Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are your arrow setups please for hunting. are you shooting 2'' 3'' 4'' 5'' and 3 or 4 fletched, and how far from nock is the back of the feather. is there a brand that has proven better than others, or you just like one over the other. straight fletched ? I am wanting to try them this year so just getting your input. thanks everyone.

·
Registered
51,134 Posts
Truflight feathers, 4" full left helical, 3 fletch. From the nock no different than a plastic vane.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
I use 4" left wing for my compound, full helical on my Bitz. The distance from the back of the feather to the bottom of the nock groove is 1.25".

In my opinion the best feathers are real, natural gray barred turkey feathers. They last a lot longer and hold up to moisture a lot better than the usual bleached and dyed domestic turkey feathers. They are more expensive though, unless you grind and chop your own from your own birds.

The only downside is they are not as easy to see in flight as some colors or white.

·
Distance hole puncher
1,978 Posts
Four 2.5-inch Trueflight parabolic @ 75* and 105* neither offset nor helical.

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
3 x 4'' Gateways, right wing helical, 1/2'' from end of carbon for compound.
Same but 3/4'' for recurve.

Kev

·
Registered
11,590 Posts
used many over my 59 years in archery/bowhunting. I prefer a 4", 3 fletch. I've used TruFlite & Gateway but recently purchased some Bullseye 4" Die cuts from ebay for $29.95 per 100. I am well pleased with their Cut & base. I prefer a straight slight offset of about 2 degrees. I'm only about a 1/2" from the nock. I've taken a wide variety of biggame with feathers (mostly 4") & 1/3 with 4 fletch I'm guessing & 125gr 3 blade fixed head.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I use Gateway RW Parabolic 4" with 100gr Thunderheads with excellent results. I fletch them about 1/2" from the end of the shaft. I have always used feathers from the beginning which has been about 30yrs and started out with 5" and 125gr Razorbacks.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I use 4" left wing for my compound, full helical on my Bitz. The distance from the back of the feather to the bottom of the nock groove is 1.25".

In my opinion the best feathers are real, natural gray barred turkey feathers. They last a lot longer and hold up to moisture a lot better than the usual bleached and dyed domestic turkey feathers. They are more expensive though, unless you grind and chop your own from your own birds.

The only downside is they are not as easy to see in flight as some colors or white.
I readily agree that feathers from a wild bird are far superior to the domestic kind.

If you want to try something even better, get them from wild geese before they migrate. They shed water like, well, from a goose's back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts