Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some old guy help...

I want to fletch some feathered arrows and kinda go au naturale...

Can you use "wild" feathers and if so, what kind work the best?

I know...just go buy them...but that's not the point.

· Registered
65 Posts
I knew a guy who could make them out of the wing feithers of a wild turkey. All hand made. They were great, pain in the *** to glue. I lost contact with him years ago

· Hucklebuck’s
14,545 Posts
turkey is all i ever heard of useing i just use gateway but i think you need a special cutter and all to make your own. I always thought Duck wing feathers would look cool with the iradesent collors but i don't think they would be stiff enough :noidea: for sure

· Registered
7,265 Posts
Turkey is good, but

goose is too. Either will work. Most others (chicken, and such) will probably be too small. Just be aware that owl, hawk and such are illegal to posses. Unless you are Native American.

Split them, dress the base, glue, and enjoy.

· Registered
2,159 Posts
Here is what I do and they come out perfect.Take the primary wing feathers from the appropriate wing you plan to use(left or right)and split them down the middle with a razor knife.Split them from the inside of the feather and follow the crease in the quill.Once I have the splitting done,I trim the feather from each end so that I have the middle portion of the feather left.This is usually the highest point of the oil line of the feather also.You can see the oil line by holding the feather up to a light source.The oil line gives the feather its stiffness.Once I'm at this point I take a striaght fletching clamp and place the feather into it.Once the feather is in the clamp I get some 220 grit sand paper and begin sanding the quill down to the right thickness.The clamp makes holding the feather a heck of alot easier and keeps the quill striaght while sanding.The sanding takes no time at all and you can gauge the proper thickness of the quill you want by comparing it to a factory ground feather.Once the feather is ground down,I then take and cut the feather to the desired shape and length by using a tool made by "Little Chopper".Put the feather in the chopper,smack it and out pops a perfect feather .You can get the Little Choppers at Three Rivers Archery.

Here is what one of my arrows looks like with a 3 inch left helical shield cut turkey feather.

· Registered
2,652 Posts
One note, use only right wing or left wing on an arrow. The feathers have an oppisite form and will not mix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.