Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of switching from vanes to 4" feathers. I have a Bitz to fletch with. I'm going to go with a right helical fletch. Do you feather guys just use glue and fletch them up like vanes or is there something else I need to be aware of?

· Registered
1,664 Posts
Yep, no different than vanes. You may want to get some of the powder that makes them shed water, I can't remember the name of it but Bohning is the manufacturer.

· Registered
36,987 Posts
Glue them just like you did your vanes , a little glue goes a long way ..

· Registered
388 Posts
just make sure your feathers and your clamp have the same twist(helical) right or left
with vanes you can use whatever clamp you wish
YOU WILL NEED RIGHT WING FEATHERS!

Very important.

· Registered
3,016 Posts
I liked them other than they were not as durable as vanes, but very forgiving. Some of the long time traditianal guys at our club said silicone spray will also work to keep them dry.

· Registered
2,718 Posts
I made the switch from vanes to feathers about 8 years ago, and never looked back. I shoot both 4" feathers and the 2" Rayzr feathers.
You must try Bohning Fletching Tape instead of glue. The tape is fast, and there's no mess from glue. You don't have to wait for anything to dry, and the tape is just as strong as any glue out there. I have been using it for more than a year now. No more fletching with glue for me.

· Registered
690 Posts
I made the switch from vanes to feathers about 8 years ago, and never looked back. I shoot both 4" feathers and the 2" Rayzr feathers.
You must try Bohning Fletching Tape instead of glue. The tape is fast, and there's no mess from glue. You don't have to wait for anything to dry, and the tape is just as strong as any glue out there. I have been using it for more than a year now. No more fletching with glue for me.
How difficult is it to use the tape? Do you still put a drop of glue at the ends of the fletch?

· Registered
2,070 Posts
I love fletch tape instead of glue for feathers. Very easy and fast, I do put a drop of glue on the end just to help but it is not needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.