Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any feral sheep or feral goat game calls that i can buy?

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I don't know about sheep but a baby goat sounds just like a fawn when it bleats.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i just should look for a fawn bleat call??

·
Registered
877 Posts
What You Hoping to Use it For?

Aloha Big Island,

You goin' to try to call sheep and goats to you? Sounds like fun.

You should be able to mimic them with your voice reasonably well. I guess the trick will be to find the pitch that works.

You're probably familiar with the way the rifle hunters do it? Wound a goat and let it bleat until other goats show up... not exactly humane, but "this ain't Hollywood."

My buddy was stalking a mouflon on Lanai a few years ago and shot over its back. I "baaed" at the 3/4 curl ram and it froze staring at me. I held its attention while my buddy slung three more arrows at it before finally hitting it. Steep downhill angle made it a tough shot--not to mention the mounting tension!

If you have luck with your calling, let us know!

Shadow Man

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well went rifle hunting this past weekend and called in a decent sized feral ram.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Congratulations! Were you packing a camera? It'd be nice to see a picture.

How'd the hunt develop? Did you stalk relatively close and mouth-call it or what?

I had a pig hunt planned for the weekend, but my buddy got smacked at an intersection day before yesterday by a drunk driver in Honolulu. His car got totaled, but Jason's all right. If he can borrow the family car, we'll still chase pigs. I hope I remember the camera.

Shadow Man

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it was a toss up between archery or rifle. It was rifle. Walked about 3.5 miles and decided to rest on the new lava flow. Well after resting for about 3 minutes, we saw a couple of ewe's walking on the top and then I decided to use my quaker boy hammer head deer call. It does sound like a sheep/goat if used correctly. Well after calling 2 times we hear A cry in front of us and start to get ready. Then the unexpected happend, Out in the open lava here comes a ram. Except it was walking right towards us and then stopped 20 yards away. Damm! should have brought the bow. Boom! the sheep drops. And this is what it looked like.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry had trouble resizing it

Attachments

·
Registered
877 Posts
Right on! Nice ram.

Keep experimenting with that call. Maybe you've discovered something really useful.

Keep us posted!

Going up the mountain after work. Here piggy, piggy!

Shadow Man

·
The Impartial Archer
18,805 Posts
I don't know of any good ones.....just Baaaaad ones.:tomato:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts