Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is better putting your money into....A Feeder with Automatic Timer.....A food plot...just dumping corn on the ground.....mineral block. I hunt about 30 wooded acres in North Central Indiana. 4 other hunters hunt in another 25 wooded acres that touch my ground. We have a ton of deer but I want to make sure deer stay closer to my property. Keep in mind also that in Indiana you can hunt a feeder during season. Whats my best option?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I like food plots.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
What is better putting your money into....A Feeder with Automatic Timer.....A food plot...just dumping corn on the ground.....mineral block. I hunt about 30 wooded acres in North Central Indiana. 4 other hunters hunt in another 25 wooded acres that touch my ground. We have a ton of deer but I want to make sure deer stay closer to my property. Keep in mind also that in Indiana you can hunt a feeder during season. Whats my best option?
It kind of depends, if you can do it "all" year round that would be best...food plots are better for the deer than corn feeders are, but they love the corn. Here in GA, I put in food plots on a hay field, and then set up gravity feed protien feeders in the spring, switching to corn in the summer...and also put out some mineral scrapes...mix it up and pour it on the ground.

We can't hunt over bait, so I have to remove the feeders before the season, 14 days actually.

I would NOT just dump corn or protien pellets on the ground unless they are eaten very very quickly as they will rot and mold. Need to use a feeder.

I bought all my feeders off of Wal-Mart.com...cheap...if they die or break, just buy a new one...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts