Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Corripe Cervisiam
25,267 Posts
The Zwickey Judos, G5 SGH, Saunders Bludgeon, etc. all work well, but they all have their pros and cons. And they definitely have scenarios they are best suited for. Just depends on what your target is and where you're hunting.

So I was at the hardware store yesterday in the bulk fastener section. Picked up some SS external tooth lock washers to experiment with...

View attachment 7624032

View attachment 7624033

The lock washers weigh 5 gr (with about .2gr +/- variation) and were a whopping $0.30 each. Arrow on the left is a Carbon Express CX200 Hunter and on the right is a Easton Axis 340/5mm. Haven't tried them out yet, but the weather seems to be warming up so maybe I'll tinker with them soon.
That works!

·
Registered
I have a 40# recurve bow
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah 30 bucks an arrow seems a bit much for a single arrow, especially for stumping. If that was me I would get a second set of cheapo arrows (probably the stuff peasants like me shoot for everything) just for that and reserve the expensive stuff for taking down an animal or competition

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
I'm down to 2 judo points so I finally tried the wingnut thing. I ended up with a 1 1/4" 8-32 screw, an 8-32 wing nut and two 8-32 nuts. The total weight is about 133 grains...which works for me.

I took them out in the woods and shot some improvised targets in shin high vegetation that isn't as thick as lawn grass. I need to shoot them more to be sure but I don't think they stop on the vegetation quite as well as Judo points but they didn't bury in the dirt and I was able to find them. That might actually be good because I don't hunt with Judo points. So far so good and I think they should kill small critters just fine.

·
Fishing Guide
2,821 Posts
Judos for me. Arrows are tuned for 200 grains up front and use 150 grain BHs with a 50 grain insert. 100 grain judos and inserts shoot the same. On those arrows I've added a carbon collar behind the insert for added strength and they definitely help.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts