Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
I have a 40# recurve bow
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your favorite head for stump shooting and why?

The only ones I have tried are the judo points and so far not impressed. Every single one breaks or chips the blunted tip after just a couple shots. The arms seem to pick up debris like crazy and I always have to tap the end on my boot or something to shake out the dirt and grass. Its supposed to stop the arrow from penetrating too deep I guess. Unsure if that is a big problem with other heads.

Plant Street light Terrestrial plant Wood Twig

Follow up question to any heads that don't have the judo style arms on the side - how much does your blunt tip penetrate into dirt, stumps?

Thanks!

·
Registered
I have a 40# recurve bow
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Must have missed it if there was a similar topic, I apologize.

Most what im shooting at is dead sticks/stumps, pinecones, nothing terribly hard. Occasionally one of the stumps might be a little less rotted than I thought.
One aspect I do like with the judo is that when shooting at a stump or downed log it usually sticks in and stays. That way I can easily see where i impacted.
With rubber or the hex nut style heads do they bounce off of logs?

·
Registered
I have a 40# recurve bow
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How large of a washer are you using, do you go down in weight from your normal feild tip head to account for the washer weight?

Playing " betcha can't hit that" with myself with random stuff walking through the woods has really helped my accuracy. I do shoot 125 grain heads at the moment so it's perfect for judo weight. But im mid process of bareshafting so my weights may change here shortly.

Ive seen the vpa thumper that Matt mentioned pop up on a few other threads so i think im going to try those and maybe try the washer and see how they compare to the judos.
As always guys, I always appreciate the input!

·
Registered
I have a 40# recurve bow
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The main selling point of the judos for me was to stop it from getting lost. Where I am shooting, it hasnt been a huge problem as of yet. They are just the only ones I have tried so just looking at other options. Even chipped they still fly well.

·
Registered
I have a 40# recurve bow
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah 30 bucks an arrow seems a bit much for a single arrow, especially for stumping. If that was me I would get a second set of cheapo arrows (probably the stuff peasants like me shoot for everything) just for that and reserve the expensive stuff for taking down an animal or competition

1 - 5 of 5 Posts