Archery Talk Forum banner

Which season do you prefer to kill a deer?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s your favorite season to butcher a deer? Early season I find is easier to butcher because of the lack of fat and softer hide. However there’s a race against the clock to get it cooled down which sucks. I also have a non-scientific theory that deer taste better in this season as well due to their diet.

Mid-season has lower temps which is awesome, however higher fat content that prolongs the butchering process. Especially in early-mid November.

Reactions: Glad2BNico

·
Registered
Your game camera and sticks
2,809 Posts
These days for me, the easiest is to just donate the entire deer. The form takes 1 minute to fill out or at least the one for my state. If It was an absolute must, I guess I would want to have to mess with one late season or whenever the KEB Flys die off

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Early season. Best deer I ever ate I killed last Oct 10. Was a big buck with access to corn and alfalfa. Just laying around eating good stuff all summer and not all rutted up yet.

I shoot crop damage deer in summer and that’s nice too. Hardly any hair and no fat they are much easier to process. Also been eating good lush green food.

But I do gutless method so any time is fine with me

·
Registered
14,790 Posts
Mid season is my favorite time to hunt deer for every reason, specifically Oct 20-Nov 15, nice hunting weather/butchering weather, bucks are active and as pretty as they get, and of course that window holds the most broad rut activity… early December can be epic, one hot doe can create a scene that seems too good to be true… butcher weather is also good, but bucks aren’t as handsome… they may be more rut crazed than ever, but their necks are usually not swollen anymore… that scene I crave is a big swollen neck dark antlered blacktail buck in his winter cape… nothing tops that, and I would trade that for twice the work butchering

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Doesn't matter to me.

I've killed them as early as Sept 14th and as late as January 3rd. They get hung in my garage and cut up within hours of hitting the ground....so it doesn't really matter for me whether it's 90 or -20 outside.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Prefer everything about the Mid Oct - Thanksgiving time frame, but I've shot my share on opening day (9/15) as well. But those deer usually go to the processor rather than me dealing with the heat, flies, chiggers and mosquitos.

·
Uncredible
2,729 Posts
I shoot most deer in the first week to 10 days of Season so I have outfitted the building to process them in 70-90 degree temps. I prefer the meat of early season deer before the hormones start raging.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I hunt a few hours from home and have an aversion to paying to use a cooler but that is not a deal breaker. My most consistently "good" venison comes from eighteen month old does shot in mid to late October that I butcher myself.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Best eating deer I every got was a mule deer Aug 18th he was a mature 4 point (west scoring). I actually ate him faster than the spike elk I killed 13 days later. Got me thinking since I had never drawn an early deer tag before if the real benefit besides a limited draw tag with big bucks was table fair? Not what the poles really about since it’s really about whitetail deer. But I wonder if it holds true across subspecies?

·
Back down to ground level
18,225 Posts
Early season. Best deer I ever ate I killed last Oct 10. Was a big buck with access to corn and alfalfa. Just laying around eating good stuff all summer and not all rutted up yet.

I shoot crop damage deer in summer and that’s nice too. Hardly any hair and no fat they are much easier to process. Also been eating good lush green food.

But I do gutless method so any time is fine with me
An old timer I had the fortune to know told me he and the gang he hunted with stopped shooting bucks when they started to rut because the meat on a doe was much better at that time. How time has changed things!

·
Registered
54,276 Posts
What’s your favorite season to butcher a deer? Early season I find is easier to butcher because of the lack of fat and softer hide. However there’s a race against the clock to get it cooled down which sucks. I also have a non-scientific theory that deer taste better in this season as well due to their diet.

Mid-season has lower temps which is awesome, however higher fat content that prolongs the butchering process. Especially in early-mid November.
When you harvest one!!!!!! Early, mid, late doesn't mean a thing if you know what doing.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
An old timer I had the fortune to know told me he and the gang he hunted with stopped shooting bucks when they started to rut because the meat on a doe was much better at that time. How time has changed things!
Yeah I’ve never had a bad tasting deer any time of year. This one was just noticeably better and more tender. It also died quick with a double lung pass through so I think that helps too

1 - 20 of 36 Posts