Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
I have a 40# recurve bow
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your favorite head for stump shooting and why?

The only ones I have tried are the judo points and so far not impressed. Every single one breaks or chips the blunted tip after just a couple shots. The arms seem to pick up debris like crazy and I always have to tap the end on my boot or something to shake out the dirt and grass. Its supposed to stop the arrow from penetrating too deep I guess. Unsure if that is a big problem with other heads.

Plant Street light Terrestrial plant Wood Twig

Follow up question to any heads that don't have the judo style arms on the side - how much does your blunt tip penetrate into dirt, stumps?

Thanks!

·
Lowered expectations
19,044 Posts
We just had this discussion a few days ago...

I always used to carry an assortment - field points, rubber blunts, solid blunts, judos. Use and penetration depends on what the “stump” actually is. 😄

Usually, field points for something on open ground or the side of a hill or mound where the arrow won’t bury, judos for grass or heavy ground cover where the arrow will bury, rubber blunts for rocks and such, and solid blunts for actual stumps or wood so the arrow won’t penetrate too far.

·
Registered
905 Posts
On RPS shafts I cut down a blunt to 1/3 it's original length and slip a HTM rubber blunt over the reduced weight blunt.
Installing a blunt over just the insert will damage arrows. The cut down blunt solves that problem without 125gr + 125 grain (too heavy) point. Not a fan of Judo.

·
Registered
I have a 40# recurve bow
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Must have missed it if there was a similar topic, I apologize.

Most what im shooting at is dead sticks/stumps, pinecones, nothing terribly hard. Occasionally one of the stumps might be a little less rotted than I thought.
One aspect I do like with the judo is that when shooting at a stump or downed log it usually sticks in and stays. That way I can easily see where i impacted.
With rubber or the hex nut style heads do they bounce off of logs?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Where I shoot if you're not shooting a judo, you probably just lost your arrow. I've had a few that the tips got bent a little bit, but it didn't matter any to performance. The rubber blunts that I have tried always bounce and skid for a long ways, and things like hex heads bury under the grass and leaves too bad. After trying a few things, judos is all I'll use for shooting at random stuff. I do still carry a hex head in case I want to shoot at a rabbit or something, but if I'm shooting at a bird I'll still use the judo

·
Registered
I have a 40# recurve bow
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How large of a washer are you using, do you go down in weight from your normal feild tip head to account for the washer weight?

Playing " betcha can't hit that" with myself with random stuff walking through the woods has really helped my accuracy. I do shoot 125 grain heads at the moment so it's perfect for judo weight. But im mid process of bareshafting so my weights may change here shortly.

Ive seen the vpa thumper that Matt mentioned pop up on a few other threads so i think im going to try those and maybe try the washer and see how they compare to the judos.
As always guys, I always appreciate the input!

·
Registered
I have a 40# recurve bow
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The main selling point of the judos for me was to stop it from getting lost. Where I am shooting, it hasnt been a huge problem as of yet. They are just the only ones I have tried so just looking at other options. Even chipped they still fly well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When hunting with a recurve, I always have one or two arrows with a hammerhead for small game and stumps. When hunting with a compound I carry hammerheads in case I want / need to shoot small game. With the compound there’s just too much power for casual shooting; I don’t wanna damage or lose arrows.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
25,196 Posts
How large of a washer are you using, do you go down in weight from your normal feild tip head to account for the washer weight?
I don’t worry about the weight of the washer. I suppose if you are using the bigger fender washers a guy could drop down from a 145g FP to a 125g to offset the difference. I dont.

I tried the big fender washers and don’t think it’s necessary, some of those are actually too big. Are use whatever I have on hand which isn’t exactly perfect because sometimes those washers don’t fit exactly right on the shaft of the field point. I have used some that don’t fit exactly perfect and haven’t seen that matter all that much either.

it is best to bring a field point with you to the hardware store and if you can’t find one that fits perfectly, get a washer with a hole in the center that is slightly smaller, then drill them for a perfect fit.

FWIW, I bought some of those expensive blunts and there is absolutely no difference between those and a field point with a washer, IME. My primary use for these blunts is shooting grouse and stumps. A washer with about an eighth of an inch outside the diameter of the field point works fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use the Zwicky Judo heads. There stout but not bulletproof (nothing really is). I try to pick further targets (50+ yards) so that way the arrow is traveling slower and should be easier to pull out. I also try my best to avoid wood that isn't rotten. Luckily my shafts are Walmart Special Kryptos so im only out $4.50 if a shaft breaks, i always recover the Judo though.

·
Bowhunter Emeritus
500 Posts
The Zwickey Judos, G5 SGH, Saunders Bludgeon, etc. all work well, but they all have their pros and cons. And they definitely have scenarios they are best suited for. Just depends on what your target is and where you're hunting.

So I was at the hardware store yesterday in the bulk fastener section. Picked up some SS external tooth lock washers to experiment with...

Writing implement Office supplies Pen Tints and shades Stationery

Body jewelry Earrings Twig Jewellery Art

The lock washers weigh 5 gr (with about .2gr +/- variation) and were a whopping $0.30 each. Arrow on the left is a Carbon Express CX200 Hunter and on the right is a Easton Axis 340/5mm. Haven't tried them out yet, but the weather seems to be warming up so maybe I'll tinker with them soon.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have been stump shooting once a week for about 9 months out of the year for about three years now with a friend on his 20 acres. Not all, but most stumps in our area are NOT rotten and soft, but more akin to concrete. Actually shooting stumps would frequently destroy our arrows. It would be better to describe our shooting as “roving” through the outdoors while shooting at randomly chosen targets at random distances.

I, of course, have not tried all the available different types of blunt arrow points, but I have tried a number of different types. In my opinion, the best all around “go-to” roving arrow point for me would be the Swickey Judo Point. I have found the Swickey brand Judo Point to be better for me than very similar cheaper knock-off copy brands. If I could only own and use one type of point, then I would choose the Swickey Judo Point. Fortunately, I am not required to choose and use only one type of blunt point. I envision no good reason to do this for my purposes.

As with most things, the Swickey “Unloseable Miracle Point” is not perfect. Under most conditions that I encounter, one must always clean the debris from the point after each shot. But, in my hands they are difficult to damage and almost (emphasize “almost”) impossible to lose. When we choose to shoot at targets up in trees (e.g., leaves and various inedible fruit) with flu-flu arrows, the Judo Points become entangled on their way falling back to the ground. I will no longer use Judo Points for these types of shots.

My second favorite roving blunt tip is the Saunders Bludgeon Blunts. I hope they have not ceased making these. I no longer see them in the 3Rivers Catalog. Under many conditions they stop as quickly as the Judo Points. They do not accumulate debris that must be removed after each shot. They do not hang-up in the tree canopy. But under some vegetation and wet conditions, the Saunders Bludgeon Blunts will skip and slide much farther than the Judo Points.

My friend exclusively uses Swickey Judo Points. I carry several of both types of blunts in the pouch on my back quiver. When I find that my arrows are hopping, bouncing, sliding, or are more difficult to locate than my friend’s arrows, then I immediately exchange my Sanders Bludgeon Blunt for a Swickey Judo Point.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Been stumping for almost 50 years. Tried almost everything. Something behind a regular field point works pretty good but sometimes sticks in trees if shooting at squirrels. Rubber blunt don’t stick but can run under the grass on get lost. Ace Hex heads kinda the same, but hit ALOT harder. Squirrel is tough critter. When shooting wood they tended to break right behind the head. And I was using Ash then. Judo’s are not perfect but I only broke 2 ever. Almost unlosable , I like 200-250 points so I get some assorted steel BHA and mix and match with all of them.. I will have an assortment this year. Weighted judos, 125 screwin steel blunts with 125 rubber blunts over the top. And some Flu- Flu with el cheap o broadheads.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts