Archery Talk Forum banner

Feathers or Vanes

• Feathers

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • Vanes

Votes: 64 57.1%

Feathers or Vanes

1489 26
Feathers or Vanes? What do you shoot and why?
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
8,034 Posts
Both!

Feathers indoors - great rest clearance and don't have to worry about drag or rain.

Flex-Fletch Vanes outdoors - I think they are the best vanes made! You can shoot them through a bail and they don't wrinkle, they have thin, consistent bases and they STICK!! :smile:

· Registered
5 Posts
Feathers

I've tried to shoot vanes off the shelf, even bought the high speed vanes supposedly made for recurves. None work well. I have a raised shelf but still can't get the clearance I need so I shoot feathers and then spray them with Camp Dry to help on wet days. I'll never go back to vanes.

· Registered
3,555 Posts
Feathers are lighter than vanes; make an overall lighter (faster) arrow. All things equal, FOC will be higher with feathers. Must be waterprofed and noisy compared to vanes (applies to hunting).

Blazers are water proof, quieter in flight and if you accidentally touch them.

I'm using Blazers (currently).

· Registered
915 Posts
i can't vote !!!! :thumbs_do ..........

i use vanes ( 2"blazer)for compound and feathers (5"shields)for recurve and longbow ....................:wink:

· Registered
6,473 Posts
Feathers may be quicker through the chrony, but they are not quicker down range. Vanes hold their speed down range better than feathers. For 3D and outdoor shooting I use vanes, but for indoor spots I use feathers.

Automan

· Registered
5,465 Posts
I switched back to feathers, Gateway Rayzr feathers because they weigh 1/3 what a comparable vane does, they steer a broadhead just as well, they look cool, and they are more forgiving if they brush against a tree branch.

· Registered
68 Posts
vanes for compounds, feathers are the past.

· Registered
1,836 Posts
Both but I voted feathers because I use them most.
(3) 4 inch feathers for spots
(3) 2.25 inch feathers for 3D
(3) 3 inch vanes for hunting.

· Registered
36,987 Posts
4" feathers for hunting & targets

faster , lighter ,controls my broadheads great & look good

· Registered
1,775 Posts
Feathers rule!

Well I'll just say this, I wouldn't have a stinkin cheap plastic vane on my arrows even if someone paid me to do it! Feathers are far superior to vanes in every aspect. I've said it once or a hundred times and I'll say it again, If vanes are so great then why didn't God put them on birds? I mean I've never seen any kind of waterfowl flying around with vanes on them and water doesn't seem to be a problem for the birds either. I mean seriously, think about it. You will NEVER ever in a million years see vanes on my arrows, period, end of story. O.K. I'm done now, all you vane lovers can flame away.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.