
I like the Park Sung Hyun model myself, but it's a bit outdated now. :D

jk, good luck finding a release you like!

·
Lowered expectations
17,095 Posts
My favourites are couple of old Carters - a BK3D and a pair of 2LITTLEs. They’re my favorites because they still work, and new ones are so frigging expensive.

I have a hard time believing that there can be a need for so many different versions of the same thing on the market. I mean, do we really need a couple hundred different ways to push a button about a 32nd of an inch? :)

Seriously, though, these are a try-before-you-buy deal. Got to fit YOUR hand comfortably.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Stans don't fit my hand at all. Which is too bad since they adjust really nicely.

TruBall medium fit me very well and adjust almost as well.

Clearly people like both so either test drive a few if possible or buy them cheap/used and if they don't work you aren't out much.

·
12 stepper for gear...
4,182 Posts
I have two favourite releases, both different types by different companies.
1. Stan Shoot-off. This is my go-to. I can shoot it any time. I took a tech course at the PSE factory (which included some shooting and coaching) and was trying to shoot a Truball HBX. It wasn't going super smooth, and Alexander Kirillov put the Shoot-off in my hand, explained how to shoot it with back tension. Pete Shepley gave me a few additional pointers, which was pretty awesome. I grew to love it.
2. Truball HBC (not the HBX, I found it way to easy to cheat). This one requires more focus for me, but is so smooth when everything is going right.
Both are easy to cheat, so it takes discipline to use them properly.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
I only have two releases. Both are Stans, both are 4-finger, both are size Large, both can be locked onto your string and both are thumb releases. To me, both are great releases and both are highly adjustable. The Perfex is a little more expensive than the SX3 (Neither one is cheap). But if I could only have one, it would be the Perfex.

My oldest is a Stan SX3 and my newest is a Stan Perfex.

Here are the ones I bought off Amazon.
SX3:
https://www.amazon.com/Copper-John-...=sx3+release&qid=1593987396&sr=8-2&th=1&psc=1

Perfex:
https://www.amazon.com/Stanislawski...d=1593988139&sprefix=prefex+re,aps,163&sr=8-4

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have only 3 release’s. Plenty for a Barebow shooter you might say! But I plaY around Compound once in a while. All 3 are Carter’s. The 3 finger BK that I took off the rope and shoot with a loop. A Quickie is the only strap release. And an old “ SAME OLD THING”. It gotta be 20+ years old! The SOT started locking up under load. My wife shoots so it was imperative to get fixed. I set it to Carter and they put all new spring, Sears, every moving part was new. For $20 shipped to my door. Customer service is everything.
Thanks Arrowchucker

·
Registered
256 Posts
Darrell Pace was always my model for a good release.

As for mechanical release aids, a 30 year old, cast handle (not machined aluminum) Stanislawski two finger is my favorite. Of the releases still being manufactured I like the Carter Insatiable.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
The Ledge was responsible for me getting back to Oly............So the Ledge is my favorite. I suppose a Carter target 3 for a thumb and a Stan MoreX for a hinge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts