Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year i bought myself a linemans belt, trying to be safe and all, to climb in and out of fixed positions stands, for 20yrs i just climbed up the steps having no worries whatsoever.i was checking on one of my stands to clear out some vines, climbed up with harness no problem cleared out vines, on my way down i had to remove rope that goes around tree to get around a large limb. in the process of trying to swing rope back around i must have lost my footing and down i went. i remember reaching for branch almost in slow motion then i heard my leg explode, then nothing. i knocked myself out when i hit the ground. when i awoke i could not move and i thought this is it im paralyzed, then slowly i started to move one muscle at a time. i had to crawl to my pack to call for help, the whole time i didnt realize i could not move my legs at all when help finally arrived feelings in my legs came back. i had an emt buddy come out to help and he said im lucky to be alive i asked why he said i fell 17ft and landed exactly between two large tree stumps that stood 4ft off ground, six inches either way and my head/neck would probably have hit first and who knows what would have happened then. well my season is over before it started but i guess i could be worse huh. i shattered my fibula, screws and k wire were needed to do reconstructive surgey, and my knee is basically destroyed, im probably gonna need another surgery to fix the knee when i heal. to everyone please be safe when climbing in and out of trees in a moments notice it could all change. good luck to everyone this season and be SAFE!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Holy crap!!! Man, glad to see all that you came out with just a broken leg. It could have been worse...sorry to see that you're in this condition. Heal fast, bud.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
prayers to you man, hopefully you can atleast ground hunt or just watch the deer or somethin

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,387 Posts
Glad you made it out alive!! I guess it just goes to show that it can happen to anyone (even experienced climbers).

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
[email protected]@mn !! Dude that really sucks but like your friend said look on the bright side it so easily could have been worse. Here's to a speedy recovery and getting full use of your leg back.

Chin up fella and thanks for posting this reminder to us all.

·
Huntin' MO Woods
1,413 Posts
Best wishes on recovery and now you have a lot of down time to rack up on AT! very sorry though, Best of luck

·
Registered
607 Posts
Good luck on a full recovery. You'll be ok, just follow the Doctors orders. I had shoulder surgery last Dec. and thought I would never be able to shoot a bow again. But its all good now.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Wow, glad is was not worse. Hope you recovery completely.

·
Premium Member
11,427 Posts
I know i'll get hammered by all the folks who work for harness and sling companies as my father usta give me crap about it too but..i've never been a fan of using harnesses while ascending or decending for just this reason..sorry to hear about your fall..heal well...heal soon...get back in the hunt. prayers sent. :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks everyone its definately gonna be rough for 20yrs ive been doing this now i cant, i cant even shoot my bow,ugh.i had 2 trips planned this year too i guess kentucky will have to wait. hopefully ill be able to walk in 7-8 weeks then therapy who knows maybe ill get a chance to winter bow hunt.

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's the worst way to be reminded to stay strapped up that I have ever seen. I am so sorry about your leg, brother. Like Boomer said, follow the Doc's orders and don't try and rush anything. Maybe you can get into a ground blind before the rut! Best wishes for a full recovery!

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
That sucks but on a good note, I'm a medical machinist and might have had something to do with your parts they fixed you up with.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks
That sucks but on a good note, I'm a medical machinist and might have had something to do with your parts they fixed you up with.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
I had the privilege of making both my late grandmothers knees. I took a piece of raw material and machined it into a knee from start to finish. That way if it was defective in any way she could take a switch to me like she used to do, lol. Thankfully she nad no problems.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts