Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I started out thinking I would give traditional a try, while I waited on my new compound to come in that I ordered. It was gonna be a couple months, and that would give me time to play with the traditional gear a while and maybe this season I would try to take local game with it, and only use my compound when I go out west elk hunting.
Well I have a big problem now!!! I am thinking about canceling my compound bow that is on order!!!
I traded for a new savana longbow to try my hand at traditional, and I love it. I have only been able to go out and shoot it on about five different occasions now, but I really love it. I am very comfortable at ten yards. about ninty percent in the kill zone at fifteen yards, and only probly sixty percent at twenty to twenty five yards. I want to get to ninty percent out to thirty yards, and then I will feel like I am ready to hunt with it. I have shot probably ninty percent of all my animals within fifteen yards with my compound. However, feeling comfortable to thirty makes the ones inside twenty feel like chip shots.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I guess you could always order another compound in the future,it's not as if there won't be a new model next year huh.

Mind you it won't be that bad because you already have a stringbow that will never be out of date,plus you'll never get told they don't stock parts for it anymore.:wink:

JMHO here,I'm more into archery for it's own sake than I'm into bowhunting,so even though compounds are very very good bowhunting tools,they don't do much for me on a pure archery level,,,I'd cancel the compound myself,,but of course that's up to you.

Good luck what ever you do.

·
Registered
220 Posts
After i try traditional archery, i mean take off sights of my recurve, there is no way back to compound... :p

Long time i used sight on my recurve, then i buy a compound and install sight on it. Then i try my recurve just for fun, if i hit anything. I now hit better without sights than compound with sights. :shade:

I think i don´t need to say, i don´t own that compound or sight anymore... :D

Also one thing is that weight, trad is so light.

And here in Finland it is so cold in winter, i rather carry wooden stick than piece of metal in my hand... :cool:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Well I started out thinking I would give traditional a try, while I waited on my new compound to come in that I ordered. It was gonna be a couple months, and that would give me time to play with the traditional gear a while and maybe this season I would try to take local game with it, and only use my compound when I go out west elk hunting.
Well I have a big problem now!!! I am thinking about canceling my compound bow that is on order!!!
I traded for a new savana longbow to try my hand at traditional, and I love it. I have only been able to go out and shoot it on about five different occasions now, but I really love it. I am very comfortable at ten yards. about ninty percent in the kill zone at fifteen yards, and only probly sixty percent at twenty to twenty five yards. I want to get to ninty percent out to thirty yards, and then I will feel like I am ready to hunt with it. I have shot probably ninty percent of all my animals within fifteen yards with my compound. However, feeling comfortable to thirty makes the ones inside twenty feel like chip shots.
Welcome to the darkside..LOL

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I'm still on the fence as far as going Traditional only. I enjoy shooting Trad, but at the bow weights that I can handle (40-45#) they just do not have the near power and speed that a compound can generate. If I did not hunt elk and stayed with deer and antelope size critters at close range then I could see it. But, I still struggle with the fact that I am more accurate with a compound and feel that when I shoot at an animal, that the animal deserves the very best, most accurate shot I can deliver.........This thought was reinforced at a local 3D shoot last weekend. Saturday I shot my recurve (fairly well, placed 3rd) and Sunday I broke out the Compound. I had not shot it since Christmas, screwed off the broadheads and put the field points on and posted a score in the top 10, over 100 points better than I shot with the Trad bow at ranges that were 10-15 yards further. I'm just not sure Im ready to limit myself at this point or not, time will tell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts