Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I shoot trad vanes 4-fletch off the shelf but am thinking of switching back to feathers. Trad vanes shoot great but the top right vane is cutting a groove into my strike plate that I'm not wild about.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
I may just switch everything over to trad vanes, they shoot just as well off the shelf as feathers and I know there will be 10 days in September that I will regret having feathers if I go that route, for hunting on the coast, trad vanes are all around a better mouse trap... quieter in the brush as well

·
Registered
477 Posts
I’ve been really interested in Trad vanes. But I get mixed reviews.

Most written reviews, like on 3 Rivers or Lancasters are usually 4+ stars out of 5, but most of the video reviews on YouTube aren’t very good. The trad vanes typically tear up pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
I’ve been really interested in Trad vanes. But I get mixed reviews.

Most written reviews, like on 3 Rivers or Lancasters are usually 4+ stars out of 5, but most of the video reviews on YouTube aren’t very good. The trad vanes typically tear up pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
feathers are certainly more durable. if you shoot groups you will tear up trad vanes. just shooting they are fine... i assume i will tear them up stump shooting.

pros outweigh the cons for me, i'll just have enough fletched up on hand, and will probably have feathers on my stump shooting arrows. with a wrap i can take the fletchings off, clean the shaft, put on a new wrap, and re-fletch in just a few minutes, it's not a real big deal to me.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I may just switch everything over to trad vanes, they shoot just as well off the shelf as feathers and I know there will be 10 days in September that I will regret having feathers if I go that route, for hunting on the coast, trad vanes are all around a better mouse trap... quieter in the brush as well View attachment 7376171 View attachment 7376170
Those look great with the orange wraps. Nice job

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I tried the Trad vanes and didn't notice any flight difference put to 30 yards. What I did find was that they are more prone to damage. Once nicked or torn, flight was worse.
I don't hut in the rain for fear of loosing blood trail. But I do apply waterproofing for dry flies and it does real well for the season to keep then from getting wet due to contact with wet brush after a rain or heavy dew.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fletch trad vanes with g5 blu glue. Prep arrow and vane with denatured alcohol. Can't rip them off if you tried!

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,249 Posts
I use what I need for the purpose. Each fletch type had advantages and disadvantages. For simple applications, like shooting 20 yards and in, anything will work. Add more complexity, such as longer distances, wet weather, stringwalking, etc. and you will need to be more selective. Lately I have gone between 2 1/2 inch feathers and spin wings. I have been shooting feathers to get a bit more forgiveness stringwalking, but will likely go back to spin wings since the feathers are resulting in a lot of drag that causes my arrows to drop faster at longer distances. When I was shooting target I used vanes unless I wanted to slow down my arrows with feathers to reduce my point-on. Also, I shoot off a rest unless using my competition longbow and wood arrows. Traditional longbow shooting glasses required feathers. I use what the rules specify.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts