Archery Talk Forum banner

Few Questions for You Guys

1307 35
Hello all, I'm new to the board.

I am just getting into archery. I have a few guns that I target shoot at my parents property but have never hunted before. I am intrigued by archery because of the traditional and primitive aspect of it. I really want to start hunting, and find the idea of hunting with a traditional longbow fascinating.

Here's my questions:

Are you allowed to continue hunting with bows once gun season starts?

Not to sound too dorky, but has anyone ever kind of role played while bow hunting? Like pretending you are living hundreds of years ago and you need to kill something to feed your family?

Look forward to chatting with everyone.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

I just read up on some old topics of peoples traditional bow hunting stories and I am getting so excited to start! The idea of dressing in the primitive clothing and all that sounds so fun to me, I can't even believe I havn't thought of starting this earlier.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
In Texas, basically the month of October is archery only hunting and with the beginning of November, gun season starts. We can use our archery tackle during the gun months to hunt with.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys I'm looking for my first bow to buy.

After reading topics on where I should start, I found this
PSE Buckeye Recurve Bow (sorry couldn't post link becuz of post count)

Do you think this would be a good start bow? I was thinking about buying the 30# one. Obviously I would initially just be target shooting, but my dad is turkey hunting in a couple months. So, in theory, would this be powerful enough to take down a turkey if I miraculously had a shot and hit it? Also what kind of arrows are needed for htis kind of bow? Thanks

· Registered
1,760 Posts
bow

I'm not familair with that PSE, but they make good bows. IMO 30 might be a little lite, I'd go 35#. I know most states have a minimum poundage for hunting big game, you might check and see if they have one for turkeys. I've never turkey hunted but I'd imagine for someone who hasn't shot bows it might be expecting alot to get good enough to shoot past 10 yrds. To get that close to a turkey I would think you would have to use a blind, so you would have to get good at shooting kneeling or sitting. If it was me I would be tempted to use a shotgun on my first turkey hunt, then next year go with a bow.Also, might be helpful to know your draw length. You gain or lose 3# for each inch of DL.. Otherwise your on the right track with a light # bow for a starter.- Steve

· Registered
11,287 Posts
I found this
PSE Buckeye Recurve Bow...Do you think this would be a good start bow?
Absolutely...a good starter bow.

How old are you?

Just make sure you can comfortably hold the draw weight at anchor for at least 10 sec. to make sure you have a bow you can develop good consistant form with.

So, in theory, would this be powerful enough to take down a turkey if I miraculously had a shot and hit it?
Check your state laws and regs regarding legal draw weight for hunting.

Use a Guillotine broadhead and only aim for the head and you will either most likely totally miss or come home with dinner. Much better than potentially wounding one and never retrieving it.

Also what kind of arrows are needed for htis kind of bow?
I would guess for a 30lbs. bow drawn about 26" using a 125g. Gobbler Guillotine broadhead an Easton 1916 or 1816 should be close.

Ray ;)

· Registered
11,287 Posts
Are you allowed to continue hunting with bows once gun season starts?
Check your local game regs to find out for sure.

Here in Colorado you can basically hunt with any legal weapon during rifle season as long as you are wearing the required amount of hunter's orange clothing.

Not to sound too dorky, but has anyone ever kind of role played while bow hunting? Like pretending you are living hundreds of years ago and you need to kill something to feed your family?
Absolutely! The imagination is a terrible thing to waste...even when you are older ;) Never loose touch with your inner child...it makes life much more fun and interesting ;)

Ray ;)

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks, great info Ray.

I am 22 years old and 5'11" 165 lbs. I am having to order this bow online of Cabelas because of location. Do you think 30# would be okay? It comes in 20, 25 or 30#. I just didn't want to purchase one with too light of a weight and have to upgrade very soon.

BTW, arrows are expensive! (EDIT: not too bad, i thought the prices were per arrow, but they seem to come in groups)

· Registered
11,287 Posts
Thanks, great info Ray.

I am 22 years old and 5'11" 165 lbs. I am having to order this bow online of Cabelas because of location. Do you think 30# would be okay? It comes in 20, 25 or 30#. I just didn't want to purchase one with too light of a weight and have to upgrade very soon.

BTW, arrows are expensive!
Oh...you're older than I thought ;)

Before you purchase a bow...I would highly recommend that you find out what your draw length is and try out a 30lbs. bow to find out if it's right for you.

If that's not possible...30lbs. is most likely something you should be able to easily learn with...but like you said...you may want to upgrade soon.

If that's the case...I would look into Quinn bows...that way when you decide to upgrade...you can just purchase heavier limbs without having to buy a whole new bow.

Ray ;)

· Registered
1,947 Posts
My first bow was a PSE Impala. If the BuckEye runs the same quality as the Impala does, you will have a fine bow!

30# is fine to start with, but may be a little light for hunting. As it was previously stated, check your state regs. Here in SC we can use any poundage, any part of the season.
Yes, arrows ARE expensive. Over the years I bet I have spent more on arrows than on my bows, LOL!! A few great places to buy is Ye Old Archery Shop(http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/) and FS-Discout Archery(http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/). Both have give me great coustermer service and great products.

You will need "field tips" to shoot targets with. DO NOT use your broadheads unless your shooting at a critter! It dulls them and is dangerous.

You can make yourself a bag target cheaply enough. You can also make a carpet target or a layered cardboard target. I made the latter and it has lasted me 3 years so far.

I hope this has been helpful. If you need anything, ask away!

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the info guys.

One last question.

I found that same PSE buckeye bow in a 35# draw weight on FSdiscountarchery. I know you won't be able to give me a 100% answer without me getting fitted but would you recommend that over 30# if ordering online was only option?

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well guys the bow purchase took a different turn!

I went to my dad's and told him how I wanted to get into archery so I could hunt with him. I knew he had a vast gun collection but didn't think he was into archery. He smiled, went into his den, threw me a bow, and said merry Christmas! It's a 1953 Bear Kodiak Special. It's a 47# draw, way too heavy, but how can you turn down a gift from your dad? We're going shooting up at his property next weekend. Can't wait! (sorry for crappy cell phone pic)

· Registered
11,287 Posts
Well guys the bow purchase took a different turn!

I went to my dad's and told him how I wanted to get into archery so I could hunt with him. I knew he had a vast gun collection but didn't think he was into archery. He smiled, went into his den, threw me a bow, and said merry Christmas! It's a 1953 Bear Kodiak Special. It's a 47# draw, way too heavy, but how can you turn down a gift from your dad? We're going shooting up at his property next weekend. Can't wait! (sorry for crappy cell phone pic)

Awesome! Here's the perfect opportunity to see what draw weight and what draw length you might actually need.

Have you strung it up and tried drawing it yet? Looks like you might need a string for it???

47lbs. will most likely be to heavy for your first bow...but at least you now have a bow you can work up to if it is too heavy ;)

Ray ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.