Archery Talk Forum banner

Would you shoot a fawn that still had spots?

• Pick a spot and let the arrow fly.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Wait and let her grow.

Votes: 227 83.8%
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it was legal (meaning that you have an antlerless or any deer tag), would you shoot a doe fawn that still had its spots? I had a good sized fawn come in and bed down 20 feet from my stand a couple nights ago - didn't shoot because I was too busy watching her, and then she was up and gone. What do you think - yes or no?

Jason

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I say let one fly. Be some good eatin. I shot a calf elk couple years ago, man was that yummy.

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
I wouldn't....just me....not saying I wouldn't shoot one just as big with no spots.....:wink:

·
Registered
14,717 Posts
I shot one with a rifle one time on a crop damage permit, heads sticking out of the grass and i thought it was a shooter (lol). We put the whole thing on the grill, Thats the best deer meat i ever had.

I wouldn't shoot one if i saw spots in season but if its legal you can't say theres anything wrong with it....skin it and the spots are gone...:)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Finally have to say something

I have read the lengthy posts on the doe fawn and button buck this weekend and have resereved comments figuring to each his own and recognizing that sometimes misidentificationcan take place in the heat of the moment but -C'mon a spotted fawn????:mad: :mad: :mad:
Isn't the idea of bowhunting to get close to a wary game animal and harvest them humanely in their environment?? I don't know where you hunt but I would not call a spotted fawn savvy or woods wise!!And please spare me the homily about how you are going to eat it. If you need 20 lbs of meat that bad I will send it to you:wink: . This is a politically sensitive time with our rights attacked frequently by anti-hunters. Shooting 30-40# deer will do little to garner support from voters and landowners without strong convictions either way.
And stop saying that they get hit by cars or predated on by wolves and coyotes anyway. Drivers don't choose to hit deer BUT you do choose to shoot them (this decision is what makes you a hunter not an animal) Finally if you are going to compare your meat needs to that of a wild animal you have some serious thought disorders.

Please enjoy your seasons and be safe but exercise ethics and understand that killing something is not the definition of a hunter. A hunter is defined by skill and respect for the animal they are hunting. For me shooting babies does not fit into this definition:darkbeer:

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Come on guys...everybody knows that the #1 rule in bowhunting is to " pick A spot" :RockOn:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Depends on the situation........if this deer appeared to be in bad shape and not going to make it through the winter then I would go ahead and put it out of its misery. If it is with a doe then I would let them both walk.

I have no doubt it would be the best meat ever, but I always try to do what is best for the herd and If I find sick or wounded animals I will dispatch them every time.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I have never and don't think I would but i have shot plenty of small doe that have just lost their spots. In the area I hunt the deer are about 70 per square mile and the landowners are BEGGING that we take any deer we can. We have unlimited doe tags for this reason. By that theory, we are trying to apease the public by reducing the herd and a young doe has the potential to produce more offspring than an adult. That is because it will have more birthing years left.
Either way I don't see the problem if someone wants to do that. As long as the shot is true and it dies quickly, there is nothing unethical about it. They are all meat on the inside.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Nah but I'd be watching for mom!:tongue:

·
Registered
106 Posts
northwoods said:
I have read the lengthy posts on the doe fawn and button buck this weekend and have resereved comments figuring to each his own and recognizing that sometimes misidentificationcan take place in the heat of the moment but -C'mon a spotted fawn????:mad: :mad: :mad:
Isn't the idea of bowhunting to get close to a wary game animal and harvest them humanely in their environment?? I don't know where you hunt but I would not call a spotted fawn savvy or woods wise!!And please spare me the homily about how you are going to eat it. If you need 20 lbs of meat that bad I will send it to you:wink: . This is a politically sensitive time with our rights attacked frequently by anti-hunters. Shooting 30-40# deer will do little to garner support from voters and landowners without strong convictions either way.
And stop saying that they get hit by cars or predated on by wolves and coyotes anyway. Drivers don't choose to hit deer BUT you do choose to shoot them (this decision is what makes you a hunter not an animal) Finally if you are going to compare your meat needs to that of a wild animal you have some serious thought disorders.

Please enjoy your seasons and be safe but exercise ethics and understand that killing something is not the definition of a hunter. A hunter is defined by skill and respect for the animal they are hunting. For me shooting babies does not fit into this definition:darkbeer:
I strongly agree with you, i like the "Please enjoy your seasons and be safe but exercise ethics and understand that killing something is not the definition of a hunter. A hunter is defined by skill and respect for the animal they are hunting. For me shooting babies does not fit into this definition". Must be a Michigan thing LOL, i got beat up on the Button buck down thread expressing me thoughts about the size of the deer he killed. But like you said, to each his own.

·
Registered
956 Posts
All I can say is , Fire up the grill

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Nope....I don't shoot fawns. Just the way I was brought up I guess.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Damned if ya do, and damned if ya dont. For me i would shoot them w/ a camera.There just to dang cute for me to wack! i guess iam a little soft harded.P.S.: Let them grow up a little they got a lot to learn yet. Crazy Wolf!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts