Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Mathews Monster off Ebay got an incredible deal on it. Except for a release and BH's it's ready to hunt. Problem is I'm new to archery.

so i was wondering is there any special equipment i need for this bow for tuning or maintenance. One thing I may need to do is change the draw module. Guy at BPS said mine is 29" i did the math with arm span and got 29.5" but according to my height it's 30.5....lol. So when the bow shows up with it's 30" draw, I will try it and see if it suits but if I need to change it would like to have an idea on what is needed like a bow press, torq's wrenches, or hex heads or god forbid a slotted screwdriver.

now that i'm done jabbering about that. New question . if all goes well i would like to shoot a 450+ grain arrow. for quiet and kenetic energy advantages. as I've stated i'm a newb. So is there a problem with carrying different types of broadheads possible mixing mechanicals with fixed blades. in the event i want to try a new head or feel a situation warrants a new head

something else the auction i bought my bow from said it was a 70# bow. but he said in the auction that it maxxed at like 74#'s. and i've seen other places say it maxes past the 70# mark as well. what dis/advantages are there in setting it up to the max

alrighty well thats all for now

thanks in advance for any and all help or insight

Chris

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt
i know some of these are how can i put this probably "lame" . but i obviously need help.
someone please end my ignorance. i need answers. by the grace of God "let there be light"

·
Registered
594 Posts
1) no special equipment needed. a archers allen key may be of use though for easy adjustments.

2) no problem carrying different ones, just know how each one fly's. i would recommend sticking with one for simplicity but its up to you.

3) bow are designed with that as their "max" but they will perform fine. the string/ cable might strech more than normal though.

i would stick with 70. 3 pounds doesn't make much difference at them weights anyway.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Garth i figured comedy would get someone. :)

on the question about Heads . I guess you kinda answered it maybe already. i was wondering if different heads fly differently. even with the arrows being the same weight

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would recommend you find the nearest Archery Pro shop. Nothing like getting face-to-face assistance.
thanks that is good advice and i agree
waiting till the bow actually arrive before i do that. Luckily i have one just across town.

i was just trying to get some heads up info kind like a prelaunch check list.

i sure hope my arrows fly and not my bow that wouldn't be good i bet

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,334 Posts
I would recommend you find the nearest Archery Pro shop. Nothing like getting face-to-face assistance.
+1......... I dont recommend getting advice and tuning help from BPS. Thats JMHO.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1......... I dont recommend getting advice and tuning help from BPS. Thats JMHO.
well yea thats why I'm waiting for the bow to show then give it a try before i just run out and buy the 29" modules.

i got a friend that he hunts pretty avidly. pretty much whatever is in season. We had one open up here within the last year. He decided to check it out. afterwards this is what he told me "never go there looking for help, other than shoe size and even then be leery."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts