Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Anything goes

Votes: 12 42.9%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There was much discussion at Nationals this year in regards to the FCA's present dress code. If you are an active archer in Canada who has, or will take part in Canadian National Target competitions, please take a moment to respond.

Option 1: Present Rule:
3.1.18.9 On the Target range, during Official Practice and during the tournament, except in the case of inclement weather, all athletes will wear white, red or black bottoms (pants, shorts, skirt, etc.) and a predominantly white shirt or a provincial team shirt. All athletes wearing a province's team shirt will wear similar provincial team shirts.
For the full rule, see: http://www.e-bizinus.com/fca/rules/findrules.htm rule 3.1.18

Option 2:Modified Present Rule:
3.1.18.9 On the Target range, during Official Practice and during the tournament, except in the case of inclement weather, all athletes will wear white, red, blue, khaki or black bottoms (pants, shorts, skirt, etc.) Shirts must not display any offensive words, slogans, images.

Option 3:Anything Goes

·
Registered
102 Posts
I really hope nobody wears Daisy Dukes. I think we should still have some kind of control on what is worn on the Fita field.

·
Don't Tread On Anyone
1,473 Posts
Daisy Dukes don't bother me, but I've seen Speedos on the shooting line and I did not like that at all. So option #2 is reasonable.

It's been a long time since I shot in Canada (all whites only back then,) so I'm surprised to hear the current dress code is still so picky.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I am for anything goes. After all it is an archery shoot not a fashion show. Those that know better will get a light coloured shirt ASAP or die from heat the heat.

·
Registered
318 Posts

i agree with Rich, there still needs to be some control and with this option we have more reasonable in colours then to buy white shorts for shooting only

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
a few years ago had a judge in edm say my shorts were not finger tip length( they were longer but ok:rolleyes: ) at the same shoot there was a girl shooting in dasiy dukes. now she filled them out very well, and no one said anything. Thinks that make you go hum:wink: :tongue::wink:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I also like option number 2 we do have to have some control over the shooting lines apearance, but does it really matter what we think its all up to the people that dont even shoot!!

just my 2 cents

kco300

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like #4 this would be:

3.1.18.9 On the Target range, during Official Practice and during the tournament, except in the case of inclement weather, all athletes will wear white, red or black bottoms (pants, shorts, skirt, etc.) and a predominantly white shirt or a provincial team shirt. All sponsored athletes may wear recognized bow company shirts with sub sponsored logos or writing.

This will help in many areas but mostly, by still keeping control of the dignity of the sport.

It will make it more likely for sponsors to invest in Canadian archers and their events.

In the latter it will help separate the pros in re-curve and compound, as it were, from the rest of the field. Most Olympic or World shooters are sponsored which the general public and the companies are interested in.

It will still give the media pleasing and interesting photo and TV shots of a dignified sport as in other sports we now see on TV and in the news.

I have researched this from many top archers, companies, and mostly the media from both paper and TV and found this to be what they want and the easiest to promote and sell.

In Canada this is more or less one half re-curve, an Olympic sport and one half compound, a World Championship sport where the public is actually interested. It’s pretty hard on promoting our Olympic archers when we are all dressed in halter tops, Daisy Dukes, Speedos or camo. This includes both disciplines where we would be just dressed like Joes, who would look more like they are probably just practicing to hunt and not targeting for the Worlds or the Olympics or even competing in a major event.

In Canada we need to promote archery in any way we can.

#1 was too restrictive (but I admit I did sell more photos, for example, of a field dressed in white taken 4 years ago at the Canada Cup).

#2 with different shirts of all kinds what is the point of still having the proper bottoms when most are looking at the archer waist up except at Daisy Dukes or Speedos (boy would I look good in a Speedo). It’s just a feel good way of saying we have a code.

Now especially #3 where we would be dressing to just please ourselves not caring or helping to promote archery at all, which to me is out of the question. (sometimes it's not up to the archers but up to the sponsors and the public on how we look)

So my choice is #4. I have listened and have promoted archery by showing pictures where I controlled the shot by taking or editing pictures with the #4 rule. It has worked so I am sure this is the best. I am planning to try and work hard to help the Interlake Archers and ABAM to get the Canada Cup 07 (still in the air) and the Canadian Nationals 08 on TV and in print (right Bob, Rich and others) with the, hopefully, help of all of you.

Look Great, Feel Great, Shoot Great, and everyone is Happy!

Hopefully I was not rambling…Ok I was rambling but I think I made my point, I hope.

Tim

·
Registered
184 Posts
I like Timbo's idea the most.

Dress code should be "semi-casual".
Be comfortable but some what professional as well.
You'r almost there under the current rule now, but sponsor shirts should be allowed.

Maybe, one day, I'll be able to experience the shoot for myself and then give a better opinion.

my 1.5 cents

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I know this would add another option or a variation of all the above but I would like to have some kind of control as in #2 with the addition to sponsored shirts.

I like #2 because it gives more options when it comes to the color of your pants, that way the judges won't be picking on me about the color of my shorts because they don't match the rest of the team:wink:

The addition to the sponsored shirts is a no brainer either....

So basically what Timbo is saying plus adding the color Navy/Blue and Khaki to the color of pants.

Cheers,

·
Registered
279 Posts
Good discusions,

If we are talking about dress code as far as nationls or any other major event whereby there maybe a media oppourtunity I believe some sort of dress code should be considered.

Professional attire such as team uniforms, slacks, shorts and skirts of reasonable lenght , No denim , and any shirt in good taste( no profanity) and no wife beaters etc.

I would think we as archers would be proud to see everyone on a field looking professional and if there was a picture to make it into a newspaper it would be nice to see a professional and not someone dressed like a hillbilly.

it should be simply, affordable and at least clear to both archers and judges.
There is no need to have an archer harassed over a small detail in clothing .

AS far as sponsorship shirts , wear them if you want , at least for the most part they look professional.

Travis

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Now simply because I am a Dumb ******* from the west and not a lemming no-one will listen to me anyway .... I like Tims Idea ...but I dont believe the shirt should be limited to "reconized bow companies" . When I am on the line I sometimes wear a golf shirt of an airline, Or a shirt of another manufacturere that doesnt manufacture bows .... .... Example ... Easton... a Big player in the game, Why cant an athelete wear the colors of his or her home shop .... or home club

why re-invent wheel here ..... there are several other national orgazations out there with a dress code... one that sticks out in my mind is the YBC (Youth Bowling Council) for which I am a certified coach for.

All shirts must have sleeves and collars(ie: golf shirt or Traditional bowling shirt etc...ya'll get the idea ) , leggings must not be Blue jean type and in case of shorts or skirts they must be hemmed and cut no higher than 4 Cms (1.5 inches) above the knee.

These rules are enforced for the National championships tournament ... Zones , Provincials and Nationals

·
Registered
186 Posts
Here's my take. Current rules on pants, except add in kakhi. As for the shirt, it could be team uniform, sponser, club, as long as there is nothing offensive. I think mostly white if not classified as above is a good idea as it provides a uniform look for the feild, but it seems that that idea is opposed by most.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
j_man1100 said:
, as long as there is nothing offensive. .
Define Offensive ..Vulgarity is obvious .... but for example several Hunting type shirts some class as offensive ....

"Take only Trophies ...leave only Gut Piles"
"Death from Above"
"Bad to the Bone"

None of those offend me ...but they might offend you

the list of sayings goes on and on ......

I'll be Damned if I am gonna leave a statement like that potentionally open to interpretation by some extreme left wing liberal judge.

When I move to Prince George in 4 weeks and become a member of the Silvertip club and their logo is a Grizzly bear and I attend a FITA event ...is some liberal gonna get offended when I wear my clubs colors ...Probally not ...but it could happen ......

my point is do not leave anything open to intepretation .....write it down .... in black and white

1 - 15 of 15 Posts