Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching OLN last night and saw Mike Hanback's new show. He came out against Sunday hunting saying it was a tradition in Virginia and should never be changed. He said that it gives the landowners a break, the deer a day of rest...blah blah blah....
I used to live in VA and moved partly because I couldn't hunt on Sundays. A day of rest? What about the 5 days of the week when most of us are working. It's easy for someone like Mike to stand there and say animals need a break. he doesn't work the same hours most of us do. He hunts on those days when we are not in the woods. Maybe they should disallow him from hunting during the week...Maybe he'd change his tone.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Then Hanback says that the majority of hunters prefer no Sunday hunting. BS!! I live on the NY/PA border and I have never met a PA hunter who didn't want Sunday hunting in their state. NY sells a lot of hunting licences to PA hunters because they want to come over here and hunt on Sundays. It's an archaic law and needs to be changed pronto! There is nothing I enjoy more than hunting on Sunday mornings and then watch my Buffalo Bills lose another game and then get back out for a late afternoon hunt. That's what makes Sundays such a great day! :)

·
Bow Bender
6,304 Posts
I was born and raised in Va and have never had a problem with not being able to hunt on Sundays. As a matter of fact every time I hunt in a state which allows it, I almost feel as if I am doing something illegal. I work hard during the week like all you guys. But I have never felt as if I was short changed by not being able to hunt on Sundays. And most people that live here and were born and raised here don't mind not being able to hunt Sundays. Most of the people that don't like it come from out of state to begin with. If you don't like it, go back home! I'm content with the laws the way they are right now.

·
Team #28
5,828 Posts
I also call BS on Hanbach saying most prefer to have no Sunday hunting. Actually quite the opposite is true, at the latest poll at an outdoor meeting 90% of people wanted Sunday hunting.

The biggest problem in Virginia is the vadeer.com group that are VERY strong advocates of deer chasing (not hunting) with dogs. This group is worried that if Sunday hunting is allowed it may affect the dog rules.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I know quite a few people in 'no sunday hunting land' that could care less if they ever see sunday hunting. I am one of them. I'm not against it, but I don't think I would partake in it. I've never had an issue with it, even when I was working sixty hours a week. I have always looked at it as a day off, for me, deer, whatever, and a chance to watch a little motorcycle racing and of course football. I won't vote against it, but I'm not voting for it either.

·
74,535 Posts
I garantee I would hate it

Just not fair to the working man. :mad: I cant imigine in these times no hunting on Sunday.:confused:

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I can't stand states that have laws like that. If you don't' want to hunt on Sunday, fine. Don't tell others what days of the week they can hunt. To me its about as dumb as making a law saying that everyone has to wear a Yakima on Mondays. :kev: How about we stop hunting on Saturday too, gotta give some love to the Seventh Day Adventists ya know . . . :confused:

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
I live for Hunting and I reside in VA and I couldn't care less about Sunday Hunting, Church, Family that's what I'm doing on Sunday even if it was legal I wouldn't participate.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yup... I agree wholeheartedly. I'm one of the leading advocates towards Sunday Hunting. You've probably read about me in some Virginia newspapers. I didn't get to see Mike Hanback's show on "Only Lance Network", 'cause I didn't know it was on and/or didn't even know about it. It's just as well.

There are people so blinded and set in their ways that they REFUSE to see the benefits of allowing Sunday hunting. The additional revenue generated would be a huge win/win for the state and the hunters.

If you stumble upon the username "ButchA" - trust me - it's me. I use that name on dozens of sites, such as vadeer.com, huntingnet.com, refugeforums.com, etc...

Butch A.

·
Registered
161 Posts
sunday hunting

we arn't allowed to hunt on sundays in new brunswick canada neither not sure if any of the other provinces do or not but i dont think so.i dont see the big deal open it up and if you don't want to hunt stay home no problem

·
Registered
128 Posts
That would basically cut my entire season in half. Just because you have church, family, football etc.. doesn't mean I do. It's not fair the guy that works all weekend with Mon/Tues off gets to hunt his two days and I get only one since I work a normal Mon-Fri work week. A day of rest, give me a break. I hunt private land, the deer already have Mon-Fri to rest. I might buy it on public land, but not Sat/Sun day when those are the only days most have off.

·
Registered
372 Posts
No Hunting on Sunday? When has that started? People hunt for parking spots at the resturant, they hunt for parking at wal-mart, they hunt for a good fishing spot, they hunt for parking at the golf course, they hunt for parking at the ball games or races, everybody wakes up hunting for one thing or another but I cant go hunt a deer?! Please!!! :pS: I've been none to slip in really really early on sundays, I never have seen a deer getting ready for church. I hunt in VA and NC and they both should permit sunday hunting.Thanks:zip:

·
Registered
372 Posts
One last thing. The best I can figure is that deer have no worries for 8 to 9 months. Then most people hunt maybe one or two evenings a week then maybe all day saturday. I havent got the numbers yet but I bet if you figured total hours hunted verse total hours not hunted it would be in (just day light hours for all you road hunting ********) the 85 to 90 percent of a deers life its not hunted. So what would adding 12-16 days a year really hurt? Some of these people need to get off their high horse and look at the whole picture. And they call themselves hunters? Thats kinda funny! Thanks again.:zip:

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
Hunt on Sunday

I've lived in Va. for 30 years now and wouldn't want hunting on Sunday. For me I need a break as well, its nice to have "a day of rest" to do things with your family (church, meals, play) that need to be done that might not be done if I was in the woods all day. I own a farm as well and wouldn't want to be sitting on my back deck on a Sunday afternoon hearing 4 wheelers and dogs running all afternoon.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Do a google search on Virginia Sunday hunting and see what comes up!!!! Better yet..... Take a look at some of my antics in the newspapers and various websites!

http://www.roanoke.com/outdoors/billcochran/wb/78464

http://www.roanoke.com/outdoors/billcochran/wb/79426

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servle...ticle&cid=1149190074686&path=!sports!outdoors

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servle...ticle&cid=1149190129660&path=!sports!outdoors

http://vadeer.proboards42.com/index.cgi?board=issues

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=463857

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=461224

I am going to do whatever I can to make my voice heard and get my name into the papers regarding the ban on Sunday hunting. To me it is utterly ridiculous and rather asinine that a man working hard M-F normally only gets one day to hunt (Saturday). :mmph:

I have also put in a phone call to Senator Stolle (R - VA Beach) who has sponsored a few Senate bills regarding Sunday hunting. I am going to ask him opinion and/or advice on what step to take next.

Virginia needs to wake up and realize how much additional revenue could be generated by including Sunday hunting. I know a few out-of-state hunters nearby, who have told me flat out "I won't hunt in Virginia until they get Sunday hunting".

Butch A.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have lived in Virginia my whole life and really don't have a problem with no Sunday hunting. If they changed the law that would be fine too. People make it out to be such a big deal when it really isn't. If you want to hunt more, schedule some vacation time during the season.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Eyedoc, You are very wrong about VaDeer.com, and the role we are playing in the push to get Sunday hunting legalized in VA.
I believe you have us confused with the Virginia Deer Hunters Association, which appears to be led by a group of avid dog hunters, and who would like everyone to believe that they represent the majority of deer hunters in VA.

We are staunch advocates of legalizing Sunday hunting, and have been making a massive effort to get the correct information out to the decision makers, so that they can make an informed change in the regulations.

We conducted a poll at a recent outdoor show, which showed that a great majority of hunters do want Sunday hunting, and have also pushed to get this info to the media so that more people will be aware of the facts.

Please visit the website http://www.VaDeer.com to verify what I am saying.
We welcome your support of this issue, and vow to continue the fight so that all hunters in VA my participate in hunting on every day of the week, just as non-hunters enjoy their favorite activities!

Clifford Neames, Publisher
VaaDeer.com

·
Team #28
5,828 Posts
Clifford,

My apologies to you and VAdeer.com. As in your PM to me, I have confused the VAdeer.com group with the Viginia Deer Hunting Association group. VDHA is the group that are big advocates for deer chasing.

Eyedoc

1 - 20 of 111 Posts