Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after reading the last time you ate venison thread and all the mouth watering lipsmackin posts, lets get some of the recipes posted up.if you have the time please post as much info as possible i.e. all the seasonings or marianes(sp) cooking method amounts of meat and ingredents.thanks from my growling stomach:set1_pot:

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
I have too many to list but one of my favorites is incredibly simple. Nice sized roast & a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ Sauce in a crock pot for at least 10 hours. After the meat literally falls off the bone and pulls apart like paper add more BBQ sauce and stick some of it on a good roll or bread. It's good "as is" but hot pepper rings & cheese can't hurt :D

Venison version of a pulled pork sandwich :darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
brown some venison burger, stuff some green peppers with it.... add rice, mushroom gravy and onion. (other spices to suit). cook in crockpot for minimum 4 hours until peppers are tender....... :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
butterfly backstraps or tenderloin...fill with cream cheese and jalepenos....wrap in bacon....grill until cream cheese starts to come out....enjoy

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I hope more people post recipes, because I can honestly tell you that I'm not a venision fan. I think elk is awesome, but usually the only way to have deer meat for me is if it is made into summer sausage or salami. I think if I get some good recipes then that would help. My husband doesn't have a problem with venison, but even in some of the sausage we had made, I could taste the gamey flavor. Now it could be that these are bucks vs does? We always have a buck, but if I get lucky next year, could be a doe.

·
crossbows are archery :)
7,063 Posts
They key to cooking game is simple....

Hot and fast

or

low and slow

Wild game has little fat compaired to beef, pork,lamb to you buy at the store.

So take those hard won deer steaks get your cast iron pan HOT I mean freaken hot! Season the meat lightly (what ever ya like) no suger will burn! Place some peanut oil in pan and cook the meat just till it browns. Flip do the same on the other side. I am saying only 2-4 min each side.

Let the meat settle for a few them serve with a fresh greens and some A-1 helps too.

Low and slow

Roast,chops seasone to taste add some sort of liquid soup,beer,whiskey,wine, etc be cteative. :wink: Add just enough liquid to cover the meat. cook low heat for a long time. Presure cooker,crock pot,oven, etc.

Game meat is very yummy. Ya just have to cook it correct. If ya spent $50 on the finest steak at your local butcher shop and boiled it on water it would taste like crap!

Oh by the way Bow hunting is not my onlt love.... I love to cook if ya can't tell.

Good eats
Koz

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
I eat about 4-5 deer a year, by myself. Most weeks I have venison at least twice, when the women are away, every day.

I cut and wrap all of my venison myself, and although I grind some, the rubberband cuts are better in deer sticks, to me. Chili, paprikash, and stroganoff dishes are for the top shoulder cuts, and the round football roasts from the hind quarters. I freeze all loin and roast cuts whole, never sliced, to minimize freezer burn.

The simplest recipe, and maybe the best, is to take a well trimed roast from the loins or hind quarters, season with coarse grind black pepper, and garlic salt to taste, and place the meat in the referigerator for 2-24 hours. Remove the meat before coopking, tenderize with a fork, and marinade the roast in extra virgin olive oil for about 30min to 1hr. Place the roast in the oven at 375 for 12-16 minutes, depending on size for rare, add 4 minutes for not so rare. Slice the cooked roast ACROSS the grain to serve. Over cooking will turn it into boot leather. For the record, I've eaten elk and venison rare for the last 40 years, several elk, and at least 200 deer, and it hasn't killed me yet. My daughters eat deer meat sandwhiches from leftover roasts as a first choice lunch option. It's tender, and to die for.

The shoulder cuts make the best paprikash and stroganoff you can get on a fork. The meat is really too tough for steaks, and I carefully trim the silvery tendon stuff from the surfaces, but in a crock pot, or cooked slowly on the stove, it's well worth the effort and time.

·
Registered
805 Posts
STOP IT YOU GUYS ARE MAKIN; ME HUNGRY....:drool::drool:

This should have it's own forum:wink:

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
Backstrap butterflied marinade in chicago style A1 marinade for 4 or 5 hours,grill to medium rare, sautee some onions and peppers put it all on a good kaiser roll and you got the best steak sammy you ever had.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
8,071 Posts
black pepper
creole
pickled jalapenos
flour
cooking oil (or peanut oil or olive oil or whatever you use)
steak finger sized venison chops or a little bigger or backstrap butterflies

lay out your meat on a cutting board and apply black pepper and creole seasoning and take a tenderizing hammer and gently tap on the meat. turn over meat and repeat. next dump out pickled jalapenos into large bowl and marinate meat for about 30 minutes. take the meat and the jalapenos and roll in flour. introduce to hot oil and brown on both sides. try not to overcook.

quick simple recipe that is my favorite. you can experiment with different seasonings to your liking. great recipe for elk venison as well.

·
Registered
805 Posts
2 lbs venison steaks
Mrs Dash reg
garlic salt
Adolph's meat tenderizer

Marinade
1/2 cup Italian dressing
1/8-1/4 cup Worchestershire sauce
2-3 T Honey

Mix Italian dressing, Worchey sauce and honey in a bowl.
Poke steaks with fork or Jacard so marinade soaks in better.

Put steaks in a container, needs a lid, shake Adolph's, garlic salt, and Mrs. Dash on steaks.

Pour marinade into container and cover. Put into fridge for 12-24 hrs.

Then Grill...:set1_pot:

Sometimes I make more marinade and while steaks are grilling I will boil marinade and pour over noodles.

REMEMBER you can always tweak this recipe to your taste.:wink:

·
Registered
864 Posts
The Best marinade for venison steaks. 1/3 cup oil,1/3 cup soy sauce,1/3 cup cooking wine(sherry) marinate in a pan for 1-2 days and grill. Serve rare to medium-do not over cook. Simple and it is awsome.

·
Registered
397 Posts
One hint on the preparation time. If you have a Food Saver and have the container's with it that you can vacuum seal with, put the steaks or whatever cuts your marinating in the bowl, cover with marinade and vacuum seal them. Leave it for about 30 minutes to and hour before cooking. Grilled is definitely my new favorite way. Tender and juicy as long as you don't over-cook it. I still like a plate of good ol' chicken fried steaks also. I'm just not as good with that as I am grilling it. My wife loves it grilled to and she swore she HATED venison. :mg:

·
Registered
805 Posts
Grilling FYI I was told to let meat get to room temp before putting on grill, stops it from temp shock which can cause meat to shrink. Been letting meat reach room temp first since I was told this and all meats been turning out better.:)

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
STOP IT YOU GUYS ARE MAKIN; ME HUNGRY....:drool::drool:

This should have it's own forum:wink:
Seriously? You do know there is a "Wild Game Cooking" forum on this sight, don`t you? If you haven`t seen it then I highly recommend that you do. There are some incredibly good recipes on there.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have too many to list but one of my favorites is incredibly simple. Nice sized roast & a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ Sauce in a crock pot for at least 10 hours. After the meat literally falls off the bone and pulls apart like paper add more BBQ sauce and stick some of it on a good roll or bread. It's good "as is" but hot pepper rings & cheese can't hurt :D

Venison version of a pulled pork sandwich :darkbeer:

I like to make it into bbq also.Some good stuff.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I love to make deer stew in the crock pot.It is great.cook on low for about 12 hours and the meat is nice and tender.I add carrots,potatos,green beans and diced tomatoes along with stew seasoning.I add some hot sauce and creole seasoning for flavor(quite a bit of it).It is really good.

·
Registered
480 Posts
my favorite marinade is 3tablespoons each of olive oil,soy sauce,worchestire 1 teaspoon garlic salt.can also use garlic soy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts