Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting the recurve with vanes on my arrow, and I couldn't figure out why the arrows were flying like the bow was way out of tune, but now looking at it, the vanes rub on the riser of the bow, does this mean its throwing the arrow off? Should I use feathers so they fold back on the riser not messing up the trajectory? Or do you think its another problem like to light of arrows (i'm shooting carbons.)

· Registered
22,135 Posts
Oregonian -

You didn't mention if you were shooting of the shelf or a rest.

With a decent rest and A PROPERLY tuned bow, vanes should be fine. Shooting of the shelf doesn't give you as much clearance and that might be a problem. Also, if the arrows are or are acting stiff, they won't flex enough to clear the riser.

Feathers might solve the symptom, but maybe not the real problem.

A little more info on the bow and arrow specs might help us point you in the right direction.

Viper1 out.

· Registered
3,008 Posts
I've toyed with shooting vanes off the shelf and it's more work than it's worth, IMHO. Vanes shoot well off an arrow rest. I prefer feathers off the shelf or rest until it rains, at which time I prefer vanes, LOL. Actually, I got into bareshaft testing in response to how poorly my arrows flew when the fletching was matted flat.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
feathers

As long as we are talking feathers, how come I see only 5in feathers generally in trad. I think it would be nice to see a trad arrow with a 2 in feather. I would guess it's because it does cover up some tuning issues, but does it also hide a less than perfect release?- Steve

· Registered
1,117 Posts
As long as we are talking feathers, how come I see only 5in feathers generally in trad. I think it would be nice to see a trad arrow with a 2 in feather. I would guess it's because it does cover up some tuning issues, but does it also hide a less than perfect release?- Steve
Actually I shoot 3" when shooting carbons from my recurve. However, I do shoot 4-5" feathers on my woodies, they look funny with 3".

· Registered
1,018 Posts
Feathers

Will 4" feathers with a full twist fly better then a 2 degee twist. I'm looking at a recurve bow. I have 4 arrows with 4" feathers with full twist. I'm shooting a 24" draw at 30# pull with a light carbon arrow with a 85gr. tip.

· Registered
2,119 Posts
I shoot Rayzar feathers on everything now,,,I think their 2 inches.:thumbs_up

· Registered
3,008 Posts
Jack, how are the quill bases? I used Gateway a long time ago and found the bases to be a little sloppy.

· Registered
2 Posts
Same question, similar problem...

I used to shoot feathers (on carbons) and now I'm shooting vanes, but I can't tell what is throwing their flight funky...shooting off a fall away rest on a compound bow, I don't know if I'm in the right chat area yet for the correct feedback, but it seems that the vanes are rubbing on the rest placement as they leave my bow. Just curious if feathers would be better.

· Registered
133 Posts
im just a noob att his but maybe make sure they all oriented the same way witht he same twist? i got twistable nocks on my current arrows and had to fiddle with em a lot to get ema ll oriented the same way. but im prolly doing that wrong too just a thought.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
yep

Whitelightning-Wrong forum, but fall aways have to be adjusted.. Could be a tuning issues with you bow, check your rest clearance by putting some lipstick on you vanes and see if it's clearing without taking any it off. If it is, sell it and buy a trad bow-lol- Steve

· Registered
1,285 Posts
I don't think a 2" feathered arrow would shoot a 190 grain, 3" long Grizzly El Grande hunting broadhead very well if at all.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
That would seem like a waste of steel really,,,,but I guess there's no accounting for taste huh.
Try the goading tactic with someone else. BTW, congratulations are in order. You're the first one on my "Ignore List". I hope you're the only one I ever have to put on it.

US: 1
Kiwi: 0

· Registered
76,880 Posts
Feathers n' Vanes.....

Feathers, in my humble estimation, are superior to vanes in all but the weather... rainy weather anyway, as I've been told that feathers are better in the cold... but I've no experience in the cold with anything.

Feathers shoot any arrow as far as I know, off of any type of shelf or rest. Vanes will shoot any arrow off of any rest. I've tried shooting vanes off a shelf as was suggested by raising the nock but all that did allow for erratic shots that hit higher than normal for the most part when I expected them to hit low...

Feathers are durable, much more so than people give them credit for. I find that feathers are very stable when damaged even or with missing feather pieces. There is little to complain about with feathers.

Noise. I'm sure that the argument that feathers are noisier than vanes probably has merit, but I'm not sure I'm ready to concede that it means anything in the scheme of things in the field.

Feathers are just really neat too.

Much Aloha .... :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.