Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Nick Chernega, the Vice President of the New York Field Archers and Bowhunters. Participation in NY archery shoots has declined in recent years, and I am absolutely determined to boost it back up again! However, I'll need help from you other New Yorkers!! If you would like to see NY have a thriving archery population again, please do me a huge favor by sending me a PM with information about which shop/club you shoot at, and I'll contact the shop owner to see what we can do about growing our numbers!! Thank you!

Nick Chernega

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what I'm talking about...

What is nyfab?
The fact that you don't know what NYFAB is is the exact problem that I'll have to remedy. NYFAB stands for the New York Field Archers and Bowhunters; and we are your state archery organization. We hold indoor spot shoots, outdoor spot and 3D shoots, and we also voice an opinion in government political meetings. Please let me know what shop you shoot at, and I'll be sure to add that shop to the list of shops to contact and get some information about us to. Also, please feel free to check our website out at

http://members.localnet.com/~archery1

· Registered
183 Posts
politcal

You need to get back to fighting for bowhunter rigths agian example: days we are losing in our bow season .
I dont like NYB and do not like their stand on any issues.When I was a menber me and my friends used to talk about the rigths nyfab has gotten us NOW no body even knows who nyfab is YOU MUST BECOME VISIBLE AGIAN.

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nyfab

You need to get back to fighting for bowhunter rigths agian example: days we are losing in our bow season .
I dont like NYB and do not like their stand on any issues.When I was a menber me and my friends used to talk about the rigths nyfab has gotten us NOW no body even knows who nyfab is YOU MUST BECOME VISIBLE AGIAN.
While I won't say that I dislike NYB (because ANY organization that supports the rights of hunters and sportsmen in general has my support), I have heard several people say that they disagree with some of the NYB views. I know what you're saying about being visible...for the last several years, no steps whatsoever have been taken to advertise our organization or shoots. One of the good things about having more members is that you will indeed have a louder voice when it comes to politics.

· Registered
183 Posts
nyfab history all new yorkers should kown

The History of
New York State Archers & Bowhunters
N.Y.F.A.B.

NEW YORK FIELD ARCHERS (NYFA) was organized in 1949 by a group of "bowhunters". The members of this group believed that the bowhunters of this State needed to group together in order to address their needs.

Dr. Paul Crouch, a bowhunter who was responsible for the two week bow season for the antlered deer in 1948, was NYFA's first Bowhunter and Conservation Chairman. Dr. Crouch, along with his successor, Bill Wadsworth, and NYFA, were instrumental in achieving many of the hunting privileges we enjoy today. These include:

* In 1952 it became legal to take a deer of either sex while bowhunting.

* In 1967 bowhunting stamp was first issued. The stamp plus a big game license enabled a person to hunt deer with a bow in the early "bowhunting only" season.

* In 1974 the bow season was extended to four weeks in the Northern Zone and to five weeks in the Southern Zone.

* In 1975 a five day bow season was added after the gun season.

* In 1976 the Junior Archery License became effective.

* In 1977 the pilot course of the Bowhunter Education Program began with volunteers from NYFA holding classes for all new bowhunters.

* In 1979 use of the mechanical release was approved for bowhunting.

* In 1980 the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation adopted the BEP course and required that all bowhunters complete a bowhunting training course. NOTE: This course is being used throughout the United States and the world. NYFA boasts very proudly that we piloted such a prestigious and timely program.

* In 1982 NYFA becomes New York Field Archers & Bowhunters ( NYFAB).

* In 1986 the "second deer permit" was adopted.

* In 1987 NYFAB supported the Deer Search program which was adopted by the DEC

· Registered
183 Posts
to be fair here are nyb histroy

Specific Accomplishments;
* use of Deer Management Permits (DMP’s) during last ten days of early, southern zone, bow seasons Fall 1996

* use of Special 2 Deer Tag during late bow season as an either sex tag Fall 1999

* use of DMP’s during early, southern zone, bow seasons - added 6 more days

* use of Deer Management Assistance Permits (DMAPS) during bow seasons Fall 2001

* add one month to Suffolk County archery-only season (Nov. 1st to Oct. 1st.

* changed definition of legal bow from an arrow that can propel a legal broadhead 150 yards to a 35 lb. minimum draw weight May 2002 - altered DEC Conservation Fund/deer management budget bill to include:

* 2nd tag (antlerless) for archers during early special seasons in both zones * create parity between resident & non-resident deer hunters - 3 tags, 2 bucks only

* successful northern zone deer hunters will have more flexibility to hunt in multiple seasons statewide.

* low fees for junior hunters & trappers

* allow use of DMP’s for junior archers & no extra fee charged

* junior archers can hunt during all the “regular” firearm seasons with either sex tag * residents who purchase lifetime, big game licenses and move out-of-state can now purchase other big game licenses at resident fee rates Fall 2002

* supported passage of DEC Automated License System (DECALS) expanded use of DMP’s during the entire length of southern zone early bow season

* big game hunters can consign up to two DMP’s to other hunters

* hunters who have tagged-out may continue to participate in the hunt for the remainder of the big game seasons as long as they do not attempt to shoot at another deer

* expand use of DMAPS from 2 to 4 tags per hunter in Regions 8 & 9 Fall 2004

* add 17 days to the Westchester Co.archery-only season (Nov. 1st to Oct. 15th)

* allow for use of DMP’s during archery seasons by non-resident hunters * passage of venison donation fund bill, allowing for volunteer contribution of $1 when purchasing sporting licenses NYB was instrumental in participating in the Future of Deer Hunting meetings held by the DEC. These meetings and subsequent bill approval by the governor resulted in the following;

* big game hunters can consign up to two DMP’s to other hunters

* hunters who have tagged-out may continue to participate in the hunt for the remainder of the big game seasons as long as they do not attempt to shoot at another deer

· Registered
11,796 Posts
Any help you need in region 9, please let us know. With 24% of all big game hunters found in this Region, it may be worth your while to explore involvement here, if you're not already.

With Erie County being the largest county for all license sales in NYS, bar none, perhaps attending a Federation meting to inform the 56+ clubs in Erie of what you're doing and increase more awareness would be a good thing?

Our next Federation meeting is on July 23, 2009, at 7:30 PM, I believe at GlenCoe Conservation, Glenwood, NY, not far from Sprague Brook Park.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.