Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Western PA
I finally will get to give feild archery a try this year.I have a club (Pony Farm) minutes away that is rennovating their 50 yr. old feild archery coarse.The gentleman I spoke to called me a young shooter seeing as how I have not shot one of these coarses.
Apparently they want to eventually get the coarse NFAA officially approved.
They are to be holding a "step back in time" shoot in Sept. I will post in the NE shoots when I get all the info in the mail.This type of shoot seems as though anyone can shoot it seeing as how the yardages are marked.That I feel keeps some shooters from coming to shoots and would help kids who can shoot well in their yard at known distances,keeping them interested,save arrows(parents and their $$$) and building self confidence.
I have to read up on how they work.Shooting from one stake and moving forward till you hit?Scoring?Yardages?Equipment classifications?

Shortcuts to the info I am seeking anyone?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Go to the list of sponsors and click on the NFAA, that sight will tell you all about field archery. Basically it's quite simple; 28 targets, four arrows per target, spaced from 20' to 80 yards. Some targets you shoot all four arrows from one stake, some one arrow from each of four stakes, either across (fan) or going closer to the target (walk up). Don't go too nuts first time out, just have fun. You'll learn and improve as you go along. Bring water, power bars and friends with you, as field is best shot in a group. Oh yeah, scoring is 5-4-3 with the X as a tie breaker. Perfect score is 560. Don't obsess about the 80 yarder, there's only one of them and it's really cool to watch the arrrows fly that distance. Have fun!!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
if you have adobe acrobat, i have the nfaa rules in .pdf. just pm me your email address and i'll send it to you.

anyone else that wants the rules, just pm me with your email address and i'll send it out.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Field is funner

If you like too shoot a lot of arrows in a days time field is for you.112 arrows In 28 target round ya only shoot at 70 and 80 yds 2 times so doin't sweat them. All the rest is 65 yds and in to 20 foot bunny shot. Field puts the arch back in archery. charlie

·
74,535 Posts
Shot my first ever field today

My butt was dragging. Very challenging. I did enjoy it and will do it again only with a low poundage bow and not my 3d rigg at 70lbs.

Diffiantly would make any archer a better shooter.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Field Archery

If you really want to get the full enjoyment out of Field Archery, let me recommend you shoot about 10 pound lighter weight bow than your hunting bow so you can make the 28 target at a complete Field or Hunter round. You benefit from the lighter bow on the field round, otherwise you will probably tire a lot quicker with the hunting bow weight and it will cease to be fun a lot sooner too.
I personally like shooting 14 targets for fun because you only shoot 56 arrows instead of 112 arrows. If you intend to complete, then you need to practice shooting a full 28 targets, but just for fun, the 14 targets is the way to go. That way you can gradually built up to the needed endurance for shooting the 28 targets in competition.
Both rounds are designed to make you pay attention at all times, improve your concentration, and your groups which will improve with this type of archery. Have Fun! :wink:

·
74,535 Posts
Ill be posting some pictures this evening

WyoJim said:
Well Dan....What was your score? What was Dean's score is he shot?
Lets just say it was like a Lamb amoung Wolfs :tongue: I got smoked by the old man and he loved it :wink: Had fun!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

I appreciate all the responses!
My computer crapped out on me so I have been unable to veiw or post!
I am at my inlaws today getting my fix ;)
I got the info and will be posting the dates in the NE SHOOTS in a couple days!

Thanks again this should be real fun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.