Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Corripe Cervisiam
25,312 Posts
How large of a washer are you using, do you go down in weight from your normal feild tip head to account for the washer weight?
I don’t worry about the weight of the washer. I suppose if you are using the bigger fender washers a guy could drop down from a 145g FP to a 125g to offset the difference. I dont.

I tried the big fender washers and don’t think it’s necessary, some of those are actually too big. Are use whatever I have on hand which isn’t exactly perfect because sometimes those washers don’t fit exactly right on the shaft of the field point. I have used some that don’t fit exactly perfect and haven’t seen that matter all that much either.

it is best to bring a field point with you to the hardware store and if you can’t find one that fits perfectly, get a washer with a hole in the center that is slightly smaller, then drill them for a perfect fit.

FWIW, I bought some of those expensive blunts and there is absolutely no difference between those and a field point with a washer, IME. My primary use for these blunts is shooting grouse and stumps. A washer with about an eighth of an inch outside the diameter of the field point works fine.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
25,312 Posts
The Zwickey Judos, G5 SGH, Saunders Bludgeon, etc. all work well, but they all have their pros and cons. And they definitely have scenarios they are best suited for. Just depends on what your target is and where you're hunting.

So I was at the hardware store yesterday in the bulk fastener section. Picked up some SS external tooth lock washers to experiment with...

View attachment 7624032

View attachment 7624033

The lock washers weigh 5 gr (with about .2gr +/- variation) and were a whopping $0.30 each. Arrow on the left is a Carbon Express CX200 Hunter and on the right is a Easton Axis 340/5mm. Haven't tried them out yet, but the weather seems to be warming up so maybe I'll tinker with them soon.
That works!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts