Archery Talk Forum banner

Fellow New York state land owners

928 11
Hey everyone, just jumped the border from MA to Columbia county New York. My wife and I purchased a cabin on 23 acres that is currently all timber. I was wondering if anyone knew of any whitetail habitat consultants that could help me get this place off to a good start. Property has good plant diversity and loaded with does, excited for what the future will bring.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,666 Posts
If you have does the bucks will come in the rut I would scout look for pinch points funnels crossing trails food sources bedding areas then put out some cameras. Having success for putting in the time is very rewarding.

· Registered
6,924 Posts
Hey everyone, just jumped the border from MA to Columbia county New York. My wife and I purchased a cabin on 23 acres that is currently all timber. I was wondering if anyone knew of any whitetail habitat consultants that could help me get this place off to a good start. Property has good plant diversity and loaded with does, excited for what the future will bring.
Hunt it for a couple years

learn where they bed, pass thru and feed. Where they feed add chestnut tree, apple tree and fruit trees and clove plots for less maintence

then do some hinge cutting in the bedding areas! I’m no prob but def can help if u ever need. I’m in Ulster county

Reactions: hookedonbow

· Registered
2,658 Posts
Hunt it for a couple years

learn where they bed, pass thru and feed. Where they feed add chestnut tree, apple tree and fruit trees and clove plots for less maintence

then do some hinge cutting in the bedding areas! I’m no prob but def can help if u ever need. I’m in Ulster county
What town? Our farm in the next county over in Stamford.

· Registered
2,658 Posts
I know people in western NY that use genesis wild life group. I think the did work on one of Levi Morgan's farms. Saw Ray the owner at the outdoor show in Harrisburg and said he was swamped and was unable to take anyone else at the moment. He said he could link me up with other people in the state but I wasn't ready to commit this season. You might be able to get a good reference from them.

· Registered
6,924 Posts
What town? Our farm in the next county over in Stamford.
I am Plattekill just outside of new Paltz. We have 127 acers we have done a lot on but got hit with ehd so we kinda took a break

Reactions: vmals

· Registered
36 Posts
Late to the party here, but Whitetail Habitat Solutions has a lot of great free content, primarily on YouTube. I’ve incorporated several of the recommendations from the videos, and I’ve seen a huge increase in buck traffic over the last year. I used to pick up 2-3 bucks on the cameras between August and December, and this year I’ve seen 5 legal bucks and several spike bucks.

The most helpful improvements seem to be: mock scrapes and hanging a licking branch. I’ve caught several of the deer on camera smelling and rubbing the lick branch; it seems to help direct their movements!

· Bettering the last.....
6,160 Posts
There is all the info you’ll ever need on the web. Agree with the observe and react approach.

The DEC is incompetent and over worked. Bad suggestion if they even had the availability- they’re not hunters- they’re techs, biologists… book worms.

Go Tony Lapratt for a small property that size. John Teeter is a guy out of syracuse and Neil/Craig Dougherty is out of the Bath area if you wanted a more local option. The guys that work big ground or the Midwest ag regions can’t bring much to your party.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts