Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting Eastman's for the last few years and I am starting to agree with a lot of guys on here. It is pretty much the same stories over and over again. I am looking for a more informative magazine and not so much ALL short stories. Any ideas?

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
Extreme Elk is great.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Read one..... you've re read them all. Same old stuff every issue.
I tend to lean in brangus's direction on this subject. If I want to be informed I generally end up in the western forum of AT. I don't get any magazine's anymore.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
I get Elk Hunter and Extreme Elk. Elk Hunter is much better IMO.

Extreme Elk is mostly reader submitted stories, I drew my coveted tag, I worked out all summer, I shot my bow every day with 2 inch groups at 100 yards, the first morning found me on the mountain waking to a symphony of bugles and I just knew this was a special time;..............................................

Elk Hunter has better feature columns/writers in every issue and also has more gear reviews and tactic articles other than reader sumbitted stories. I'm not going to renew the EE subscription.

I will say if you don't like all the stories, and I don't, you are in the minority. There was a thread over on Rokslide about magazines and just about everyone that replied likes to read hunter submitted stories and that is why they subscribe. They actually want more of them.

·
Outdoors
292 Posts
I recently picked up the Spring issue of Extreme Elk. Like another poster mentioned I too would like to see more discussion on gear, DIY advice and planning, training, etc.. With that said, Extreme Elk is the closest thing I've read recently to those wants. I prefer to read about guys in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana. No offense to the guys back east but I don't really care about the three white tails you harvested from a tree stand. I don't hunt that way so the stories about it just don't appeal to me.

I prefer to read about elk and mule deer hunts by guys going the DIY route in the backcountry. Guys who monitor their trail cams all year and have to worry about gate closures and fire danger. Stories I can relate to in the area I hunt and live in. There is some truth that once you've read one hunting magazine you've read them all and it's not worth buying them. Especially with great sites like AT that can get us more information more often than once a month. But I enjoy relaxing and thumbing through a good story out of a good publication now and again.

I just picked up the most recent issues of these magazines and plan on subscribing to them.

-Extreme Elk
-Oregon Hunter

·
<--Son's First Buck!
8,996 Posts
I get Elk Hunter and Extreme Elk. Elk Hunter is much better IMO.

Extreme Elk is mostly reader submitted stories, I drew my coveted tag, I worked out all summer, I shot my bow every day with 2 inch groups at 100 yards, the first morning found me on the mountain waking to a symphony of bugles and I just knew this was a special time;..............................................

Elk Hunter has better feature columns/writers in every issue and also has more gear reviews and tactic articles other than reader sumbitted stories. I'm not going to renew the EE subscription.

I will say if you don't like all the stories, and I don't, you are in the minority. There was a thread over on Rokslide about magazines and just about everyone that replied likes to read hunter submitted stories and that is why they subscribe. They actually want more of them.
I'm in the minority on this one too. It got to the point of just looking at the pictures in Eastmans' so I didn't renew. I like Elk Hunter for the same reasons as Mez. I also enjoy Bow & Arrow, which has a good mix of western and whitetail hunting how-to articles that an easterner like myself enjoys. Bugle is good as well...the writing is top notch IMO.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I like Western Hunter and Elk Hunter the best. They both have a good prostaff with more how to articles and reviews then either Extreme Elk or Eastmans. I'll be dropping Extreme Elk after this year as I just find I only read Aron Snyder's reviews and maybe a few other items. I pass over Cam's and I had to go back and read the conflicting ID story to understand the other thread otherwise I wouldn't have read it.

·
Banned
2,992 Posts
Anyone feel like making a list of "Western Hunting Magazines" ... I'm not sure I know them all. I borderline despise reader submitted stories; would love to find a few magazines that minimize reader submitted stuff. I usually say, " If I wanted to read about the average dude's hunt, I'd do that on a forum" but it seems like guys are so caught up in trying to publish their story in a magazine that they won't even talk about stuff in a forum!

·
The Western Triangle
2,231 Posts
Huntin Fool

·
Outdoors
292 Posts
Seems like a lot of people are fans of Elk Hunter. I need to look into this one.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Anyone feel like making a list of "Western Hunting Magazines" ... I'm not sure I know them all. I borderline despise reader submitted stories; would love to find a few magazines that minimize reader submitted stuff. I usually say, " If I wanted to read about the average dude's hunt, I'd do that on a forum" but it seems like guys are so caught up in trying to publish their story in a magazine that they won't even talk about stuff in a forum!
You would like Elk Hunter and Western Hunter, O got both with a 2year sub each for a total of $39.99.

·
<--Son's First Buck!
8,996 Posts
Elk Hunter with Nate Simmons is great- dropped Extreme elk, Eastmans
Speaking of Nate Simmons...I caught the repeat of his two part ID elk hunt. That was an unbelievable shot he threaded. 60 yards...quartering away and in some thick stuff.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts