Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using fawn distress call in late season? I still have a few days left in my season and have a doe tag left. Was gonna give it a try but didn't know if it would work or not.
I also have a fawn decoy, but didn't know if that would work either. I know I should just try it and see the results. But would like some opinions. I feel like the decoy might make them a bit suspicious and nervous.
Feedback?

·
Catty Shack
12,410 Posts
Not in late season but I have a fawn distress on my ecaller and in early season I had a doe towing another fawn come running in looking directly at where the sound came from.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've "called in" a lot of does while using a fawn in distress caller for coyotes. Unfortunately, in my experience, they tend to hold back out of bow range ( 75-100 yds). They stand, look and stomp. I guess the are trying to scare off the unseen predators.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Had great luck with it just last weekend on whitetail does. We made 3 sets and killed 4 does. The furthest shot was 50 yards and the closest was 10! We all had rifles since it was the last weekend to hunt, but it sure was cool seeing those does rush in to check out the "fawn in distress"! We were in river bottoms near cattle feeding areas that we knew had large numbers of deer, I think that is key when trying to call them. I think they are a little more "brave" when there are a lot of other deer around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts